Shannon Dawson says he has “no hard feelings,” will root for UK

After parting ways with UK due to philosophical differences with Mark Stoops, former offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson tells the Herald-Leader’s Jen Smith he has “no hard feelings” about the situation:

“Wish I could have done a better job,” he said via text message. “No hard feelings. I support Mark and will root for them to be great next year. I appreciated the opportunity.”

By the way, there’s still no official word from UK about Dawson’s exit. Jen has a good breakdown of what may happen to Dawson’s contract over at the Herald-Leader, so go check it out.

7 Comments for Shannon Dawson says he has “no hard feelings,” will root for UK

1. sportspot
    5:10 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

DEFENSE!!! Yeah, Stoops, a new offensive coordinator can make those defensive halftime adjustments. Duh….

• theSkinny81
      5:46 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Please stop typing.

• Kat 308
      7:08 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

hes right skinny why the o line coach is still t I have no clue

• kyguy2892
      8:27 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Just Posted this just now on an earlier article but though I would share my thoughts here as well

LP: So not a professional sports writer just one mans opinion. Stoops is learning on the fly how to be a head Coach which is the case with any head coach transitioning from coordinator to being the head guy. His learning curve is obviously going a lot slower than any of us anticipated, and hoped for, and I’m not giving up hope as he has done things on the recurring trail, and is bringing talent to UK that shows promise. Now here is where I think the problem lies is that he, similar to Rex Ryan in the NFL, (not comparing the two as coaches what so ever just situations) is that he is a defensive minded coach that has little experience with offensive game planning and strategies, and wants, from comments made that I have heard and read to much control of the offensive play calling. (Feel like every UK coordinator has been handed down the same playbook for the past 3 years) I understand his thinking in not wanting to open up the playbook due to his young inexperienced team, but it’s hurting the growth of these young players not being able to improve. Such as conservative play calling on 2&3 down, given though in certain situations that is a smart play call, but still. Tired of seeing draws and bubble screens, and not timing routes, pick plays, curls, and plays down the field to actually attempt to move the ball and trust the players you recruited to come here to make plays. So what if these young guys don’t make the play, you work on it and get better but you can’t expect these guys to grow as players if you don’t let them get out there and make mistakes, which I think really hurt us at the end of the Vandy, Florida, and Auburn games with the conservative play calling in certain situations and trying to run plays that minimize there chance at mistakes. (which isn’t good for anyone) I would rather see the playbook open up next year and let them play and make mistakes and learn from it, and see improvement during the season rather than see the decline we took this year, and last, in terms as improving, and growing as a team. I know that doesn’t always translate to the record aspect but it would at least help set the program up for the future when these guys get experience. It’s UK football so I know it’s not going to happen overnight, and it’s going to be a long road full of ups and downs. Either way I’m still backing Coach Stoops, and think givin the time he can be a great coach. Just have to keep reminding myself that he’s a first time head coach learning to run a program in if not the best, one of the best College football conferences in the nation at a historicaly mediocre program in said conference. Anyway thanks for reading this post (if anyone actually does see it) and go big blue

2. pithuahua
    5:11 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

1.3 mill buyout…Dawson be like…smiley emoji to end of page.

3. dean winchester
    5:23 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

I hope Hoak and Jones dont jump ship….

4. binarysolo
    5:48 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Looks like Dawson’s up next for the Cal sleepover.