Starting Quarterback Update: There is no starting quarterback

reese-phillips

TV crews in Lexington tracked down Neal Brown on his way to a Kentucky Rotary luncheon this afternoon to ask the UK offensive coordinator about Kentucky’s current quarterback situation. Brown couldn’t name a starter but said Patrick Towles looked the best in the spring game after reviewing the tape. However, Reese Phillips has been the most solid in practices.

Brown also said the Cats are still a year away from where they want to be, but they’re improving.

Article written by Drew Franklin

28 Comments for Starting Quarterback Update: There is no starting quarterback

1. Lazy
    3:08 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

Great post Drew, you got a lot accomplished in the hour and 12 minutes since your last post.

• Grammar King
      3:16 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

I bet he works harder than you.

• Drew Franklin
      3:21 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

Thanks. I also ate some Pringles, walked the dog, and watched 20-30 YouTube videos.

2. Boogie Fan
    3:21 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

TV crews tracked him down is a great line. Sounds very Cutler/Billy Clydeish. And that video never gets old.

3. cracka
    3:25 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

pat easily looked the best in the spring game, but this is the start of his third year at uk … drew wasn’t far behind so it appears he has a higher ceiling … it would be tough on him to take over later in the year because he’ll be facing the sec, so if he gets close to where pat is by the start of the season I think you have to go ahead and pull the trigger and let him play the non-conf schedule … whatchu peeps think?

4. Glenn Fohr
    3:41 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

Philips is solid and he has reached his celing. Pat has just scratched the surface and as we all saw Drew needs a redshirt year. Pat will be the man this fall.

• MATTYG123
      3:58 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

I definitely don’t think Barker is a clear redshirt. Barker showed some potential. What I do like about Barker is that he has the ability to scramble and get out of trouble, where Towles does not. That said, I do believe Towles will be our starter come August 30th. I think Barker and Reese will get some quality PT this year due to injuries, but I hope I’m wrong. It would be nice to go through a football season without losing a QB to injury, but thats the life we live with our previous make-shift O-Line and SEC Defenses. Go Cats!

• BBN
      4:03 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

Matty… Pretty sure Towles is just as fast as Barker.

• MATTYG123
      4:27 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

I strongly disagree, or at least I haven’t seen the evidence to support that. Go look at Barker’s HS rushing stats, that’s why I made the statement. Again, I have nothing against Towles, and I think he’ll be our starter, but I do think that Barker is the future of this football team and I can’t help but get excited.

5. BBN
    3:44 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

Towles should start. He bleeds blue and deserves the chance. Plus he can bomb the ball further than Uncle Rico

6. Alabama or UK
    3:47 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

So all the Barker hype and all of the recruiting he did, and these clowns don’t even give him a bone today. Stoops got a contract extension and all coaches got a raise after going 2-10. Hilarious!

7. lonnieb
    3:49 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

Not trying to bash whitlow, but he was the best qb in practice as well. We saw what that got us. I agree with the poster above. Unless someone is significantly better than barker they need to give him the rock and turn the page to the future

• lonnieb
      3:51 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

If the other QB’s could not start over whitlow they do not need to play now

• MATTYG123
      4:00 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

Well said, lonnieb

8. Burdies
    3:49 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

Yep, Whitlow and Smith started in front of all of these guys last season. What the he**

9. Neal Stoops
    3:53 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

None of you have a clue!

10. In the grove
    3:55 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

They are one year away from they want to be. Really?

These coaches are on a mission to become rich. They will be saying they are one year, two years, five years away when they go 2-10 again this year. This isn’t Disneyworld. Players are beginning to get pis**d off. Look for some of the incoming class to jump ship. This everything is roses is total bu**sh**!

• Mxyzptlk
      4:15 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

It is better to remain quiet and be thought a fool than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt.

• Microwave Society
      4:17 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

Ding! I think your Hot Pocket is ready. Its going to take time dude, sorry if you dont like reality. Also how would you know the players are getting pis**d off? Pretty sure everybody understands the rebuilding situation.

11. Big Mike in the Wood
    3:58 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

Yes Whitlow did start over these kids but for once Towles wasn’t named the starter he asked the coaches to redshirt him to preserve another year. So I don’t see how you trolls can hold that against him.

12. RICK
    4:15 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

Here we go again, name a starter. Why is it we get these big name quarterbacks and then some guy that didn’t even play quarterback in high school may be the starter. Same old BS.

13. Neal Brown
    4:27 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

I am starting to sound inept.

14. law1127
    4:33 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

I say fire all the coaches and hire all these Idiots on this board,and look at all the money UK could save!Probably have 100,000 in attendance at the next spring game,to watch these Einstein idiots coach circles around Stoops and company!

15. Lloyd Christmas
    4:39 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

I have the same haircut as Brown. He looks like one sharp fella.

16. SEC
    5:18 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

Can’t we all just agree that UK sucks. Period. End of story. This way we can all go about our lives until basketball season.

• Pistol Pete
      6:00 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

What we can agree on is that every post you make is worthless. Equal to you as as a human being. A great thing about sports is eternal optimism. This is why there are still tens of thousands of people that go to Chicago Cub games. We are fans through thick and thin.

17. yargamel
    8:12 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

So, do reporters have to draw straws to decide who asks this question every interview?

I mean, I guess you kind of have to ask, but it’s a little like asking a weatherman what the weather’s going to do in three months.

18. CatsCatsCats
    12:04 pm May 9, 2014 Permalink

Towles ran a 4.62 40. He’s actually quite a bit faster than Barker.