Season ticket sales are down for UK football

commonwealth

Ticket sales are down as Mark Stoops’ fourth season in Lexington draws closer. Today UK released its current tally of 31,841 season-ticket plans sold as of last Friday, with only an 81 percent renewal rate from 2015.

UK sold 45,710 season-ticket plans in last year’s first season after the Commonwealth renovation, which counts all of the student tickets and comps not completely accounted for in the current total for 2016.

Here is a look at the last six seasons of ticket sales in a graphic from UK:

If you’re sitting on the fence, let me push you off of it and toward UK’s ticket office to purchase your tickets today. There is a new $210 season-ticket plan with no K-Fund donation, available in Sections 201-203 and 209-211. This new ticket option is the latest example of UK Athletics working to provide affordable football tickets to its loyal fans. Plenty of other options available, too. (Obviously.)

Go to UKFootballTix.com to learn more.

Article written by Drew Franklin

17 Comments for Season ticket sales are down for UK football

1. The Professor
    6:12 pm May 31, 2016 Permalink

I would say it is unlikely that the athletic department is trying to do something nice for the fans. It is just supply and demand at work. They have too many tickets with little demand because the product has been flawed so the price has come down. If they started winning 6-8 games per year and ticket sales went up then the “no donation” tickets would disappear.

• BluKudzu
      12:55 am June 1, 2016 Permalink

Stoops is just not the guy. But we have him until the 12 million buy out is lowered significantly.
      Back to 2-10 seasons, watching our team getting their brains beat in.
      My God. We almost lost to EKU at home. If that does not explain how inept the program is, nothing will.
      What is Barnharts buy out?

• theWilkman
      10:23 am June 1, 2016 Permalink

BluKudzu is right. We need to fire Stoops and open the pocket book to bring in Saban. That one change would instantly make this a 10-win team

2. david8577
    6:31 pm May 31, 2016 Permalink

Crazy how one trick play at Vandy is going to cost UK 10,000 season tickets.

• scorpiocard
      7:10 pm May 31, 2016 Permalink

What’s crazy is your gross over simplification of the situation. No one play can ruin a season. For starters, you have to be in a position for the trick play to beat you in the first place. A trick play may be the one that stands out, but there are lots of plays in a football game, and you lose based on the accumulation of all of them.

And I’m sure going into OT at home against EKU has nothing to do with slumping ticket sales…yeah right.

Ticket sales are not down because of one play. Ticket sales are down because of the horrible coaching job Stoops is doing, and THAT is what results in getting beat by a trick play.

3. onsides
    7:02 pm May 31, 2016 Permalink

Maybe fans don’t want to pay more for a renovated press box and luxury boxes that don’t have anything to do with them. It doesn’t matter though. UK artificially increases attendance for every game. All is well!

• jhnny
      8:11 pm May 31, 2016 Permalink

This! How do I get myself in on these comp tickets??? I mean if UK is going to artificially increase attendance, the least they can do is send some my way! Hey UK! I have two degrees from your school, how about some comp tickets sent my way???

P.S. No one is going to pay for those tailgate sheds at the prices sought (you know, the ones you built which took away space for tailgating fun for your average fan) if no one is showing up for the game. I have an idea- do something for the average fan for just once in your life.

4. Willrich1970
    7:12 pm May 31, 2016 Permalink

There has been a serious backlash from long time supporters who felt slighted over the whole ticket fiasco last year. Only winning will correct the problem. Winning begats winning begats winning its in the Bible mannnnnnnnn n lololol.

5. tallyhollow
    8:41 pm May 31, 2016 Permalink

Barnfart strikes again. I can’t believe there are 31,000 people dumb enough to buy season tickets to watch Stoops be embarrassed by WKU EKU andddddddddddd SOUTHERN MISS ????????

6. 3 fan
    10:21 pm May 31, 2016 Permalink

How many of those tickets are corporate tickets used as tax breaks? I know ONE person who bought season tickets and he got laughed at

7. WeareBBN
    10:31 pm May 31, 2016 Permalink

I’m happy to be one of those dumb people then. It is also about supporting those players on the field. Last couple years were a little disappointing but I do believe our best players are still mostly Juniors and younger, Soph and younger last season. Is hard to win in the SEC with youth, takes time to build and get depth. We would have success in the Big 10, ACC etc at a quicker pace. I really think Pat was a huge part of the problem last year. Hopefully Drew is what most thought he is, and hopefully he is ready.

• Billy Hill
      8:35 am June 1, 2016 Permalink

Ohio State (BigTen) didn’t seem to have a problem with the SEC’s best.If Kentucky is getting Ohio State’s rejected recruits, how do you expect to do well in the BigTen?

• Blueblueblueblue
      10:45 am June 1, 2016 Permalink

Right, Uk would have a lot of success against Ohio State and Florida State. You can’t blame your conference when you lose to Vandy and UofL and almost get beat by EKU. The problem is Uk.

8. WeareBBN
    10:34 pm May 31, 2016 Permalink

And by the way I renewed mine back in February I think, may have been early March., Was really early when we got a few extras for early renewal, including basketball game tix and a stadium print. I can’t wait for the season to start.

9. Blueblueblueblue
    8:18 am June 1, 2016 Permalink

I always love that when a poster brings up why they are upset about UK football, someone will always chime in that “well it’s tough to win in the SEC”. This is true but irrelevant. UK lost to Vandy and went to OT with EKU. The problem is not Alabama.

10. jack
    8:18 am June 1, 2016 Permalink

this is not a deal in my opinion, in these seats that you list as available, anyone who has been to game before knows that early in season you will COOK on a sunny day here.

11. Patches
    8:29 am June 1, 2016 Permalink

The problem is simple when it comes to ticket sales. Just like anything you purchase you want the best value for your money. Where has the value been in UK football the last 3 yrs of Stoops coaching? Cats were just lucky to win 5 last year when they should have lost the opener, EKU, and South Carolina. Cannot play that way or coach that way and win fans over. To me and most UK fans if Stoops does not put quality on the field this year his time is up. Four years should be proof enough where his coaching skills lie.