Stoops addresses low ticket sales for season opener

We found out last week there were still 20,000 tickets remaining for Kentucky’s opener vs. Central Michigan. When asked about the low ticket sales during his press conference today, Mark Stoops said he’s appreciative of the fans that put in the time, money, and effort to attend games because it makes a world of difference to the team.

“Like always, I’m super appreciative of the people that come because we need them. We need the atmosphere and encourage all folks to be all hands on deck because it makes a difference. You’ve heard me say it, it’s not just some silly cliche, but it takes all of us all the time. We need a bunch of people to build this program the way we want it to be.

“Just take a look around the Southeastern Conference and take a look at the venues we step into. It helps. It helps in recruiting. It helps with a lot of things. We need some people there and I appreciate the people that have been coming. I also realize it takes a lot. I understand the complaints and it’s expensive. It takes a long time. It’s hard to park. There are a lot of things, so I greatly appreciate it because when you’re going to a football game, you better be invested because it’s a full day. There’s a lot to do and I greatly appreciate the support.”

If you want to be there in person to see Kentucky crush Central Michigan, visit UKFootballTix.com.

[mobile_ad]

33 Comments for Stoops addresses low ticket sales for season opener

1. RackEmWillie
    1:34 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Attendance is down just about everywhere.

I’m also assuming that CMU fans haven’t exactly been lining up to buy tickets.

2. GuyWithTheCheckPants
    1:44 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Student season ticket sales are a cluster this year. Don’t be surprised if student attendance slumps earlier than normal.

• Kat4Life
      2:01 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

It’s not just students…..it’s alumni and supporters as well.

3. deepsouthfan
    1:56 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Attendance is a direct reflection of team success and excitment…..

• Cattington
      2:32 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Really? We’d draw well when 2-10, so I can’t really believe that.

4. Kat4Life
    2:00 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Can’t wag your finger at the fanbase until we stop putting mediocrity on the field and start winning some meaningful games. That’ll fix ticket sales. Guaranteed.

• shelby
      8:18 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Stoops took over the worst program in the ncaa and has now taken us to consecutive bowl games. Ur a pathetic excuse for a fan.

5. E11Q
    2:01 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

I mean, it’s Central Michigan. Not Michigan State coming in to town. Cats don’t play anyone with more than 3 dormitories on their campus for their non-conference schedule. Idw to hear about “how tough the SEC is” either. We play in the East which is an absolute JV league AND we miss the big boys from the West. It’d be a shame to play another Power 5 school to open the year instead of Central Michigan. Only one of two things can happen….A) UK wins big (which they should) or B) UK decides to be UK and gets beat, at home, by an inferior team. Neither of those two options really inspire one to drop money on the hiked up ticket prices, overly inflated concession stand food, or the traffic to get to the stadium when I can watch all of that from the comfort of my couch.

• mashburnfan1
      2:34 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Yes concessions are high but I avoid them except for a drink as it will be hot and me and the kid need to hydrate. Traffic I have no trouble at all at any game from UGA {which was packed} to EKU {which was not} where I park {for free}. I take the shuttle to and from parking so that is $4 for both of us. I do have season tix in section 203 1st row so Kfund is $100 per ticket and this game is $30 each so I got $80 or so in them. So I am at about $100 for several hours of entertainment from Cat Walk to concert to game for the two of us. If I lived around there that is not bad and you can get free water to drink. If you are there a while you may eat so add $25, we eat before and after the game for about $30. Now I have to drive from East of Columbus Ohio so fuel and wear and tear on car are costly and we stay over, will stay Sat night since it is a 3:30 start, we stay over on Friday nights for noon games. But we make a trip of it and catch a Reds game coming home or go to Newport or the zoo or scene 75 to make the drive more worth it. We love our game weekends and our C-A-T-S CATS CATS CATS.

• My Dixie Wrecked
      9:49 am August 28, 2018 Permalink

You drive from the other side of Columbus to watch this crap?

• [email protected]
      5:21 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

With 26,000 students one would think there would be more than 3 dorms.

6. BluKudzu
    2:18 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Outside of that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?
    I will be there.
    I know several that have elected not to re-up their season tickets, citing the same that has been mentioned here.
    I guess I am the dummy. At least I will have the right to voice my opinion regarding the Cats.
    I hope it to be good.
    Go Cats.

• mashburnfan1
      2:53 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

I kept mine, in fact upgraded this yar so I say thank you to whoever bolted from my new seats. Is about how you choose to spend your money, some just can’t afford it and I understand that and hope your situation changes. Some are smoking their cigs as they type about not having money to go. Some are eating one of their many bags of chips from the cabinet or their many donuts etc. If you budget alot of these people can go to a game or two if they wanted. For me there is nothing like being there, I know it is more comfortable at home but does not match being there.

• cats646
      5:59 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Agree mashburnfan, there is nothing in the world like being at UK football game. I’m always looking forward to it. From the catwalk to the game, when the atmosphere is great, it truly is my favorite place to be.
      6 days!!!
      Go cats!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Catcasey1
    2:31 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

We loose this first game! Then watch people bolt Mr stoops

• Booby Petrino
      2:41 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

What does being loose have to do with this? Isn’t that a good thing?

• mashburnfan1
      2:48 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

You should bolt to English and spelling class.

• cats646
      6:00 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Pipe down Catcasey. It’s football season. You can talk when basketball starts.

8. MHS64
    2:31 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Many forget the finances involved. With four away conference games and an every other year away game, UK needs these three home games each year. Take a look at other teams schedule in the SEC. in the old days of six conference games they could have home and home against other power five teams and still have the three cupcakes

9. Booher
    2:45 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Got my fantasy draft that same day

10. StuckinLville
    2:50 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Why is it so hard for coaches and administration to figure out thats prices has everything to do with it? I’d love to go but not everyone can shell out the money so we watch it on TV instead.

11. Jonathan40330
    3:06 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

I certainly cannot speak for everyone nor would I try to do so, but many fans have a hard time getting excited about a team that will, in all likelihood, only beat CMU by around 10 points (maybe less). While Stoops has had a modicum of success at UK, his teams are often drab offensively and mediocre defensively, which doesn’t exactly inspire ticket sales. While UK has hung around in or won a couple games when we should’ve been clobbered, we also rarely, if ever, run a mid-major off of the field. Many fans want to see a team average at least 30 points a game with some flash and excitement and UK simply has not been that team under Stoops except for a few exceptions.

12. doublenaughtspy
    3:11 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Perhaps the Mid day sun has something to do with it? Not to mention that for many UK fans who are also hunters, this is the opening day of Dove season! I for one will not be at Commonwealth, but under a shade tree with my hunting dog shooting doves AND listening to the game. If it was later where I could do both then heck yeah I would be there, I can catch the game on tape but not a good opening weekend dove shoot.

13. BBNBRIAN
    3:32 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

My advice to Stoops… As of right now, our “brand” is “Stoops poops the bed in the big game”. You are asking fans to buy into the hype (again) and dish out even more money (again) for what has proven time and again to be an inferior product. You really want to improve ticket sales for the next home game? Put up 40+ points on CMU. Based on the hype 40+ points is entirely realistic. Give the fans something to be excited about, until then, best of luck. I love our team, I love our players, but our head coach still has something to prove to get me to buy in. Once bitten, twice shy, baby.

• jaws2
      3:52 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Damn Brian, they’re (and you know who you are) are gonna run you out of here for this logic! You must be a troll, we don’t need fans like you yada yada, yada, blah, blah, blah….ad nausea!!!!
      We haven’t blown a team out that we should since Stoops has been here. I’ll be here Saturday, again, but I don’t expect a blowout. I’d really like Stoops to surprise me though.

14. Narpinder Patel
    4:35 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

All right, Mark. I just bought 5 tickets for me and my family. Don’t let me down.

15. zoupman
    5:10 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Tickets prices are too high and they do not make it easy for students to get them.

16. gasman01
    6:01 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Beat Florida I the 8th and you will see a surge in ticket sales. It would also be nice if you would give us season ticket holders a break at the concession stands!!!

17. Catcasey1
    6:37 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Yep ur right cats646 it’s hard to get fired up this time of year.

• cats646
      10:25 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

It’s not even a little bit hard to get fired up. The season of the best sport is about to start and your Kentucky Wildcats will be good.
      6! More! Days!!!!

18. N-UR-i
    9:31 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Cost too much. Gas, Parking, Admission, Drinks, Food for me and my 3 kids….. $250 – $300.

19. bacnine
    7:26 am August 28, 2018 Permalink

Ticket sales are down? Surely, you jest. UK Athletic department is a joke. They are not serious about trying to sell tickets or parking passes. I called about 4:10 today to check on changing my parking pass. I get a recording the hours are 9:00 to 4:00. Do they really care? No, of course not. They ran off the core fans that supported them through good and bad, mostly bad. The only thing that we had to enjoy was tailgating. That was the common bond that brought us back to the games. This was also before all the games were televised. Then they eliminated/changed our seats and our parking pass or moved it into a parking structure. Who wants to tailgate in a parking structure. Many tailgates ceased to exist for the core fans. There is an adage in business it is harder and more expensive to get new customers so you need to retain your existing ones. Well, that ship has sailed. That core group is not coming back. They moved our seats, eliminated our parking passes. The games are too long and we have bone head coaches. Thanks to our fabulous ESPN package we can see every game on TV. We don’t have to worry about setting around a bunch of drunk obnoxious fans and sit in the comfort of ours home. Then when it gets embarrassing we can change the channel and watch some real football.