SOURCES: Vince Marrow is in talks with Youngstown State for head coaching job

Could Vince Marrow leave Lexington this offseason? He’s at least considering it.

This morning on Kentucky Sports Radio, Matt Jones broke the news that Marrow is in “conversations” with Youngstown State regarding the program’s head coaching job.

“[He] has had conversations with Youngstown State and is now in the process of deciding what to do,” Jones said this morning. “I cant speak to [whether or not an official offer has been extended], but from what I’m hearing, Vince is taking it seriously. This isn’t a theoretical thing, this is something he’s taking seriously.”

On a recruiting trip at Chaney High School in Youngstown yesterday, WKBN-27 asked Marrow if he’s interested in becoming the next head coach of his hometown football team.

“Names are thrown out. I’m from here, grew up here. My interest — until I talk to somebody, my interest is just, I’m watching as a fan. But I’m a big fan of (Youngstown State president) Coach Tressel and (athletic director) Ron Strollo — played against him in high school. I’m pretty sure they’re going to get a good guy.

“A lot of people from home have been calling me and saying ‘we want you to come back home.’ I’m just up here recruiting, just looking at kids and all of that. If my interest was there to be the head coach there — we have to see.”

At the time, he said he had not spoken with Youngstown State about the job opening, but did admit that he hopes to become a head coach eventually.

“I know whenever I take a head job, I’ll do a good job,” Marrow said. “Right now we’re building a good thing down at Kentucky, but in the short future — you just never know when’s the right time to do it. But I know I will be a head coach sometime.”

Will that “sometime” be now? We’ll find out in the near future.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

29 Comments for SOURCES: Vince Marrow is in talks with Youngstown State for head coaching job

1. Newtype
    10:21 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

Looks like Roush gets to serve some crow.

2. Bluebloodtoo
    10:27 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

I’m happy for Marrow.
    Yes, we would miss him badly, but not nearly as badly as we would have 3 or 4 years ago when we needed to convince recruits that UK was a respectable place to go. I don’t want him to go at all, but I’m not feeling panic like I did a few years ago when he entertained another offer.

• BCO
      10:44 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

Good point bluebloodtoo. And its not a school he could really compete against us with. Hopefully we can keep him but Im glad that hes getting the opportunity.

3. IrishCat
    10:49 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

He should hear them out, and make what he deems to be the best decision for him. That’s likely a return to UK, but if it’s not, thank you and best wishes. He’s done more than enough for this University if he decides to leave.

• ClutchCargo
      11:47 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

Agree. If it turns out that he is offered the job, it might be now or never at this point in his career. It would suck for us if he leaves, but I would understand and wish him the best if he does.

4. bigbluebg
    11:06 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

Vince deserves the credit, but sometimes these head jobs in hometowns are too good to be true. If he isn’t successful, not saying he won’t be, then he won’t feel positively of his homeplace anymore. Sometimes keeping the nostalgic homeplace and the job separate works best in sports.

• Wade
      12:32 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

Maybe he wants it and wants to succeed not that they need him. it’s a life long dream To be a coach and coach you’re hometown. Great connection stories and I’m sure he can have some time to build something respectable. But it’s no sec and battling fl ga tn and occasionally a bama or lsu. But that’s his decision in my mind he is just as important as stoops here and has been a reason for our success and stoops success. It’s just a title he wears at uk and he’s way above that title. Youngstown is not that far away. Hope he stays but I think he goes and we have a big void to fill especially stoops bc they do it together.

5. RackEmWillie
    11:18 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

I’m happy for him if he gets that opportunity, but I definitely would rather him stay here. I’m not sure UK would be able to find an equal replacement, especially at this point in the off season.

• bigbluebg
      11:48 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

We would not replace him with a single hire. It would be a 2-3 year blow. If Vince is kept, I believe we will win the SEC in the next 5 years. Without him…maybe with Joey Gatewood we break thru but we’d be more likely to just do what Missouri did last year with Kelly Bryant. We need Vince to keep it rolling. PAY THE MAN! ConVince him with $!

6. Conman
    4:29 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

So the Penguins HC left to become a coordinator in the SEC. Not fired- voluntarily. And now we think a coordinator from the the SEC will leave his position to take their HC gig. To make less money. Vince will leave at some point for a legit job. But not an FCS job for a pay cut. Think it through.

7. zoupman
    5:14 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

No gone.

8. JASUN74
    5:42 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

Come on Vince! We need you here at Kentucky. Fellas no team in America can replace Vince Marrow because there isn’t any more like him. Lol. I sure hope he does whatever makes him happy, but selfishly, I want him to stay. He’s as important as anyone in this program. Go Cats

9. hal9944
    7:18 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

They cant afford him first off, and imho he’s only taking it serious out of respect for his hometown school.

• MattTheCat
      7:40 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

I agree. He has a buyout which wouldn’t be significant for a FBS school or a big pay raise, but a 300K buyout when you’re making 400K or even 500K is pretty significant.

10. satcheluk
    9:13 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

Bo Pellini’s salary was so low because he was making $130k a month from Nebraska. That recently ended, so who knows what they can afford to pay Vince. I am sure it is higher than the $450k he makes here, but probably not close to $1mm.

11. notFromhere
    11:11 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

He’s a great recruiter and coach, so why wouldn’t they want him, and why wouldn’t he want to be a head coach? I can’t be upset at him for leaving, if he does, but if YS was a good job, Tressel or some other coach would be sitting in that chair.

I root for them and always have. They’re one of those schools like appy state and grambling that I always cheered for as secondary favorites to UK. I just don’t see it as worth the jump for him. If UK does as well as I think they will the next 2 years, he could be looking at head coaching at a power 5 school. Jmo

Hate to see him go. He’s helped make UK Football the season that never ends

12. Righteous1
    11:13 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

I never thought that I would see the day that UK could compete with the traditional power schools and have success in recruiting. This man is a big part of UK climbing up the recruiting rankings. Pay the Man his worth to keep him at UK and let’s go win the SEC period, end of story!

13. friendsofcoal
    12:18 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

It’s hard to turn down a head job in any town as far as I’m concerned.

14. DavidP19
    6:23 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

UToledo HC is highest paid in MAC @ $1M ( YSU has to be less) SEC proven DCs/OCs get $2M or more. UKs get about $1m. Vince @ $450ish is an insult. His value to UK program should put him at or very near Coordinator pay.

• dcforuk
      7:34 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Give him some more greenbacks!

My concern (for UK but happy for Vince) is that he has now gone in record that he does WANT to be a head coach. Wants can change sometimes, though!

• StillBP
      10:41 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

His salary is actaully 625,000 next year, 450 is his old contract

• StillBP
      10:42 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

*actually, oops

15. stevemotley
    7:27 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Nooooo Vince, don’t go!!

16. Cletis75
    8:06 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

“I know when I take a head job, I’ll go a good job.” Hey Vince, I put in my best effort then too. Try not to concentrate on it so hard, it helps me to last longer. Good luck, buddy!

17. bcp426
    9:15 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

The YSU fan forums are seeing Vince as a long shot hire. Conman, Hal, and Matt above pretty well have it summed up. I think the only reason it’s gone this far is he wants to get his name in consideration for HC jobs. Buzz is good marketing. But I don’t think YSU will be the place to pull him away. Maybe one day a non-power 5 school can get him, but they’ll need more than $500k salary.

• Vyce0789
      10:43 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Spot on. Exactly. Vince knows what he’s doing. This is good PR for him and his future. I get that it’s his hometown and all, but he can do much better than YSU.

18. MattTheCat
    10:03 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Vince gets more than 450. He got 600K last year & is set to receive 625 & 650 respectively over the next 2. Add in the 300K buyout and YSt won’t come close. I can understand taking a cut to follow your dream, but not THAT big of a cut…especially when he loves UK & Lexington. He’ll probably get another raise (I hope he does) but I don’t think he would leave either way. I’ll get worried when a MAC school comes calling, but by that time we may even be able to weather that storm and outbid them significantly too…especially with a new SEC TV deal on the horizon.