SEC analyst predicts Johnson will fall short of Year 2 expectations

Former Florida wide receiver Chris Doering (a name you’ll never forget, unfortunately) is now an analyst with the SEC Network and he recently did a segment in which he predicted whether or not the returning quarterbacks of the SEC will “fall short” or “exceed expectations” in 2017.

When it came time to look ahead to Stephen Johnson’s second year at Kentucky, Doering was critical of Johnson’s decision-making in his prediction of a “fall short” season.

He’ll fall short in my opinion, and this is the one I’m most worried about,” Doering said. “I think this was a situation last year, where he came in and was kind of the guy everyone rallied around; was great off the play-action pass; was great throwing the ball deep; but this spring, really had a hard time throwing the ball, making a decision, was very hesitant in the pocket and I think he is thinking too much right now.”

See Doering’s analysis of all returning SEC quarterbacks in the clip below:

My take:

A.) If Johnson isn’t getting it done early, the staff will not hesitate to turn to Drew Barker. Both have reportedly had great preseason camps, so Kentucky’s QB situation is in good hands entering the season.

B.) Doering’s prediction for Johnson isn’t in line with his prediction for Kentucky, unless he expects Barker to take over. Doering recently predicted Kentucky will win nine games for the first time since 1983. “I’m high on Kentucky,” he said. “Kentucky getting to a bowl game last year was quite a feat for them. I think this is a team that can win nine games because of their schedule, because of their depth of talent.”

SEC Network analyst predicts Kentucky will be a dark horse, win 9 games

C.) Big Blue Nation still isn’t over his game-winning catch in 1993.

Article written by Drew Franklin

8 Comments for SEC analyst predicts Johnson will fall short of Year 2 expectations

1. TBW3011
    11:43 am August 16, 2017 Permalink

I agree with Doering and your part A. I just don’t think he’ll meet most people expectations. He won’t fall short of mine though, because I’m not expecting a lot from him. I just haven’t seen the ability to protect the ball and to make any throw other than a deep ball.

2. Ben27
    11:51 am August 16, 2017 Permalink

All speculation and guess work, based on years of failure. I do not blame their pessimism, but one day things will change and my guess is this year with Stoops is the year for change. My speculation is just as good and valid as these so called experts. No one really knows for sure, but we will know soon as the season plays out.

3. ClutchCargo
    11:55 am August 16, 2017 Permalink

Doering could be spot on and UK could still have a good year, just because of depth at QB.

4. jcatron
    12:04 pm August 16, 2017 Permalink

I def understand where he is coming from. My expectations were pretty high until the spring game.
    Johnson (although he struggled in other areas last year) was cool as a cucumber under pressure and in tough situations. I was really shocked to see him rattled in the spring game. The good thing is I think Hinshaw is great and will help him overcome these decision making issues as much as possible and b/c it was not really an issue last year I think it can be fixed. He will never be a Heisman QB but I think he can do enough to put us in positions to win…if the D-Line can stop the run.

5. secrick
    12:23 pm August 16, 2017 Permalink

If he gets protection he will be ok and if we win 9 games he will have a good year even if he is on the bench.

6. Saul T. Nuts
    12:55 pm August 16, 2017 Permalink

Doering can suckit…Johnson is going to have an epic season

7. Souf beach Lou
    4:58 pm August 16, 2017 Permalink

Considering how difficult the QB position is, especially going against the kind of defenses in the SEC, you could argue that Johnson is in front of the curve. He came in as a transfer into a new system and basically mid season due to the Barker injury. The argument can be made that with a full season under his belt and the offseason work and consistency with the team that he is set up to have a big year and improve from last year.

But I also worry that now that there is more film on what Kentucky wants to do with he and Snell that the defenses will catch up to us.

8. bosshogg24
    6:03 pm August 16, 2017 Permalink

Johnson is the best Quarterback in Lexington, he will be better than last year! There is no room on the field for thick legged slow QB’s!