Spurrier’s “resignation” ended with Kentucky comment

Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 12.11.26 PM

Steve Spurrier called a noon press conference at South Carolina today to announce his resignation from the Gamecocks football program. Do not call it his retirement.

“First of all I’m resigning, not retiring,” he told a packed house full of college football reporters. “Let’s get that straight.”

Though he’s likely done head coaching at the collegiate level, Spurrier hasn’t ruled out “some sort of coaching” again. He mentioned the possibility of helping out with a high school on down the road.

As for why he called it quits in the middle of the season, Spurrier doesn’t believe in waiting around. When an inevitable change is coming, make that change, not wait a week or two.

“We’ve slid, and it’s my fault, it’s my responsibility, so it’s time to get out of the way.”

Shawn Elliot, the co-offensive coordinator and offensive line coach, will step in to take over Spurrier for the remainder of the season.

“I’m still going to be around town. I’ll just be the Former Head Ball Coach now.”

And in a very fitting end to his career, Steve Spurrier’s last words were about Kentucky:

Love him or hate him, Kentucky football has been on a long ride with Spurrier over the years. It’s only appropriate that ride ends like this.

Article written by Drew Franklin

28 Comments for Spurrier’s “resignation” ended with Kentucky comment

1. RUPPS_rhetoric
    12:41 pm October 13, 2015 Permalink

Gonna miss the HBC. An SEC Coaching icon! I loved to hate the guy.

2. bosshogg24
    12:59 pm October 13, 2015 Permalink

Spurrier made fun of UK for 20 years but back to back losses to UK drove him into retirement so UK had the last laugh!

• kyjohn
      1:39 pm October 13, 2015 Permalink

I totally agree wit you.Losing to UK was not acceptable in his book.

3. Joe Dennison
    1:21 pm October 13, 2015 Permalink

I liked him as a QB, A Heisman winner, and as a coach. I always thought he was a great coach and the only time I didn’t want him to win was when playing UK. Good luck and a happy retirement wish to the OBC. I would love to get him on the golf course since I am actually 2 years older than him.

4. ClutchCargo
    1:36 pm October 13, 2015 Permalink

Spurrier is one of those guys you love to hate, but I do have a ton of respect for him. I kind of wondered how much he had left in the tank after we beat them for the 2nd straight year. We would be thinking of him as a legend if he had played and coached at UK.

5. KT
    1:45 pm October 13, 2015 Permalink

I just don’t understand leaving mid-season. Announce it, fine but stick it out until the end of the season at least.

6. Tom
    1:46 pm October 13, 2015 Permalink

Oh no!
    Another spot open and coming after ‘our version of Stoops’. Maryland, South Carolina, and probably
    Texas. Ole Barnhart will have to reach into his bag of tricks and snatch up another one to grow into a head SEC coach.

• Ha!
      1:48 pm October 13, 2015 Permalink

Where have you been all year, ass hat?

• Give me a break. SC & Maryland are a lateral moves. Texa$, well that’s another story, but we don’t even know if they’ll be looking yet if Charlie can pull off a few more W’s.

• BTW, I’m not saying SC has not had a good program the last few years. They have, and it’s been better than UK until very recently, obviously, but it’s not a historic name program like a Georgia or a Michigan or a Texas. Neither is Maryland. If Stoops is successful enough that other programs come calling and he leaves, it’ll have to be a step up, and SC and Maryland are not that IMO.

The ones that would scare me the most would be ones he has ties to, like FSU or OSU if their coaches moved on to the NFL or something.

7. JaredCarterIsMyHomeboy
    2:17 pm October 13, 2015 Permalink

Can someone transcribe the comment? I can’t listen.

• jhr
      2:25 pm October 13, 2015 Permalink

Please, somebody type it out. I can’t listen either.

• HackRichards
      2:39 pm October 13, 2015 Permalink

yes I agree…..

8. Carolyn
    2:18 pm October 13, 2015 Permalink

I drive to Columbia for that one. The atmosphere was unbelievable. So glad I got to go to a game at SC with Spurrier still coaching. It’s gonna be really different over there without him.

9. Da Trash Man
    2:19 pm October 13, 2015 Permalink

Good riddance to bad rubbish. The Booby Knight of football.
    Poor impulse control in relation to his temper, completely
    arrogant, and offensive in every way; HIS ENTIRE LIFE.

Don’t let the door hitcha, gross old man.

• REALLY
      2:22 pm October 13, 2015 Permalink

You’ve got to be kidding me. Bobby Knight?? Do you even know who Spurrier is?

10. CatFanDu
    2:53 pm October 13, 2015 Permalink

Wow, the OBC really has washed-up. When the only way you can cope with a bad situation of your own making is to deflect negativity onto another program, then you have nothing positive left to offer. Too bad he didn’t retire before it came to that point, he COULD have been legend, now all he will be is ass-hat.

11. matty arbuckle
    2:54 pm October 13, 2015 Permalink

RIP to the Old as Balls Coach

12. Echo1
    3:00 pm October 13, 2015 Permalink

After annihilating UK for years, running up the score, I love the poetic justice that UK contributed to this Jerk’s demise. Adios, you pompous ass. Yeah, you resigned….. Before you were going to be fired. He can call it what he wants.

13. pithuahua
    3:09 pm October 13, 2015 Permalink

Steve Spurrier slapped Kentucky with one of his backhanded compliments following South Carolina’s 54-3 win over the Wildcats last season. (2012)

“Kentucky has a heck of a punter, I know that,” he said. My fav Spurrier comment about UK.

14. Mixxy
    3:10 pm October 13, 2015 Permalink

Spurrier floated the possibility of being a consultant at a D-1 program. Given the relationship that Stoops family has with him, I wonder if he might show up in Lexington or in Oklahoma as another set of eyes at some point, just on an unofficial basis? It’s common for coaches to want someone objective to offer opinions on their teams, after all. It would not shock me.

15. BenHur
    4:11 pm October 13, 2015 Permalink

He’s an interesting character, but it is funny that UK essentially sent him out to pasture.

16. Blister
    4:15 pm October 13, 2015 Permalink

he quit and let the team go it alone for the rest of the season, SHAME on him…

17. Joey
    7:20 pm October 13, 2015 Permalink

He asked himself. Can I coach this team to a 4-6 finish to earn the honor of liberty or bell bowl?
    Answer was f that I’m 70!

• Joey
      7:21 pm October 13, 2015 Permalink

4-2 to make 6-6. Sorry for typo

• Joey
      7:22 pm October 13, 2015 Permalink

Belk! Screw you autocorrect!

18. David Wynn
    8:55 pm October 13, 2015 Permalink

The CATS sure are gonna miss beaten ya OLD ball coach have a nice retirement, I mean resignment of coarse

19. Mike Goodin
    12:47 am October 14, 2015 Permalink

A few years ago Spurrier was asked about how he was gonna prepare for Kentucky and his response was ….”Nothing Special ….Its Just Kentucky”…Yeah its just Kentucky thats kicked your arse for the past few years …BIGBLUE4LIFE