So you can drink if you’re rich, can’t if you’re not? Got it.

All of you peasants with regular jobs and regular UK football tickets, you can’t have alcohol at Kentucky football games. Sorry, but there are families in the stands and we can’t have you messing up the whole game day experience with your party tricks. You should’ve donated more to the K Fund.

But you in the blue sweater with Ferragomos on at a college football game, can I get you another Tito’s and soda?

This is what I heard when Mitch Barnhart explained UK’s reasoning for providing alcohol in premium areas of Kroger Field, but not throughout the entire stadium, which the Southeastern Conference now allows. Barnhart said there are “different experiences in different areas of the stadium” (ya think?) and right now UK has the fan experience it feels it needs.

The decision to not sell alcohol publicly isn’t a surprise, and UK isn’t the only school in the league to hold off on tapping the kegs. It is an understandable decision as well, given the awful alcohol-related tragedy that occurred outside a UK football game last fall.

You don’t want to sell it, fine. I get it. I disagree but whatever. The football will still be played and Kentucky will still beat Louisville and all will be happy. But the regular fans (who still pay a lot of money to support the program, I’ll add) need a better explanation as to why they can’t enjoy a beer on a Saturday afternoon in Kroger Field when people seated just a couple aisles over can suck down a bourbon after every score.

I am afraid Mitch will soon find he upset a lot of UK’s loyal fans over the alcohol policy. He could’ve eased the blow with a better explanation, because this ain’t it:

“I think there are experiences that you have in different areas of your stadium, and I understand that is a concern. We have a fan experience in the public areas of our stands that I sort of think are where we want to be right now. There is an availability in the premium areas that is different, and we recognize that, but the overarching 55,000 people in the stands, we feel like we have an experience that we think at this point in time a college experience should feel like. It gives families still an opportunity to enjoy Kentucky athletics.”

It isn’t a money issue. We don’t want to get into the money issue. Is there money to be made? I have no idea. That wasn’t the decision point for us. The decision point was what we want it to feel like, what we want it to look like. At this point in time, we want it to feel like — well, we feel like it’s a pretty solid place and a pretty neat experience at the University of Kentucky, so we’ll leave it at that.”

Just say it: You can drink if you’re a wealthy donor and you can’t if you’re not.

Article written by Drew Franklin

72 Comments for So you can drink if you’re rich, can’t if you’re not? Got it.

1. Go_Wildcats_Go
    4:10 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Well, I had to Google Ferragomos so I guess I’m not getting a beer during the game.

• Ridge Runner
      4:23 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Ferragomussss… the dude that played The Hulk, right?

• Ridge Runner
      4:25 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Dang it.. that was Lou ferrigno. My bad.

• J-Dub421
      4:27 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

It’s a fancy shoe brand.

• 4everUKblue
      5:07 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

How did Drew know that? Google must be his best friend.

2. BluemanGreen
    4:13 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Is there money to be made? I dont know.
    Maybe we need a new AD if he doesnt know the answer to that question. There are literally MILLIONS waiting to be made.
    What a stinking crock of shit.

• gobble gobble
      6:05 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Is there money to be made??!! Is that a serious question? Of course there’s LOTS of money to be made… it’s alcohol. Only Trump could not make money on such a guaranteed money maker…

• justgettingstartedbro
      9:06 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

You’re a dicktard with that comment

• gobble gobble
      9:15 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Awwwwwee wittle Trump snowflake gonna cwy

• ukwildcat1991

And I sit there
    Get stoned
    Mellow
    Stoned, feelin’ good
    Real mellow
    Dreamin’
    After a while, I looked down the bar
    At the bartender
    I said, “Hey, what do you want?”
    One bourbon, one scotch, and one beer

• Ridge Runner
      4:21 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

-sorry, it made me think of that song..
      🙁

• 4everUKblue
      5:15 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Well show me the way to the next whiskey bar,
      oh don’t ask why
      oh don’t ask why…

• 4everUKblue
      5:46 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

I think I’ll just sit here and drink…

5. Kernel Sanders
    4:23 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

I don’t get the “different fan experience in different parts of the stadium” BS. I’ve sat all over the place at Kroger field, with no alcohol sales, and everywhere I’ve encountered drunk, profane, rude fans no matter what section. Selling booze in the stadium has nothing to do with it, as evidenced by fan experiences in the last 50 years. People will still drink, still drink to excess, still be profane and obnoxious. This will not change regardless of what they had decided, so it’s disingenuous for Mitch to act like he’s “protecting” the family experience.

• Ridge Runner
      4:29 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Good point but I guess by not authorizing sales.. it’s not promoting it. Hell I dunno.

6. kentuckybackupplayer
    4:32 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

sources say the board or regents said “when are you peasants going to finally realize that the rich always win in the end. now go mow my lawn.”

• IrishCat
      6:37 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

When indeed..

• bpisforuk
      7:44 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Well said. Either make it available to everyone or to no one. The hypocrisy of this decision is infuriating as the common fan is treated differently than the elite.

7. Swizzle
    4:41 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Stop whining ya drunks.

• ZeProtector
      10:44 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

You’re missing the point. It’s not about drunks or even drinking. It’s about being treated the same as others. Some monetary advantages related to price points are understandable (location of seating, chair backs, lounge access, parking, etc) but having the ability to drink isn’t one of those. Swizzle on that.

8. Chacosrule
    4:47 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

I’m not as good as the VIP folks, so I’m gonna watch with friends at home instead.

• Matt10
      4:55 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

That’s what I’m sayin! If they try to ban alcohol sales at Casa de Matt, then we’ll have a problem. Until then, whooptie do.

9. breakinankles
    4:52 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Guess I will just stick to slamming beers before the game starts and oh wait sneaking alcohol in. Once again Kentucky is the last to get EVERYTHING even the school!

10. Trueblue44
    4:55 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Bullshit. I had season tickets for years and stopped going because of the clowns that can’t hold their alcohol. Falling all over the place and acting like idiots, yeah let’s sell it so it’s even EASIER for them. And don’t give me the “college kids do college kid things” BS either. I went to UK, pledged and had a blast and we didn’t feel the need to piss all over people’s gameday experiences to do so. Wanna drink? Do it in the parking lot. Then maybe I can take my 10 year old nephew to experience a UK football game without being fallen over and thrown up on by some jackass drunk that can’t handle alcohol.

• abobicesaevior
      5:15 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Easy solution. Have a few alcohol free sections and let the adults in the other section make their own decisions.

• Trueblue44
      7:50 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

They are ALL alcohol free sections now and we see how that goes.

• A_Blue_Wildcat
      6:01 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

“Alcohol free sections” you do realize they can literally just chugg the drink then go to their seat right?

• Bluebrook
      6:31 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Actually selling alcohol at the games should cut down on the number of fall-over drunk fans. Most wont feel the need to get completely piss drunk while tailgating, knowing that they will be able to purchase a few beverages once inside.

• StuckinLville
      7:54 am August 2, 2019 Permalink

You do realize everyone getting hammered outside is the problem right? They come in smashed cuz they know they can’t drink inside.

• IndianaSucks
      10:17 am August 2, 2019 Permalink

Maybe you and your 10 year old nephew should stay home where it’s safe and he’s not subjected to such crime… In 8 years he’ll be one of those drunks fyi

• Trueblue44
      8:56 pm August 2, 2019 Permalink

So you’re that guy…..the one walking around with a foot in his ass from running his mouth too much

11. hitman72
    5:28 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Flask sales in Kentucky just went up.

12. 13th. Grade
    5:49 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Trying to regulate morality has never been successful. Being able to afford a suite does not mean you make better decisions. Your bank account shouldn’t decide your game-day experience. Either everyone should be able to drink, or no one. It’s as simple as that.

13. Looother
    5:52 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Money talks, BS walks, and Drew’s got holes in his soles…

14. StuckinLville
    6:09 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Does he ever sit in the stands to know? Cuz last game I was at a dude came up so hammered and was such a nuisance. If people didn’t feel they needed to get smashed first maybe this wouldn’t happen. I don’t agree with him at all on his. U telling me the rich folk suites don’t have kids in them?

15. 8XChamps
    6:21 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Why is this such a big deal! It looks like Barnhart seems to care about the fans and the fan experience, especially after what happened last year. If he did allow alcohol sales, and something like last year happened again, would we blame Barnhart for permitting alcohol sales?

16. CrystalBall
    6:22 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Do some people have to drink so bad they can’t wait until after the game?

• 4everUKblue
      6:32 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Quick easy answer….YES!

• 4everUKblue
      6:33 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

A lot of people feel they can’t have a good time without alcohol. I’m not one of them but I was in my youth.

• dcarlinf1
      8:15 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Shouldn’t that be their choice and not up to you? I dislike the obnoxious drunks too. But a responsible adult oughta be able to have a couple beers while they cheer on their team. I will be doing that at home again this season. None of my money will be spent on tickets.

• 8XChamps
      8:24 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Maybe some responsible people do want a few drinks, but why should those responsible people who do drink and who do not drink have to deal with the obnoxious drunk that ruins the game?

• njcat54
      8:52 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

They shouldn’t. Drunks should be kicked out.

We don’t need Mitch to be our nanny. Just enforce the rules on the books and treat ALL adults like adults, not just the Farragamo / Ferrari crowd.

Mitch needs to go somewhere where people are happy that the church runs everything, like Salt Lake City.

• dcarlinf1
      10:06 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Just escort out the bad apples. Problem solved. That and stop alcohol sales at some point. Maybe after 3rd quarter has begun or is almost over?

17. unbiasedfan
    6:36 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Great decision made by Mitch Barnhart especially with what happened last year with no alcohol sales. If you want to drink that bad tailgate and then sober up during game. There would no doubt be little to no policing of how much someone consumed during the game. The next step would be a nightmare for some family because of drunken driver from UK game causes crash. There is no reason Drew to try and make it out to be a decision on rich or poor when you yourself is from a wealthy background. If your going to let the decision of alcohol sales determine your attendance to the game, stay at home and drink all you want to. Some normal people still like bringing their kids and grandkids to UK game and it be a memorable event. Nothing against drinking, I drank myself for 24 years before quitting. One bad Apple spoils the whole basket though.

• njcat54
      12:33 am August 2, 2019 Permalink

You can’t base a policy on an isolated incident. It was a terrible accident, but it’s the only time it’s ever happened.

People drink at games. Deal with it.

• StuckinLville
      7:53 am August 2, 2019 Permalink

You realize that kid was underage and was drinking with his frat brothers right? That has nothing to do with sales inside. Besides, that’s punishing everyone for someone else’s stupidity.

18. stepscalled
    6:38 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

I would like to sit in an air conditioned suite too. But since I don’t want to pay for the price of a suite, I will sit in the bleachers and enjoy the game. I will still tailgate and enjoy the tailgating. To me it’s just not that big of a deal.

• njcat54
      12:36 am August 2, 2019 Permalink

Besides missing out on the revenue the university could most definitely use, it will get people in their seats sooner. It will attract more to actually come to the games instead of sitting in their RV’s or on their living room couch. Overall a much better environment for the fans AND the players.

19. BluKudzu
    6:43 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Anybody remember the Beer Barrel? UK has a history of misfortune related to football and alcohol.

That being said, it is unjust to allow alcohol to be served anywhere if it can’t be served everywhere.

The decision sucks.

I have been going to sporting events for years, longer than I care to mention. I have yet to be at a sporting event, at any level, (save a few youth sports games….not all..) where you do not run into some obnoxious asshole that is hell bent on partying and having a good time.

When they become too much of a problem, get security. That is why they are there. You can do it by text or cell.

Or move to better seats.

20. Redman1423
    7:12 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

I’m sorry but what’s the point in selling alchohol in the stadium if people are just going to get drunk before anyways. As well as the fact that a kid died last year. Not to mention drunk idiots ruin the game for people there who are there to actually watch and enjoy the game. I’m not against drinking but I think the reaction some people are having is ridiculous it’s not that big a deal. Who knows maybe after a year Barnhart will change his mind in order to make more money. But calling him a bad AD is ridiculous after what he has done for all our sports programs

21. bigrich98
    7:14 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Missing out on revenue. Charging $7 a beer in the stadium creates an opportunity for profit, and it also “prices out” drinking in excess. How many beers are you really going to drink if they cost $7 a piece?

22. Bourbon-n-Coke
    7:31 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Like it or not, there are a lot of games where there are a bunch of empty seats. If you have the opportunity to enhance the game day experience, which for many is the option to have a beer, you’ll likely sell more seats along with the alcohol sales that go with it. Seems like a win-win for profit. Guess old Mitch never took a math or economics course…

23. BLUEsky
    8:00 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

A good compromise would be to sell it, but shut sales down when the halftime break is over. I’m 52. Not currently a season ticket holder due to driving distance and work schedule. I am not a heavy drinker by anyone’s standards. I like to enjoy a beer or two once every month or two. Frankly, I would like to enjoy a beer or two at the game, but would not have anything after halftime–being a responsible person. JMHO.

• Ridge Runner
      9:49 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Great idea.

24. dckr
    8:19 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Guess that bulge in my pants entering Kroger field won’t be leaving anytime soon.

• satcheluk
      11:29 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

I usually try to get rid of mine before I leave the house.

25. UKCatAttack
    8:20 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

We have the best AD in the country, and his job is to put winning teams on the field and court. I for one appreciate what he’s done and I’ll support no alcohol sales and checkerboard jerseys. I disagree with alcohol sales in the suites but I can kind of understand it… it’s in a private area and the consumption can be more easily regulated. If you want to go get hammered at a sporting event go to the Lexington Legends. If you want to watch a world class team take the field or court go to A UK game.

• Cmstew502
      8:59 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Crikey! That’s a level of bootlicking rarely seen in the wild. What a beauty

26. catsby90.1
    8:27 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

F U Mitch

27. Booher
    8:31 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

That’s fine I just won’t spend money on a ticket and keep my ass at home and watch my big screen and drink my beer hope them boosters can make up the difference

• cats646
      8:54 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Lol, them boosters can make up the difference.

28. AppreciateTheCall
    8:58 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Dear Mitch,

Go suck an egg.

29. brassnux66
    11:17 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Season ticket holder. Plenty enough drunks in the stands. I’m fine with Mitch.

30. cokiejay
    1:40 am August 2, 2019 Permalink

There are plenty of obnoxious fans who aren’t drunk. If you’re an asshole, you’ll be one whether you have a beer or not. Plus, I don’t know many people who get drunk on a couple of beers. Hopefully, Barnhart will come to see how our program fails financially in comparison to schools that take advantage of alcohol revenue.

31. IndianaSucks
    10:20 am August 2, 2019 Permalink

People are gonna drink no matter what the rule is… It’s just a matter of UK making any money off of it or not… Clearly Barnhart doesn’t like money.

32. UKfansNKY
    10:54 am August 2, 2019 Permalink

Who really gives a shit! Don’t know about you, but FOOTBALL is all about tailgating,Cheering/ watching a football game and your TEAM winning! If you are there to drink, then do that shit at home.

Have you been to a Bengals game lately?? drunks, fights all over the place!

GO CATS!!!!!

33. NextMattJonesNoCap
    12:30 pm August 2, 2019 Permalink

I thought people come to games to watch football, not get drunk…