Stoops addresses Marcus Walker’s arrest on KSR

On May 24, safety Marcus Walker was arrested for drug trafficking when police found more than $95,000 of cash in his house along with more than five pounds of marijuana and 52.86 grams of suspected cocaine powder. He was dismissed from the Kentucky football team, but Mark Stoops hasn’t commented on the matter…until now. Stoops addressed Walker’s arrest and dismissal on Kentucky Sports Radio this morning.

“It’s very disappointing. I have 105 guys on the team and so many guys are doing so many good things. It makes me so proud of the things we’re accomplishing and the things we’re doing. These kids are like children to me, so anytime somebody does something like that, it’s very disappointing. It disappoints me because the only thing I can do is work unbelievably hard to put these kids in a position to be successful. To educate them, to help them. People in all areas of their life, we work extremely hard. Just like a parent would parent. You put them in the best situation you can. Sometimes they fail. When they fail, I’m very disappointed.

“It’s hurtful. It hurts our program and I’m disappointed that it happened and I’m going to work as hard as I’ve always worked to put our players in a position to be successful. But I can tell you this: I can’t say enough about our team and the good things that they’re doing. When this happens, it definitely hurts. It hurts me, and it disappoints me that we didn’t get to everybody and we’re going to continue to try.”

Teams are reportedly already using the arrest against Kentucky in recruiting. How can the staff counteract that?

“If they do, they do. We don’t live in a glass house here. We don’t throw stones because the only thing we worry about in recruiting is ourselves and the position we put kids in to be successful, and we’re very proud of that. So, every school would have to look at themselves. If they’re perfect, good for them.”

[mobile_ad]

9 Comments for Stoops addresses Marcus Walker’s arrest on KSR

1. StuckinLville
    11:12 am June 21, 2018 Permalink

Rarely ever is a UK player in trouble. And this was clearly a case of recruiting someone and not really knowing who they are. Kid has been in the game awhile to have drugs and cash like that. Negative recruiting would be leaving him on the team and covering it up like many other schools do.

• Booby Petrino
      12:20 pm June 21, 2018 Permalink

Maybe it’s negative in a different respect. Like, I can hear this coming from Petrino: I can’t believe UK dropped you for some minor drug offenses. Come play for Louisville, we’ll let any criminal play for us!

2. Sentient Third Eye
    11:21 am June 21, 2018 Permalink

How can teams use drug arrest for negative recruiting? “Look, just because you get busted as a drug dealer, Kentucky will take away your scholarship! If you come play for us instead, we’ll sweep it under the rug!”

• Kernel Sanders
      12:18 pm June 21, 2018 Permalink

I think the negative recruiting angle would be other schools telling kids (and more damaging telling parents) that these are the kinds of kids UK recruits and are on the squad. That these type of kids would be influencing your kid. Or that this is the environment at UK and/or Lexington. I don’t believe any of that…I think Marcus Walker is just a rare case. Having said that, when I was at UK many years ago, there were some players from Coral Gables FL on the team that served as a known connection to South FL nose candy. It was NOT a big secret.

• Booby Petrino
      12:21 pm June 21, 2018 Permalink

crap, made my reply above before reading your comment lol

3. Alleykat16
    12:13 pm June 21, 2018 Permalink

They could use that in a few ways, but the main one a few schools would use is : come to our school and you’ll never have to worry about getting busted we work with the local police to make sure they

4. Alleykat16
    12:21 pm June 21, 2018 Permalink

Turn their heads the other way. We even have fake classes you dont even have to go to.

5. UKfansNKY
    3:29 pm June 21, 2018 Permalink

Other Teams already using the arrest against KY in recruiting……………………….Ha,. Imagine that, If you get in trouble or arrested and are on “our” Team…………….”.we will just turn our heads and we have pull with the local authorities, so you won’t be punished here!!! lol

6. TBW3011
    5:15 pm June 21, 2018 Permalink

Wow that kid looks like Cam Newton from the eyes down.