SEC Sack Leader Calvin Taylor Jr. Says Kentucky “Will Win” 2019 Governor’s Cup

Calvin Taylor Jr. recorded 1.5 sacks Saturday against UT Martin to move into a three-way tie for first place in the SEC in sacks (7.5). To mark the milestone, the senior defensive lineman guaranteed a victory over Louisville.

When asked what it would mean to leave Kroger Field for the final time with a win over UofL, he matter of factly stated, “We will win.”

Taylor was also asked if anyone will be wearing red around the team facility this week. Of course, he would not acknowledge what color the Cardinals wear or say the word ‘Louisville.’ The senior is not pulling any punches before he gets his last shot at UofL.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

35 Comments for SEC Sack Leader Calvin Taylor Jr. Says Kentucky “Will Win” 2019 Governor’s Cup

1. 4everUKBlue
    6:59 pm November 26, 2019 Permalink

Man I really hope he can back that up on the field, I’d love to beat them again.

• Ridge Runner
      6:26 am November 27, 2019 Permalink

Yes sir 4ever.

2. dcforuk
    6:59 pm November 26, 2019 Permalink

I like the confidence and his play this year backs up the confidence. Public statements like that can go a couple of different ways. I hope the end result is that it inspires unity and confidence among his teammates moreso than extra incentive/motivation for that other team.

• Corder
      7:21 pm November 26, 2019 Permalink

I think I’m a rivalry game there is already enough incentive/motivation that no matter what both sides will bring it. I wish our players would not so much talk more but have this mentality instead of saying the same ole same “their a good team, they got good guys on that team, were just going to go out there and do our best.” Screw that if somebody asks you a question be honest tell them how you feel. If the teams mind set is to go out there and put it to them, I don’t think that could ever be a bad thing.

• runningunnin.454
      7:50 pm November 26, 2019 Permalink

I prefer…speak softly and carry a big stick.

• 4everUKBlue
      7:57 pm November 26, 2019 Permalink

Buford Pusser or Teddy?

• dcforuk
      9:48 pm November 26, 2019 Permalink

Confidence is a good thing. Confidence based on a firm foundation is the best confidence there is. The risk is the point where confidence ends and cockiness begins and a failure to, as Charles Woodson said before his final game, realize that it’s bigger than you. I think Calvin realizes that it’s bigger than him:

• runningunnin.454
      9:42 am November 27, 2019 Permalink

Oh, Teddy of course.

3. J. Did
    7:16 pm November 26, 2019 Permalink

GO CATS!

BELIEVE !

4. Skooms
    7:33 pm November 26, 2019 Permalink

He seems like a really good guy. I really dig the confidence level too, because you can tell it’s truly confidence and not cockiness. It’s the cockiness that seems to backfire the most. Hey Lousyville had a few 2 game or more mini streaks against us. Why can’t we have one of our own? No different than Mizzou or USCe in my opinion. Stoops detractors can say whatever they want, but facts are facts, he’s close to being our all time winningest coach! We’re knocking on the door of a 10 win season, followed by an 8 win season. With how little we’re losing this year as of now, I’d bet that we see another 10 win or more season next year.

• dcforuk
      9:41 pm November 26, 2019 Permalink

Yes and yes. The naysayers want perfection and often fail to (1) acknowledge progress and (2) give the benefit of the doubt to someone who is not perfect but has done an excellent job recruiting, coaching, representing and generating interest and funding for the football program. He did not come to UK to fail. It would have set his career back 10 years. He came, from day one, to change the naysayer mindset related to UK football. He continues to do that. He handled adversity this year that has made him, his staff and this team even stronger. He has applied that Pat Williams quote: “Whenever you set out to accomplish anything, expect people to try to belittle you, discourage you, and minimize your accomplishments. Don’t let them stop you. Just ignore them, and keep moving forward. That’s what leaders do.” — Pat Williams

5. ky1988
    12:45 am November 27, 2019 Permalink

What is he supposed to say we are going to get our ass kicked.

6. Bluehender
    5:12 am November 27, 2019 Permalink

Number one Duke goes down at home!! To Stephen F Austin? Say it ain’t so…well, K needs to go!!! Get rid of the Count…

• Bluehender
      5:20 am November 27, 2019 Permalink

Blue Devils missed 16 free throws. Stephen F’ing Austin scored 64 points in the lane and won in OT!!

• Ridge Runner
      6:25 am November 27, 2019 Permalink

Okay I now feel a lot better… not completely mind you… yes, better. Lol
      27.5 favorite loss at home puts pUKe at the top.

• 4everUKBlue
      7:49 am November 27, 2019 Permalink

But but but K is the greatest coach of all time….that only happens to Cal because he can’t coach. So you’re telling me these kinds of upsets don’t only happen to Cal coached teams?

7. Bluehender
    6:44 am November 27, 2019 Permalink

I’m with you RR. I’m across the river from Evansville and in the word’s of Marty Stuart, this one’s gonna hurt me for a long long time. But Duke’s loss at home to SFA eases the pain..

8. CJKAssassin123
    7:16 am November 27, 2019 Permalink

I think this was a case we’re he really should of kept mouth shut!

• CJKAssassin123
      7:16 am November 27, 2019 Permalink

Where noy we’re sorry!

• CJKAssassin123
      7:17 am November 27, 2019 Permalink

Where he should of kept mouth shut sorry!

9. 4everUKBlue
    7:52 am November 27, 2019 Permalink

Can someone explain to me how OSU jumps LSU for the number on spot? They had played no one until Penn St and only won that game by 11, now go look at LSU’s schedule.

• Bluehender
      7:55 am November 27, 2019 Permalink

No. No one can 4ever. But Duke lost at home to Stephen F Austin. Eases my pain of the Evansville loss just a little.

• 4everUKBlue
      8:27 am November 27, 2019 Permalink

I saw that last night Bluehender, got a good chuckle out of that.

• 4everUKBlue
      8:33 am November 27, 2019 Permalink

Of course ESPN couldn’t report it without mentioning a Kentucky loss…”The Blue Devils were favored by 27.5 points at the Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook, surpassing Gardner-Webb’s 26-point upset win over Kentucky in 2007 as the largest upset in a Division I men’s basketball game over the past 15 seasons.” Of course Duke was full strength while KY was without Nerlens Noel and that’s still no excuse….but just saying’.

• Bluehender
      8:37 am November 27, 2019 Permalink

Me too 4ever. Said on the local news this morning (Evansville station) that Duke got Evansville’d. I’m surprised they haven’t had a parade in Evansville yet..

• 4everUKBlue
      8:40 am November 27, 2019 Permalink

Of course they have to try to lessen the magnitude of duke’s loss by mentioning a Kentucky loss, but this shouldn’t happen to the greatest college basketball coach of all time….cough bullshit.

• Bluehender
      8:46 am November 27, 2019 Permalink

Of course they did 4ever. It’s a love affair with ESPN-Duke…lol..

• 4everUKBlue
      9:03 am November 27, 2019 Permalink

I’m surprised ESPN didn’t pretend it didn’t happen, I know they’re all in mourning. Don’t forget the love affair also includes Zion.

• Bluehender
      9:35 am November 27, 2019 Permalink

Lol 4ever…

10. Skooms
    10:21 am November 27, 2019 Permalink

4 ever… That was actually before Cal got here. We lost to Gardner Webb while Poopy I mean Billy Gillespie was still the coach. Lol Oh and VMI. Wow, Gillespie was REALLY bad!!

• 4everUKBlue
      12:46 pm November 27, 2019 Permalink

My bad Skooms, my memory isn’t what it used to be. I still have a resentment against Mitch for even hiring BCG.