Some Optimistic Defense Notes Going Forward

Mark Zerof / USA Today

Mark Zerof / USA Today

Mark Zerof / USA Today

Kentucky had a season-high four sacks

Putting pressure on the quarterback had been an issue for the Kentucky defense in the first three games. Coming into Saturday’s game, Kentucky had recorded only four sacks in three games. The four sacks against South Carolina were the most against an SEC opponent since Nov. 1, 2008.

The defense limited South Carolina to only 16 first downs

The last time the defense allowed 16 or less first downs was against Vanderbilt last season. Kentucky’s third-down defense was the best we’ve seen all season. The Gamecocks went 3-of-13 in third-down conversions, a season low for South Carolina.

Jordan Jones is third in the NCAA in solo tackles

The sophomore linebacker is everywhere. Jones recorded eight tackles in the win over South Carolina, and leads the team with 43. Jones has the third most tackles in all of FBS college football with 30, nine behind the leader from Kent State. Jones is ninth in total tackles with 43, 30 solo and 13 assisted.

South Carolina had seven drives that went for less than 20 yards

The secondary played its best game of the season limiting South Carolina to only two pass play of 20+ yards. Derrick Baity tied a season-high with five tackles, two pass breakups and one quarterback hurry. The run defense which has struggled all year did not allow a rushing play longer than 12 yards.

South Carolina had its lowest scoring game of the season

South Carolina’s 10 points was the lowest for a Kentucky opponent since 2014 when Kentucky defeated Vanderbilt 17-7.

Article written by Kindsey Bernhard

Lover of dogs, sports and beer. @kindseybernhard

10 Comments for Some Optimistic Defense Notes Going Forward

1. runningunnin.454
    11:41 am September 25, 2016 Permalink

I read two consecutive post with “We want ‘Bama” and “Bring on ‘Bama”. Supporting the team is one thing, but ……….pump the brakes, there.

2. runningunnin.454
    11:44 am September 25, 2016 Permalink

Some ATM card scam, and “this page is trying to load script from unauthenticated sources”?
    ????????

3. Nerds
    12:17 pm September 25, 2016 Permalink

So we hold one of the worst offenses in all of college football to 10 point (five points below their season average) and we’re suddenly the ’85 Bears? I understand a win is a win is a win, but these turds that “write” are just doing what they do best….peddling hyperbole. “Bring on Bama”. Haha. I can just see the lead in a week from today: “Well, that was ugly…”

• Billy Hill
      3:14 pm September 25, 2016 Permalink

“University of Kentucky Basketball, Football, and Recruiting news brought to you in the most ridiculous manner possible.”

Its 2016, this website has been around for a decade, and there are people that STILL don’t get it…

• Nerds
      3:20 pm September 25, 2016 Permalink

Oh, Billy…I should have known a peasant such as yourself would chime in…KSR police you are these days. I’m aware of the “theme” of this website. That doesn’t mean cockeyed rubbish should simply be ignored. As you were, serf.

• Billy Hill
      4:26 pm September 25, 2016 Permalink

And yet you still posted?

You wouldn’t say that to my face, either. Nerd.

• Nerds
      4:45 pm September 25, 2016 Permalink

I absolutely would, Billy. Maybe I’ll say it when I swing by Chipotle later for dinner. And before you ask, I know the guacamole is extra.

• Billy Hill
      9:40 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

College kids and fat people eat Chipotle. Which are you?

• The REAL Billy Hill
      10:38 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

And again, I guarantee you wouldn’t. Unless you’d like to arrange somewhere to meet and prove me wrong?

4. CatManDo
    12:32 pm September 25, 2016 Permalink

Very happy for the team. That was probably the worst QB we will face all year but I will take it.