The Kentucky football team is not familiar with preseason hype, but some people are finally paying attention to Benny Snell.
Kentucky’s record-breaking running back has entered the radar for national pundits ahead of the 2018 season. Gracing the covers of college football preview magazines, Snell’s latest accolade comes from the magazine, Sports Illustrated. America’s preeminent sports publication took on the lofty task of ranking the Top 100 players in college football for the 2018 season and Snell made the cut at No. 66.
“Snell’s 1,333 rushing yards in 2017 are the most of any running back returning to the SEC in ’18. The Wildcats should give him every opportunity to beat that figure—and make a run at the program’s career rushing record, which Snell trails by only 1,411 yards after just two seasons in Lexington—as they work in a new quarterback following the departure of senior Stephen Johnson.”
Snell was ranked four spots higher than Kentucky native Damien Harris. Three Clemson defensive linemen are in the Top Ten and the top spot is held by Houston defensive tackle Ed Oliver. A look at Kentucky opponents who are in SI’s Top 100:
100. Rodrigo Blankenship, Georgia, Kicker
85. Albert Okwuegbunam, Missouri, Tight End
77. Jeffrey Simmons, Miss. State, Nose Tackle
73. Jonathan Ledbetter, Georgia, Defensive End
68. Andrew Thomas, Georgia, Offensive Lineman
65. Jake Fromm, Georgia, Quarterback
59. Trey Smith, Tennessee, Offensive Lineman
46. DeAndre Baker, Georgia, Cornerback
41. Nick Fitzgerald, Miss. State, Quarterback
33. Drew Lock, Missouri, Quarterback
18. Deebo Samuel, South Carolina, Wide Receiver