SEC Football Takeaways of Week 14

Via @BleacherReport

Another week has come and gone in the college football season. The SEC consistently gives the sport amazing games, moments, and players. Here are my five biggest takeaways in the conference from week fourteen.

1. Alabama Lost….You Just Hate To See It

Gather around, folks. Gather around and listen to the absolute best sound in college football so far this season:

That huge “THUD” you just heard was the hopes and dreams of thousands of Alabama fans across the country as the Crimson Tide are officially eliminated from the college football playoff for the first time since its inception.

It just wasn’t Alabama’s season this year. They lost their best defensive player before the season even started, then they lost a Heisman level quarterback in Tua a few weeks ago.

They haven’t beaten a single truly good team this season, and they recorded the most penalties ever under coach Nick Saban during Saturday’s game against Auburn. The magic ran out, and Alabama just wasn’t great this season.

This makes the playoff picture much more clearer (more on that in a second), but more importantly, Saban and company are finally not going to be in the picture at the end of the season.

2. The Legend of Lynn Bowden

Whew boy. Mr. Lynn Bowden ran into the record books on Saturday as the Wildcats embarrassed and blew out a decent Louisville football team. You just love to see it.

Let’s give credit where credit is due: This was an impressive coaching job by Mark Stoops. Kentucky had three quarterbacks injured so they stuck a talented wide receiver at quarterback, and they found a way to go 5-2 in that span. That’s incredible.

But I would personally give more credit to Bowden here, and I think Stoops would say the same as well. The talented receiver just absolutely took the SEC by storm down the stretch of the season.

He turned out to easily be one of the top five best players in the conference this year, and I didn’t think that was possible before the season started.

The Wildcats finished somehow 7-5 and they should be in a pretty nice bowl game against a talented power-five team. This legend isn’t over just yet — Bowden can further cement his legacy with one, final great performance.

3. The Stupidity of Georgia

The Bulldogs dominated Georgia Tech yesterday as expected, but it was the actions of their star wide receiver which took the spotlight.

Pickens was easily the most dependable receiver for Jake Fromm this year, and now he will be out for the whole first half next week against LSU.

To only make matters worse, running D’andre Swift significantly hurt his shoulder and may not play in the SEC Championship game.

It goes without saying, but Georgia has to win in order to make the playoff. With all of these losses, it’s going to be incredibly difficult to pull off the upset over an LSU team that’s on fire right now.

4. Tennessee Is…Close To Being Back

Right behind Mark Stoops in terms of coaching jobs in the SEC this season has to be Jeremy Pruitt of Tennessee. After two brutal losses to start the season, unreasonable Volunteer fans wanted the second-year head coach fired.

Instead, the administration stood behind their head coach, and all he did was lead them to a 7-3 record over the next 10 games. Wowza.

Now, I’m not saying the Volunteers are fully back just yet. They still lost five games this season and were nowhere near close to competing with Georgia or Florida. However, this year was a great step in the right direction in their rebuilding phase as they finished third in the SEC East.

I have no idea what the future holds for this program, but if they win their bowl game over a quality opponent and finish 8-5 then they will have a mountain of momentum heading into 2020.

5. The Playoff Picture

With Alabama losing, the playoff picture becomes a lot more clear. First off, LSU and Ohio State are in no matter what happens in their conference championship games. This is certain, and two spots are gone.

While I would debate that Clemson should also be in no matter what, their weak schedule could say otherwise. But they should of course win the ACC and walk in as the third team.

That leaves just one spot open. Georgia is currently ranked at No. 4 in that spot, but if they lose to LSU they aren’t getting in with two losses (one of those being against a bad South Carolina team).

If the Bulldogs win, they are in. If not, then things get very weird.

Essentially, it would become a debate between the merits of the Big 12 and the Pac-12. Either Oklahoma or Baylor will win the Big 12 with one loss, and if Utah defeats Oregon then they would win the Pac-12 with one loss.

So, who should be the fourth team in that scenario? Well, Utah actually has a decent case as their one loss was to a ranked USC team. In comparison, Oklahoma’s loss was to Kansas State. Baylor is interesting because if they win they would avenge their one loss.

However, Oregon would be Utah’s only good win whereas Oklahoma and Baylor each have a couple of good wins. Believe it or not, I think Baylor would have the best case out of the three teams if they avenge their one loss and win the Big 12. If the Sooners and Utah win, however, I think it comes down to a coin flip.

Personally, I would put Jalen Hurts in the playoff. He and the Sooners would probably have the best chance of winning a game, but that’s admittedly a biased response with little evidence to support it.

Hopefully, Oregon wins the Pac-12, and LSU beats Georgia. That way the winner of the Big 12 walks into the playoff with no controversy. But we all know its never that easy in college football.

Article written by John Reecer

16 Comments for SEC Football Takeaways of Week 14

1. njcat54
    7:43 pm December 1, 2019 Permalink

And if Georgia somehow beats LSU, Utah, Oklahoma, and Baylor are out.

2. 4everUKBlue
    7:52 pm December 1, 2019 Permalink

Clemson has played a high school schedule, absolutely weak sauce, just pathetic and they will be the most rested. I too would love to see Jalen Hurts get in, if you haven’t seen him and Cee Dee Lamb together you’ve missed it.

• RAGE
      9:19 pm December 1, 2019 Permalink

But IMO Clemson would beat Oklahoma in a head to head matchup… Agree Clemson is head and shoulders above anyone else in the ACC but they took care of business.. Oklahoma stumbled and blew a game against a sub par team… They don’t deserve to be in the playoffs regardless… Best four teams and Clemson is Def one of them…. I still think they are the second best team behind OSU at this point

• 4everUKBlue
      10:44 pm December 1, 2019 Permalink

I agree Clemson would beat OU, I just like Jalen Hurts, however I’m not so sure they are second best unless their defense is better than LSU’s, but I think Clemson is second or third best and I hate Clemson so it pains me to say that. My only gripe about their schedule was how much ESPN talked about how weak Bama’s schedule was while Clemson played nobody all season

• 4evrUKBlue
      10:46 pm December 1, 2019 Permalink

Rage I tried to reply but the modbot keeps getting me. Yes Clemson would beat Oklahoma, I just like Hurts. My only gripe about their schedule was how much ESPN talked about how weak Bama’s schedule was while Clemson played nobody all season.

• 4evrUKBlue
      10:47 pm December 1, 2019 Permalink

• 4evrUKBlue
      10:47 pm December 1, 2019 Permalink

Yes Clemson would beat Oklahoma, I just like Jalen Hurts.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:50 pm December 1, 2019 Permalink

My only complaint is about their schedule was how much ESPN talked about how weak Bama’s schedule was while Clemson played nobody.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:50 pm December 1, 2019 Permalink

Everybody talked about how weak Bama’s schedule was while Clemson played nobody.

• 4everUKBlue
      9:01 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

I’m not so sure Clemson is the second best, they may be third behind LSU and OSU. If Utah falls to Oregon then OU may get in. Even OU’s schedule was better than Clemson’s IMO.

3. BowdenQB4ever
    8:15 pm December 1, 2019 Permalink

How do you have Stoops ahead of Pruitt? I know we’re all excited for another January trip to Charlotte or Memphis, but Pruitt beat Stoops head to head and they wound up with identical records. Frankly, Pruitt adjusted at halftime and Stoops was unable to keep up. Vols had more adversity and less to work with coming into 2019. I’m stuck living in Knoxville, so maybe I’m just bitter about watching stoops give away wins to the vols year after year, but I’m astounded by the turnaround they made.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      8:31 pm December 1, 2019 Permalink

Stoops offense was mixing several key pieces, Pruitt basically had everyone back.

• RAGE
      9:26 pm December 1, 2019 Permalink

Wow I agree I have very much enjoyed the 3 game winning streak… But that is a major excuse Truth… We have won 3 games in a roll over very sub par teams… I mean Louisville was the best win on paper but they probably wouldn’t be favored by much if any to beat App State in the sun belt… Tennessee beat us because of our failed half time adjustments… Plus we are extremely one dimensional and we set records cause the teams we played didn’t have the personal to slow us down… When you play like that against an SEC defense even one like Tennessee (which was not very good) you guys have forgotten very quickly how our offense is with no threat of a pass… Again not being a downer just I haven’t forgot…. We won 3 games in the SEC against Vandy and Arkansas was 2 of the wind and they just simply didn’t have a very good team.. I ain’t sure either could win the MAC…

• RAGE
      9:29 pm December 1, 2019 Permalink

When you play a team that truly can’t match up with you like Vandy and Louisville it will make your offense look great.. I love winning as much as the next but Louisville couldn’t match us up front on either side of the ball… I don’t think our offense is near as good as the last 3 teams have made us look… Again I ain’t a troll but man we are a fickle bunch.. When you start winning it is funny how quick we all forget lol

4. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    8:24 pm December 1, 2019 Permalink

Louisville’s record when coupled with the beat down they took from us and ND is enough to prove the ACC suuuuuuuucccckkkkkksssss.

5. jstrunk
    8:34 pm December 1, 2019 Permalink

Am I the only one that wanted to see Alabama fail in large part to Mac Jones being quarterback? Lol. I can’t help it though…I haven’t forgot how he retweeted kiffen after the flip and it’s soured me toward him since.