Some in the BBN are ready to breakup with UK Football

We need to talk, UK football….

Longtime University of Kentucky football fans say they are changing their relationship status with the football program.

Instead of “It’s complicated” many fans are saying “It’s over” to the program after suffering through the sixth straight losing season of the Wildcats, according to a story in the Lexington Herald-Leader.

Fans say they are frustrated with the football program that is coming off back-to-back 5-7 seasons and while recruiting top notch talent, has yet to produce the solid results fans were hoping for.

This is definitely not a “it’s not you, it’s me” scenario – fans told Mark Story the reason for leaving is certainly UK’s fault.

Fans say they are tired of the abuse of getting their hopes up only to watch signs of promise dwindle. After all, the Cats had a 4-1 start only to finish the season 1-6. Couple that with tensions in locker rooms, confusion on the field and the departure of Patrick Towles and you have yourself one complicated mess of emotions tied with UK football.

It’s not just the Cat’s season collapse that has the veteran fans down, the $120 million renovation that reduced Commonwealth’s seating capacity by 6,000 seats and the shuffling of parking passes and the “priority ranking” instituted on season tickets have also contributed to some hard feelings.

“(UK) has taken all the fun out of it for me,” Wade Cunningham told the Herald-Leader. “All that’s left is the bad football- that hasn’t changed- and that’s not enough.”

Many fans say the good aspects of the games- sitting next to longtime friends, tailgating in familiar lots and the nostalgia of taking your kids and grandkids to the same seats you watched Kentucky play with your dad- are now gone thanks to the redistribution.

The renovation, which brought Commonwealth out of the dark ages and into the high-tech and flashy new millennia, was designed to attract better recruits and create a better atmosphere for fans.

However, according to some fans, the atmosphere was already there thanks to good friends and a lifetime of memories. Promises of a better tomorrow just aren’t going to cut it anymore.

For some in the Big Blue Nation, it’s just time to say goodbye James Blunt style.

Are you willling to give UK Football another chance or are you ready for the #BigBlueBreakup?

Article written by Ricki Barker

Writer of things. Watcher of sports. Wearer of blue. Sometimes all at once.

44 Comments for Some in the BBN are ready to breakup with UK Football

1. Long Dong Silver
    2:05 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

I’m ready to give it a rest. It’s now basketball season. Time to move on. Stoops isn’t doing anything to talk about. No firings.

2. kygolfkat51
    2:24 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

“while recruiting top notch talent” give me a break! We have always been in the lower one forth of the SEC UK has been better than in the past but not better in the SEC: 14th,13th, 13th, 9th,

• kybigblue
      3:36 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

After Joker’s poor recruiting many fans got overexcited when UK was 20th in the nation one year in recruting but if I remember correctly that placed UK 12th in the SEC in recruiting that year. A coach would really have to be a top developer of players and a great game coach to have any chance of moving into the top tier of the SEC East.

3. MegatonRange
    2:28 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

Another day, another anti-UK football article on KSR, what’s new.

• Angelo
      2:56 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

?????????

4. DennyC
    2:36 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

Southern Miss will win the season opener in CWS. This will be even uglier next year.

5. keiths
    2:56 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

I gave up my season ticks during the joker era.and so i glad i did. and the joker teams were actually better coached then the stoops poops teams are. at least joker knew to put 11 men on the field for a punt

6. SoCalCat
    3:04 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

Glad Chicken Little fell off the bandwagon. Please stay off :-).

• keiths
      3:13 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

and you keep wasting your money, idiot

• ukjaybrat
      4:15 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

If he gets enjoyment out of game day, win or lose, who is to say he is wasting his money? Besides some loser troll of course…

• keiths
      8:14 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

and you are as dumb as he is

7. RogerHardin
    3:05 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

When Ohio U came into Commonwealth and beat us years ago I quit going until UK beat bothTennessee and Florida, I’m still waiting.

8. 3 fan
    3:13 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

I’ll watch from the house. Not giving them any more money. Wait until Southern Miss wins. Open revolt from fans

9. The Rest of the story
    3:29 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

The outlook for next year is dismal at best. A team this badly coached and prepared is just unacceptable to the fans. Yes only his third year but for two years in a row the team got worse from week one to week twelve. Players who are just too slow too weak and too unskilled to come close to competing in the SEC. A coaching staff that wants to play a way this team is incapable of instead of a way that may be of more benefit to the overall success. Cats didn’t just lose five of their last six but were not even competitive in them. Stoops owes the UK faithful an apology for the terrible coaching and the unpreparedness of the players. The coaching and only the coaching of this team gave this team no chance of success and hence goes the fan support we see now in groves.

10. DennyC
    3:31 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

But wait . . . KSR will tell us they will go 6-6 or 7-5 next year . . . I have NO DOUBT. . . .

#KSRonUKpayroll

• sylvar
      9:21 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

That is exactly right. People are falling harder than usual because every year this site is all “We could win the East!” Please.

11. DennyC
    3:36 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

Will there be ANY COACHING CHANGES on the UK staff????? If not, look for the WORSE SEASON TICKET SALES in UK HISTORY. Barney???? What are YOU going to do about this situation??? This is UNACCEPTABLE! YOU have led BBN down this path.

12. blueballs80
    3:39 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

Sadly Mitch has kept Stoops on the bankroll if we fire him. 15 mil to let the man go. If things go bad, lets just hope he resigns so we don’t have to pay him anymore. Will the media even bother asking Stoops questions about practice? Anything the staff says will be extremely scrutinized. If we keep the same staff, besides Ansley, we are screwed. Courtney Miggins was a red shirt wasted for a few snaps here and there. Stoops knows he blew it this season and it was made for us to get to a bowl game. Jumping up and down beating Charlotte proves nothing. Thank God i can watch it from home, least I have the option to turn the tv off.

13. buzzard
    3:40 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

I’ve had great season tickets for over 10 yrs. Last year I had to move, which sucked. I then had to sit through another dismal display of bad coaching and embarrassing football. Needless to say, I will not be in CWS next year.

14. onsides
    3:42 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

“The renovation which brought commonwealth stadium out of the dark ages.” Maybe the press box. Except for the the removal of the ring of honor, ribbon boards And new scoreboards it’s pretty much the same. Oh and they removed the stairs to the upper level which makes getting in and out take longer. The recruiting room is a nice touch but it’s surrounded by a largely empty student section because they gave up on the team.

• FunkyMonkey
      10:31 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

I think the same thing, good post. I was generally disappointed in the upgrade. We don’t urinate in troughs like barn animals anymore but they still didn’t make the restrooms big enough, the wait was most times shorter at old CWS. I just didn’t see the $120 million myself, kinda feel they got ripped.

15. BBN in H-Town
    3:42 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

Please. Anyone “breaking up” with Kentucky football isn’t an actual UK fan. If someone wants to stop traveling to Commonwealth for the games, so be it. However, to say “screw it” altogether and be unsupportive is bush league. You think things are bad now? See how many quality football recruits sign when they catch wind of that collective attitude.

16. kybigblue
    3:45 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

The schedule will be tougher next year but Stoops is learning on the job. For the second straight time we hired an assistant coach to be UK’s head coach. There is a big difference between the duties of a head coach and an assistant coach. Maybe Stoops experience over the last three years will pay off but he still has to beat someone who is favored by a TD or more to convince me he is capable of being a big time coach.

• kycats13
      8:24 am December 7, 2015 Permalink

Stoops should be the manager of the program. It looks like he is trying to coach both sides of the ball instead of managing the coordinators. This is not working. I suppose he doesn’t trust his coordinators and with reason.

17. @sethlieber
    3:47 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

The parts of the article about the changes in seating are very valid. I grew up going to UK games and have seen the same people in the same seats for years. That’s all gone. The losses were somewhat more bearable when you had a good time with the people you knew.

18. DennyC
    3:49 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

Hey BBN in H-Town . . . Do you really want to mislead recruits and tell them “we’re improving”, “we’ll make you better”, “Believe” and the best one of all, “Son, you’re a YAHTZEEE!!!!! If I hear that word ONCE more, I’ll pUKe! I would say join Conference USA but Heck, WKU is there and they’d embarrass UK worse than they did TWICE before! (they had/have REAL coaches, no fair!!!)

Maybe the SUNBELT has an opening.. . . Mitch, GET ON THE PHONE!!!!!

19. ukjaybrat
    4:17 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

Louisville fans pretending to be angry UK fans are very sorry individuals.

20. PapaPonder
    4:24 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

Do so few remember Joker? He left this program in an absolute mess. You want to talk about a talent gap. Where did the players that left after Stoops came in wind up at? I heard NFL scouts talking about different players from the Joker time and they said more than onve, “not fundamentally sound.”
    Mark Stoops has recruited better than any coach I can remember at UK. But those he has recruited are at best juniors. This isn’t the bush league. You don’t come in with young developing talent and just compete with the SEC.
    If the guy couldn’t coach defense, then how is it that so many of his Fl. ST. players were drafted? Give the guy a chance to have a cycle of his players run through the program.
    Everyone’s offense begins and ends with the offensive line. Can you say that our line was SEC ready? No way. They must develop mentally and physically to compete in the SEC.
    Our QB leaving. What does that mean? He had his shot and couldn’t deliver. If I were him I would transfer somewhere I have a good chance to start for my senior season. The NFL draft is coming.
    I want to win as bad as the next guy but to tare down everything and start over at this point would be madness. Give him 2 more years and I think we will be singing his praises.
    Just something to ponder on.

• Bill the Cat
      6:38 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

Agree! HUGE difference between a talented frosh (which we have) and a talented Senior(which Joker left few of). Let’s allow Stoops recruits to become seniors or 5th year seniors, then we can judge the progress.

• chimichanga
      10:24 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

Thank you. Great post.

• KTower
      7:16 am December 7, 2015 Permalink

Great Post

Kentucky lacks depth, that is why they wore down as the season went on.

Joker was a joke and we are paying the price now. Thank goodness they didn’t give him another season and cut their losses.

• Blue Raider
      9:19 am December 7, 2015 Permalink

Very well written. People no longer have any patience. They want everything right now. If we stay the course with this coach I believe we will be happy with the results in the end.

21. ScoggDog
    4:56 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

Talk all you want … in Year Four – Mark Stoops is going to lose the home opener to Southern Miss.

Explain that away as you will.

• Jaxson
      5:34 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

Not only that, but because of Mitch’s brilliant scheduling, the coach that replaces Stoops has to open the 2017 season AT Southern Mississippi.

22. LeitchfieldAlex
    5:35 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

Yes Coach Stoops got us all EXCITED for NOTHINg but I’m hopeful. Not VERY hopeful but I’m hanging in there with my eyes WIDE OPEN now. The play on the field is getting WORSE as the season goes on and NOT better. To me that’s Coaching or LACK of !!!! NOT going to believe we will improve until it happens. Can’t beat Vandy really SUCKed. NO EXCUSES here. So I’ll enjoy our Bball and go on DREAMing. After all this fball here is a dream a BAD dream. Go Blue !

23. kjd
    6:41 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

I’m leaning towards giving up my tickets. Me and my son bought tickets when Stoops was hired. All in!
    My expectations were jacked up due to the hype put forth here on KSR. Then the lights came on in the new CWS and we saw the same old thing. Same mistakes, same erratic play, poor coaching decisions, etc. Have to call out the receivers in particular. Basically same three guys dropping balls. Never saw any backups get a shot in a game. ???
    So, do I continue to drive from Louisville, spend my money, and tie up 6-7 Saturdays for bad football?
    I’ll wait until ticket renewal shows up in 2016 to make final decision. Still to disgusted to make a rational decision.

24. timer2
    8:40 pm December 6, 2015 Permalink

I’d love to see an honest poll asking fans whether they think the football program has improved since Barnhart was hired. He was supposed to be a “football guy.”

IMHO he has failed miserably in all three of his hires.

25. Wah Wah
    12:44 am December 7, 2015 Permalink

It’s Kentucky Football. Why would anyone be jumping off the bandwagon. This team did better than the average Kentucky Football team. Stoops, if you really want him to improve the program, will need a decade. Kentucky plays in the SEC. A mediocre SEC team is better than the average team nationwide. Kentucky isn’t even mediocre. If you want to turn that around, you need fundamental changes to the program. A ground up rebuild.

The best era of Kentucky Football since the 50s was the Rich Brooks era. That’s about all that anyone needs to say about Kentucky Football.

Get rid of Stoops now and all you get is another four years of some other guy floundering. Why not try sticking to one guy for an extended period?

Oh…because you think Kentucky is SEC Football. Stoops is recruiting relatively well. He’s not scandalizing anyone. This is his first stint as a Head Coach. He’s doing pretty well for Kentucky Football. There is no Calipari fix for Kentucky Football. That ain’t gonna happen.

I don’t think Nick Saban could fix what ails the Kentucky Football program.

26. jr1122
    7:41 am December 7, 2015 Permalink

Mark Stoops and Joker have the same SEC record after 3 years, at 4-20. Let that sink in. Consider me broken up from Kentucky football. We will always play second fiddle to SEC teams and get players recruited from Conference USA.

• Keith Biggins
      9:47 am December 7, 2015 Permalink

Is that supposed to point out how bad Joker was? The teams before Joker were coming off 3 or 4 straight bowl games. The team Stoops took over got shut out 40-0 at home against Vandy. If anything that shows were in a better situation than before.

27. Hooplehead
    9:36 am December 7, 2015 Permalink

This article is ridiculous. What REAL fan would ever give up on their team?

I will support this University in all sports until the day I die.

28. Unremarkable Post
    9:57 am December 7, 2015 Permalink

I’ll get my season tickets again next year, I hope to move back closer to my old seats. If all you guys cancel you ticket purchase, I just get better seats and hopefully can get away from belligerent screaming man next to my new seats. I also think there are some UL fans posting here. Why do you come to this site? I would never read a UL site, much less post something there.

29. Kfckernel
    11:09 am December 7, 2015 Permalink

I think we need to change our name in football to the Washington Generals. We are on the highlights every week making every other team (including Vanderbilt), looks like superstars. The Generals always got to play the big game with the Harlem Globetrotters but were made to look stupid by their lack of ability. If we don’t want to do the hard work of making real changes going forward the simplest change is to get new uniforms with the Washington Generals logo and making the rest of the SEC look like superstars.