Steelers announce Avery Williamson trade

Avery Williamson will be a Pittsburgh Steeler once he clears the team physical, the Steelers announced Monday. News of Pittsburgh’s trade for Williamson leaked out on Sunday, now Pittsburgh is making it official with a statement announcing the addition of the former Wildcat linebacker.

Williamson tweeted, “Steel City,” and made a funny Instagram post for his departure from New York:

Two of Williamson’s new teammates, fellow UK alums Benny Snell and Bud Dupree, were quick to comment. Calvin Taylor Jr. is also in Pittsburgh on the practice squad, making it four former Cats on the undefeated Steelers.

So far in 2020, Williamson has six starts with 59 tackles, three pass breakups and an interception, all for the New York Jets, his former team. Williamson signed with the Jets as a free agent from the Tennessee Titans in 2018 and led the team in tackle in his first season in New York. He missed 2019 with a torn ACL suffered in the preseason, and now goes from winless to undefeated in his comeback season.

Bengals fans, your thoughts on the the Steelers being BBN’s new team in the NFL?

Article written by Drew Franklin

9 Comments for Steelers announce Avery Williamson trade

1. BlueSteel
    11:38 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

Love it!!! Here we go Steelers, Here we go!! And I am DEFINITELY not a Bengals fan.

2. Wildfelinebeeline
    11:43 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

Go Steelers!

3. cats646
    11:56 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

Awesome

4. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    12:49 pm November 2, 2020 Permalink

Steelers STINK!!! I’m an old school Steeler hater. My sports hate, just like with the Dodgers, goes back to the 70s. Of course the Dodgers haven’t been a division rival for a long time, but I still sports hate them!

Having said that, good for Avery. I can’t pull for the Steelers. I don’t care it they’re all Cats all the time. But if they do win the whole thing (*cringe*), I’ll be happy personally for the former Cats.

I still hope they don’t though. Hatehatehate!!!

• dcforuk
      9:04 pm November 2, 2020 Permalink

70s – That is why I dislike the Cowboys, UofL, ND Football, etc. But, Franco, Lynn Sean, Stallworth and TB and the Steel Curtain along with that “hey kid, catch” commercial, hooked me in early. Come on over! There’s room for you!

5. zoupman
    1:31 pm November 2, 2020 Permalink

Pittsburgh got Williamson, by trading very little. Seems he should have brought more?

6. nocode96
    1:41 pm November 2, 2020 Permalink

I live in Pittsburgh and this town’s love and devotion to the penguins and especially the “Stillers” is the only fandom that I’ve ever personally experienced that is even close to our level of love and devotion to the Cats on the hardwood.

7. KYCat4EVER
    8:05 pm November 2, 2020 Permalink

Not an NBA fan… so after KENTUCKY comes off their chest… do not care where they play, who they play for, or when they kneel!

Was raised a Bengal Fan… and a former UK footballer who is not wearing KENTUCKY on his chest doesn’t concern me!

GO BIG BLUE!