Sporting News ranks Mark Stoops the 33rd best coach in America

The Sporting News’ Bill Bender just released his annual ranking of the coaches in college football, and after a ten-win season, Mark Stoops made a significant jump. Stoops came in at No. 33, up from No. 53 last season and No. 65 in 2017.

Thirty-three is pretty good, but only seventh best in the SEC:

1. Nick Saban, Alabama
3. Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M
4. Kirby Smart, Georgia
8. Dan Mullen, Florida
15. Ed Orgeron, LSU
19. Gus Malzahn, Auburn
33. Mark Stoops, Kentucky
36. Will Muschamp, South Carolina
37. Joe Moorhead, Mississippi State
40. Barry Odom, Missouri
53. Derek Mason, Vanderbilt
54. Jeremy Pruitt, Tennessee
62. Matt Luke, Ole Miss
65. Chad Morris, Arkansas

If you’re curious, Louisville’s Scott Safferfield is No. 49 on the list. You can see the whole thing at the link below.

[Sporting News]

[mobile_ad]

28 Comments for Sporting News ranks Mark Stoops the 33rd best coach in America

1. UKinIN
    3:03 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

At least only one coach that has lost to Stoops is ranked ahead of him.

• Mike Honcho
      3:12 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

Guess we need to put Derek mason, Jeremy Pruitt, and Matt Luke ahead of stoops by that logic

• UKinIN
      4:03 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

Try reading my comment again … slowly … maybe you’ll get it.

• UKinIN
      4:11 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

Clarification: I was only referring to the current SEC coaches.

• Mike Honcho
      2:30 pm June 13, 2019 Permalink

Oh man tough look for my reading comprehension skills lol

2. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    3:06 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

Dabo is clearly # 1 as long as the talent is even close to Saban’s he walks away with a win. If it’s equal it’s a blowout.

3. cats646
    3:15 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

How can they put James Franklin ahead of Stoops? He done showed y’all who the REAL blue and white is!!!!
    GO BIG BLUE!!!!

• J. Did
      6:51 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

Good point. I’d like to also point out how dook, which used to be an almost dark navy blue, like PSU, ‘transitioned’ – during Mike’s watch – to a color scary-similar to KENTUCKY’s.

4. drew_123
    3:21 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

Finally that put Muschamp behind stoops. Still don’t think there are 32 other coaches that could what stoops has done at Kentucky.

5. KYjellyRoll
    3:24 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

Not even close. Stoops has done in the last 3-4 years what very few others could do in 10…

6. Cole28
    3:33 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

What a time to be alive!

7. gasman01
    4:24 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

I like my coach and staff.

• Boman2112
      4:31 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

He’s only getting started! When Stoops retires from football he will leave as his statue goes up! What he has accomplished at UK I thought would take at least 10 years to do!
      I love my coach and his staff!
      Go Big Blue!

• J. Did
      6:51 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

Whatever happened to the Thumbs Up?

• notFromhere
      11:28 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

Def like em and hope they stay. More with less so far, and i cant wait to see what they do with MORE which they’ve been getting steadily better

8. Headhurts
    5:29 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

To do what stoops & co have done at KY he should be top 10 easy.

• notFromhere
      11:26 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

He’s not feeding the press well enough when theyre in town. Which is AWESOME! LET EM starve!!

Bulletin board material is ALWAYS good

9. The Professor
    6:25 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

Muschamp should be 136th. The guy couldn’t even win at Florida!

10. blueblue
    6:26 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

And Neal Brown is at #26, seven spots ahead of Stoops!! Good coach, but what has he done to earn that spot???

11. Luether
    7:44 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

SEC middle of the pack – my sources say that’s about right…

12. stevemotley
    9:03 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

Brohm and Neal Brown plus a couple other coaches ahead of Stoops, there’s now way. This poll is bs

13. notFromhere
    11:22 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

Fk the rags and mags. Havent gotten sht right about the Cats for over 25 years. They’re frkn name droppers and tradition worshippers. If Stoops is 33rd wtf are these other SEC coaches doing less with more going to be ranked.

All they’re good for is lining bird cages and keeping weeds down. Fkrs.dont.know.sht.

14. BlueWildcat_99
    12:33 am June 13, 2019 Permalink

I just don’t see Ed Ogeron as being a top 30 coach. I would take Stoops any day.

15. BLUEVADER
    2:44 am June 13, 2019 Permalink

Arguably you could move him to 5 cause who else is turning around the Kentucky program like he has!? He is becoming a great coach right in front of our eyes. He can make this his home like Coach Beamer if VTech. I can see us in contention for the CFBP maybe every 4-5 years under Stoops. You cannot deny his recruiting and development of players. Plus he is taking in a Coach Cal mentality of. Okay what kind of players do I have this year. Are we a running team, a defensive tram,a offensive tram etc.. He plays the style his players let him play he does not have a system and I think that is a great way to go. I think this coming year we will be more of an offensive team since our secondary will be young. I think we will have to average around 30 points a game. I think we are in for a fun run ,! Hell it has been fun with some of the biggest wins in the history of the program the last couple years.l can’t wait!

16. Righteous1
    6:43 am June 13, 2019 Permalink

Stoops needs 25 wins to be the all time wins leader at UK in Football. Currently, 60 wins by Bear Bryant is the leader. Let that sink in. That is how bad UK has been in Football prior to Stoops.

• jaws2
      4:15 pm June 13, 2019 Permalink

Boy, I couldn’t agree more. It’s depressing to think about this actually. I really hope Stoops can keep this thing moving forward another 6-10 years. I’m concerned that if he stays near 9 wins a year we’ll never keep him from the big dogs of college football. I hope I’m wrong.