Shannon Dawson reportedly taking offensive coordinator job at Southern Miss

Well, the 2016 season opener just got much more interesting. According to Dan Wolken, Shannon Dawson is expected to take the offensive coordinator position at Southern Miss. The same Southern Miss that will open the season against the Cats at Commonwealth Stadium on September 3.

Suddenly, I feel a lot better about that game.

17 Comments for Shannon Dawson reportedly taking offensive coordinator job at Southern Miss

1. Jiminy Crickets
    8:52 am February 11, 2016 Permalink

Serious question, if southern miss beats us on opening day, does that automatically put stoops on the hot seat? Southern miss was a really really good team last year and already had a chance to beat us, but this will look terrible on stoops

• CatsfaninFL
      9:05 am February 11, 2016 Permalink

Not unless you’re paying that buyout…

• Jiminy Crickets
      10:22 am February 11, 2016 Permalink

I was much more talking about from the Fanbase. I know Barney is not going to pull any type of trigger, But I wonder what the fan support would be if we lose but more importantly we lose to the guy that we fired. I honestly thought the Southern Miss game was a make or break point for stoops anyway, but now may be the most important game on the schedule

• chimichanga
      12:03 pm February 11, 2016 Permalink

I think most fans are familiar enough with Southern Miss to know it wouldnt necessarily be a terrible loss (by UK standards at least). In a way I think losing at home to South Carolina would be a more stinging loss, considering their rebuilding situation.

• ukkatzfan
      12:07 pm February 11, 2016 Permalink

Between the players who have been subtracted, the ones who have been added and the real coaches we now have, I don’t think we need to be concerned about loosing that game. #ALLIN

Wouldn’t it have been nice to have had Shannon Dawson on the other side of the field last year? It would have been a pretty good bowl game.

2. loservilletard
    10:00 am February 11, 2016 Permalink

surely KY will be smart enough to know how to defend against a Shannon Dawson Awfulfence. All they have to do is watch the tapes of what all opponents did last year against KY…

• Mathlete
      11:42 am February 11, 2016 Permalink

Defend the run up the middle, then watch as their OC acts shocked it didn’t work out?

3. ClutchCargo
    10:25 am February 11, 2016 Permalink

In all situations where they are 3rd and long, we should definitely know what to do.

4. inside info2
    10:43 am February 11, 2016 Permalink

Does this mean that Towles will transfer to Southern Miss to be around one of the “greatest offensive minds” he’s ever been around?

I hope we don’t lose this game. I don’t see how we could with Dawson being as terrible as he is. But if we do, I can’t wait to see the fan reaction and watch the look on Barnhart’s face as the clock ticks down to 0:00. If/when Stoops gets fired, Barnhart should be either right behind him or in front of him.

• Mathlete
      11:43 am February 11, 2016 Permalink

Why are you actively rooting for UK to lose?

5. blueballs80
    11:30 am February 11, 2016 Permalink

Surprised Towles hasn’t followed him here. We will beat them. No way Gran and Hinshaw are going to let it happen any other way except a victory. Dawson’s offense will not cut it in the SEC. I hope our Daily buries their offense.

6. Sentient Third Eye
    12:34 pm February 11, 2016 Permalink

Dawson is not a bad coach. He just wan’t the right coach for here.

7. inside info2
    1:22 pm February 11, 2016 Permalink

Mathlete, apparently you aren’t an English-lete. My very first statement was “I hope we don’t lose this game.” My second statement was, “I don’t see how we could…”.

If English is not your first language then my apologies.

• UK Big Board Update
      5:01 pm February 11, 2016 Permalink

All you do is hate……

8. Glenn Fohr
    1:47 pm February 11, 2016 Permalink

Dawson isn’t a bad coach. He just didn’t fit here. I’m glad he doesn’t have Towles with him. I think Towles is the type of qb who is dual threat and with the right coach could burn you. As Miss St. 2014.

9. Bill the Cat