Seven Hours Til Kickoff, Time to Tailgate

IMG_1310
You can always count on the Poole's to be there bright and early.

You can always count on the Poole’s to be there bright and early.

They're point spreads will be difficult; I heard Cats by 50, 100 and 1,000.

They’re point spreads will be difficult; I heard Cats by 50, 100 and 1,000.

IMG_1299

IMG_1313 IMG_1315

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

30 Comments for Seven Hours Til Kickoff, Time to Tailgate

1. Love
    12:45 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

We’ve got the talent, it’s going to be all about who does a better coaching job (and also the zebra lineup) 🙂

2. DREWBLUE
    12:49 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

Coach Poole, who’s going to coach the defense at practice today?

3. UK fan
    1:06 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

I am working my butt off. Just jealous that so many people can take a day off to tailgate. Hope I can.

4. Upset Student
    1:11 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

How about we talk about how the university shafted every student, hospital worker and faculty today? Each of those parties had to park at off campus locations, students either parked at the Legend’s stadium or Lexmark. The university has put athletics above education today. Professors are either outright canceling classes or seeing reduced attendance because of this spectacle. What I really want to know is if my tuition or the athletic department is paying for the charter buses required to transport people from off campus locations to campus? The lack of preparedness showed by the university today is shameful and embarrassing.

• Realme
      1:13 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

It’s one day. Suck it up.

• CPACAT
      1:23 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

1) It’s the self-sustaining athletics department that pays for all things like that, as well as for all athletics related expenses, scholarships, and facilities…not your tuition.
      2) Get used to it, have you ever been in a city when a sitting president comes to town. All roads are shut down, etc. Happens in N.KY all the time when a president comes to Cincinnati.
      3) Life is full of small, first-world inconveniences; this is a good lesson to for you as you “grow up”…
      3) It’s one day, suck it up.

• Upset Student
      1:25 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

I also pay $5,800 in tuition and paid $130 for the right to park there.

• Upset Student
      1:27 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

And none of your comments make up for the fact that today, an educational institution prioritized athletics over educating its students.

• Easy Wind
      1:41 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

You are a complete idiot. A little extra walking won’t hurt you. College is about having a good time. Don’t ruin it by being such a tight ass.

• Upset Student
      1:46 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

See the above article for a tenured university professor’s take on this. And by saying “a little extra walking” you obviously show you have zero idea about where things are in Lexington.

• CatsBy80
      1:53 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

you need to relax. you’re the type of student that other people hate, because you complain about everything. would you like for the university to prorate your $130 parking pass for the 2 days of inconvenience? just calm down. it’ll all be better in the morning, sweetheart.

• RTF
      2:02 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

Upset Student is the worst. Get a life man c’mon.

• theWilkman
      2:04 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

Hey crybaby, the athletic department (self-sustaining like CPACAT pointed out) donates over $3 million a year to the university for NON-ATHLETIC scholarships. Without that money, your $5800 tuition would be much higher. Methinks you might not be an economics major…

• Upset Student
      2:08 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

The operating budget for 2015-16 is $3.4 billion. The athletic department’s donation of $3 million is a drop in the bucket. And btw, I’m working on my second degree from UK, mathematical economics, and my first degree was civil engineering.

• Upset Student
      2:12 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

And btw, I like to sip on warm milk before bedtime every night.

• Lighten Up Francis
      2:30 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

Upset Student look at those families and tailgates and realize there is more to the university than that piece of paper you’re working for. This is the first time UK has ever had a Thursday night game so obviously its not going to run as smoothly as everybody would like. Your reaction says more about you than the university. Also for the record, I do understand the importance of the academics side. I graduated with an economics degree in 2011. Go Cats

• theWilkman
      3:08 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

If you really are working on a degree in economics, you should have a pretty good grasp on the concept of supply and demand. Like it or not, top tier athletic programs increase demand for admittance, thereby increasing the value of the degree you have and the one you’re working on.

• Upset Student
      3:13 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

@theWilkman – that’s why a degree from Alabama or the U is more prestigious than a degree from Harvard or Princeton right? Congratulations for the worst comment in this thread.

• ClutchCargo
      3:24 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

Upset Student – you keep raising your own bar for worst comment on this thread every time you post. It makes no sense to compare a $3 million (actually closer to 4 or 5 million) donation to the ENTIRE OPERATION BUDGET of a university when the budget is based on a whole lot more than just revenue from tuition. And since bad things could happen if we play a game, maybe we should just go ahead and cancel the rest of the home games this season? I’m sorry you always got picked last for every team and therefore hate all sports, but maybe you should spend less time on a sports-related blog.

• Upset Student
      3:33 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

$450 million from tuition and over $200 million from state appropriations. So $3-5 million out of $650 million is 0.5-1%. That money disappearing wouldn’t affect tuition by that much. Especially since it is scholarship money. If that money disappeared and that number of students paid tuition then the price of tuition would either stay flat or actually decrease. Thanks for trying though.

• ClutchCargo
      3:46 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

Why are you so fixated on total operating budget, tuition and state appropriations when a better number for comparison is the amount of institutionally funded scholarships. I mean, other than just trying to prove a terrible point by cherry picking the numbers you think support your argument. I’m done, have a nice day bitching about something you will never be able to change.

• Upset Student
      4:10 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

Personally, I think it’s great that the athletic dept gives money back to the general fund since there wouldn’t be an athletic dept without the school in the first place. I bring up the other numbers to show that a missing $3-5 million from the budget wouldn’t affect tuition nearly as much as the person above stated.

• theWilkman
      5:03 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

Upset Student – did I say it was the only driving factor? Much like economics, there are many factors that lead to a university’s prestige. I’m heavily involved with the alumni club and can tell you for a fact that demand for UK increased once Calipari got here, especially after the 2012 Championship. During interviews and the application process, basketball was listed as one of the reasons prospective students wanted to attend. For someone claiming to be working on an advanced degree, you sure are dense.

5. AJH
    1:26 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

Haha. Well said CPACAT.

6. Upset Student
    3:02 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

I should really go study or something instead of wasting so much time whining about having to ride a shuttle once. How dare UK expect me to accommodate a part of the university I am not interested in. It’s only about me after all. Booo hoooo waaaahhhh waaaahhhhh.

7. Upset Student
    3:11 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

Lighten Up, the university exists to educate students. We are the customers/consumers/whatever other term you want to use. This purpose supersedes all others, including athletics and even the happiness of those families who let their kids skip school to go to a football game.

As an Econ student, I’m sure you learned about value-at-risk. What is the value at risk of this game? If we lose by a lot, our stock with recruits likely drops, the university alienates students, and the commute home is disrupted for numerous people. And what did we gain? A stipend from the SEC. Note that our administration and athletic department agreed to this before this even looked like a likely win.

Well I guess I just explained to myself how this could be so fubar.

• J-Dub421
      3:16 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

ESPN sets a fair portion of the schedule and we get 30 million dollars per year from our SEC TV deal. A lot of people have to move their cars for game days. I did so for the two years I lived on campus, every Saturday home game during football season. This has been going on since long before you went to school at UK and will go on long after you’ve left.

• Upset Student
      3:38 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

There’s a huge difference between moving your cars on a Saturday to lots open on the weekend, not normally closed during the week. I did the same when I lived on campus.

• Upset Student
      4:18 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

Hey guys hold on while I pull my pacifier out of the dish washer. Had to wash it after I dropped it moving my car. How dare the University not keep the K-lot sanitary for pacifiers!? Have they any common sense and decency.

• theWilkman
      5:07 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

Our stock with recruits won’t go down if we lose a game we were pegged to have no chance at only 6 weeks ago. The only downside to today is that a minority of students, one so small it’s statistically irrelevant, will get butt-hurt that they had to move their car.