Shannon Dawson claims he is a good coach when he has a good QB

s-dawson

Believe it or not, there is more to Shannon Dawson than fade routes from the goal line that lead to interceptions, runs up the middle on third-and-long, and saying a play would’ve been a good play if it had worked.

As we learned here in this video from Southern Miss earlier this month, Dawson is a good coach when he has a good quarterback, he says.

“Typically, if I have a good quarterback, I’m a pretty good coach. And typically, if I don’t, I’m not a very good coach.”

So you’re saying you didn’t have a good quarterback last year?

More from Dawson ahead of the season opener against Southern Miss, his not-so-highly-anticipated return to Commonwealth Stadium:

Article written by Drew Franklin

46 Comments for Shannon Dawson claims he is a good coach when he has a good QB

1. ukjaybrat
    11:06 am August 17, 2016 Permalink

wait wait wait wait …. weren’t there rumors that part of the reason Towles left is because he didn’t like that they gave Dawson the shaft?

and now Dawson is basically throwing Towles under the bus saying he’s the reason Dawson looked bad last year?

what a prick!

• DACats86
      11:31 am August 17, 2016 Permalink

Exactly. Towles was Dawson’s biggest defender last year. Classless.

2. Sentient Third Eye
    11:07 am August 17, 2016 Permalink

I imagine that an elite QB can make just about any idiot appear to be an offensive genius.

• ukjaybrat
      11:09 am August 17, 2016 Permalink

yeah, meanwhile nick saban is down south winning NCs with mediocre quarterbacks

• Kernel Sanders
      11:28 am August 17, 2016 Permalink

Well, Nick Saban does go 3 deep with 5 star players at every position, so of course he can win with mediocre QB’s. Give that Bama roster to Gran or Dawson or Neal Brown or even Randy Sanders/Joker Phillips and yeah, they’re gonna win.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:36 am August 17, 2016 Permalink

“Well, Nick Saban does go 3 deep with 5 star players at every position”…. except QB. lol

• DACats86
      12:02 pm August 17, 2016 Permalink

Bama’s QBs:
      – 2016 Jalen Hurts 5.8 4-star
      – 2015: Blake Barnett 6.0 4-star
      – 2014: David Cornwell 5.9 4-star

No exactly chopped liver…

• Kernel Sanders
      12:03 pm August 17, 2016 Permalink

Yes, at QB Bama has three 4 star QB’s to choose from (not counting the freshman 4 star QB). The Barnett kid is a redshirt FR that, like our Drew Barker, has been in the program 3 years. Point being, if you have 5 star players all over the field on offense and defense, you just need a game manager. Which is mostly what Saban’s QB’s at BAMA have been.

• DACats86
      12:18 pm August 17, 2016 Permalink

Hurts (true freshman) is projected Alabama starter, which means Tua T. and Jones will likely have to sit the bench for three years before they get a sniff at starting… Oh, well…

3. halobrad
    11:10 am August 17, 2016 Permalink

Good players make good coaches. That’s an old saying. Nothing to see here.

4. RealCatsFan
    11:19 am August 17, 2016 Permalink

Hey, it’s football stuff – you peons wouldn’t understand!

5. Sarahvah
    11:20 am August 17, 2016 Permalink

Being fair, he didn’t have a good QB last year. Towles was awful.

• Sentient Third Eye
      12:02 pm August 17, 2016 Permalink

Towles is super-talented, but he displayed very poor decision-making last year, resulting in a horrible TD-INT ratio. If he can fix that at BC and start throwing it to uniforms the color of his own more often, he has all the other skills to be a great QB.

• scorpiocard
      3:27 pm August 17, 2016 Permalink

The fact that Towels ended up at a crap program like BC instead of on a decent team pretty much says all that needs to be said about him. No good program wanted him.

• Billy Hill
      11:53 pm August 17, 2016 Permalink

Man, maybe you should’ve beaten them by more than 3 then? It’d be hilarious if **Towles** gave your “powerhouse” tards an L. 😉

• Bro Ken Leggage
      5:44 am August 18, 2016 Permalink

Billy Hill is a pedophile circus worker.

• Billy Hill
      8:22 am August 18, 2016 Permalink

You sound like someones else on here….

6. footblue
    11:21 am August 17, 2016 Permalink

I understand what he is trying to say. I was always a really good coach when i had a really good PG.

7. secrick
    11:27 am August 17, 2016 Permalink

My business runs pretty good when i have good customers.

8. symphonist41169
    11:29 am August 17, 2016 Permalink

Seems to me a coach would be considered “good” if he gets it done with an average or mediocre quarterback…

9. RealCatsFan
    11:40 am August 17, 2016 Permalink

But a great coach can get the most out of a player with more average capabilities, and when he has a great player, he puts that player in the best position to win.

10. DACats86
    11:57 am August 17, 2016 Permalink

What a turd.

11. CatFanDu
    11:59 am August 17, 2016 Permalink

Dawson may be a “good” Offensive Coach if he had an Outstanding QB, and five star receivers, backs and line. smh – Character and integrity matter, PT +1 / SD -1.

12. DelrayCat
    12:09 pm August 17, 2016 Permalink

It is virtually impossible to have a good team when you change coordinators and totally scrap the offense every single year.

• DACats86
      12:16 pm August 17, 2016 Permalink

Should have kidnapped Brown and kept him from becoming HC at Troy?
      Should have kept Dawson?

• DelrayCat
      12:30 pm August 17, 2016 Permalink

I am not saying that. It is hard to make people stay when they don’t want to or have better offers. Again, I am just stating that I think it is difficult when you change offenses so often. I think defensive oriented coaches have a disadvantage and problems with program continuity, especially in college.

• DelrayCat
      12:32 pm August 17, 2016 Permalink

Defensive head coaches I mean. Plus a young coach like Stoops will be more likely to not have a particular offensive identity even if not calling plays. A guy like Petrino can hit the ground running and keep continuity better in the short term. And I am not one of those guys who thinks UK should have gotten him…I just think it comes quicker and easier to a head coach who calls plays and knows what he wants right away in scheme.

• bigbluecru
      12:33 pm August 17, 2016 Permalink

Agree

• Mathlete
      1:01 pm August 17, 2016 Permalink

That’s why I love that Gran has been around for a while, he can help Stoops develop an offensive philosophy in ways that Brown and Dawson couldn’t. In some respects I could see Gran being as much a mentor to Stoops and the younger offensive coaches in developing their skills as he is to the players

13. bigbluecru
    12:32 pm August 17, 2016 Permalink

A coaches job, perhaps his first responsibility, is to make a player better. Hopefully, make an average player good and a great player great. It is the coaches responsibility to motivate, teach and coach a player to be his very best.

No class and not much of a man to blame a kid (young man) who showed far more class than Coach Dawson.

14. Bluebloodtoo
    12:58 pm August 17, 2016 Permalink

I guess this all depends on your definition of a “good coach”. If a good coach is expected to be good only when he has good players, then maybe Dawson is a good coach. I think most highly paid, successful coaches would laugh at that comment.

• Bluebloodtoo
      1:04 pm August 17, 2016 Permalink

If we take this a step further and go with Webster’s definition of a Coach: a person who teaches and trains an athlete or performer.

After looking at that, his comment actually seems completely wrong. His job as a “Coach” is to teach or train that QB to be great. If he says he’s a bad coach when he has a bad QB, then he’s a bad Coach all the time.

15. 3dcatfan
    1:23 pm August 17, 2016 Permalink

After seeing the video, this should be a non story. I’ve heard lots of other coaches say similar things before. This is petty IMO

16. ReverendBlue
    1:26 pm August 17, 2016 Permalink

I’m wealthy when I have a lot of money. I’m fit when I’m in really good shape. I’m a successful person when I win. Nothing to see here… Move along kids.

17. fauxbobknight
    1:58 pm August 17, 2016 Permalink

Wasn’t KSR drooling over Dawson this time last year? And Neal Brown in the two years prior to that?

18. Rsn2GoBlu
    2:28 pm August 17, 2016 Permalink

Two words -> Player Development.

19. Trinity45
    3:02 pm August 17, 2016 Permalink

You know I was a pretty good basketball coach when I had the talent too. Amazing how that helps.

20. kjd
    3:47 pm August 17, 2016 Permalink

Well, we’ll see on 9/3 what kinda of coach he can be. Everybody agrees he has a really good QB. Dawson has no excuses. Can’t hardly wait to see this one. Cats by 20.

21. Cuck fards
    3:59 pm August 17, 2016 Permalink

Dawson wold be a good OC if his qb would check out of a draw on 3rd and 14

22. twdisciple
    12:32 am August 18, 2016 Permalink

Towles: “I’m typically a good quarterback when I have a good Offensive Coordinator.”

23. blueboots
    8:00 am August 18, 2016 Permalink

A JOKE!

24. blueballs80
    10:32 am August 18, 2016 Permalink

Isn’t he is a QB coach as well? Quit yapping Dawson. You just threw Towles under the bus. Glad both of them are gone. One can’t coach and the other couldn’t throw.

25. Puns
    1:48 pm August 18, 2016 Permalink

This guy has always reminded me of Billy Gillespie. Guy is a joke.