Scott Satterfield should probably stop talking

Scott Satterfield had a good thing going. A great thing, actually.

Until recently, Louisville fans were all in on Satterfield. The man was the savior of the program, a breath of fresh air after Bobby Petrino, and Louisville was on its way to being an ACC contender (allegedly). Even Louisville’s haters, people like myself, thought, wow, the bird teeth might’ve really done well with this hire. Good for them.

Then Scott’s true colors came out once another program showed him the slightest bit of attention, and now those fans who thought he was the perfect man for the job, should be extra careful latching onto a head coach with one foot out the door in Year 2.

Days after demanding 100% commitment from everyone in the UofL locker room, Satterfield talked to South Carolina, denied talking to South Carolina, and ran back to Louisville once South Carolina didn’t want him.

It’s a classic move: talk to another program and leverage it for a raise, but Satterfield attempted it IN A PANDEMIC and with an embarrassing record and one of football’s easiest schedules.

The tots on this guy!

Scott Satterfield changes mind again, reportedly staying at Louisville

The South Carolina conversation could’ve been handled much more delicately, but Satterfield is showing us all a reason why South Carolina passed on his candidacy: because he keeps saying all the wrong things and putting himself above the young men who signed up to play football for him.

Today he said “coaches are different” so it’s OK, and it is painful to watch. From John Lewis over at WDRB:

Does he know recruits can hear him? They have access to these press conferences too. Does he know those go on the internet?

If I’m a recruit trying to pick where I’d like to spend my next 4-5 years and who I want leading me toward my goals, HARD PASS on the guy telling me to be all in but he doesn’t have to be all in because he’s a coach. Satterfield’s recent comments have been college football coaching malpractice. Is he trying to make his team hate him? If so he’s nailing it.

Louisville fans, I come in peace to say, be careful. It’s been a rough year and I don’t want to see you getting hurt over this guy. We have our differences, yes, but you don’t deserve to be played like this.

Article written by Drew Franklin

26 Comments for Scott Satterfield should probably stop talking

1. UKinIN
    1:42 pm December 7, 2020 Permalink

That was only 1m 7s out of what was probably a 20-30 minute press conference. But, even taken out of context, it’s still enough to make anyone ask WTF?

• Drew Franklin
      1:47 pm December 7, 2020 Permalink

On top of everything else, it’s enough.

• KYJelly
      4:30 pm December 7, 2020 Permalink

A 1m 7s that felt much longer. Him struggling to walk a wire with his words is enough to clue you in to the guy’s intentions when coupled together with him talking to the Gamecocks

• ClutchCargo
      12:41 am December 8, 2020 Permalink

If you watch the whole thing, it’s even worse.

2. ClutchCargo
    1:57 pm December 7, 2020 Permalink

What the hell is wrong with this guy? I was almost willing to cut him some slack over the L’s down whining after the UK game (yet still point and laugh at him) but this is next level lack of self-awareness, even by UofL standards.

3. jaws2
    2:07 pm December 7, 2020 Permalink

I feel ZERO empathy for uOFsmell.Their delusional fan base gets every miserable thing they deserve. I hope the guy plays them like a fiddle, gets a raise, and then dumps them after next year. The entire school is a dumpster fire and an embarrassment to every college institution in America. Except of course, Harvard.

4. ukkatzfan
    2:17 pm December 7, 2020 Permalink

Players don’t have families ? Are they hatched in an incubator somewhere ? La Familia here at Ky in both bball and football.

• ukkatzfan
      2:18 pm December 7, 2020 Permalink

L’s down X 2

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      2:34 pm December 7, 2020 Permalink

To be fair, he meant that most players don’t have wives and kids.

• SuperTroy18
      3:32 pm December 7, 2020 Permalink

I get what he was saying too, but how often do we actually see college players with kids? It’s not uncommon at all! They’re 18-22 year olds. They not only often have families too, they’re JUST STARTING OUT! They need their careers more than an established coach that usually have million dollar contracts!! This guy is a complete douche bag and self-centered punk. Part of me wants UL to have to find another coach that will probably be awful too; but the other part of me wants this guy to stay there as long as possible and be underachieving while making tons of money. Because that coach right there, will never consistently beat the Cats. He might get lucky once every decade or so, but we will dominate the rivalry if he’s there for the foreseeable future.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      2:34 pm December 7, 2020 Permalink

It was still stupid though.

5. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    2:33 pm December 7, 2020 Permalink

Wrong Drew! He MUST keep talking. We need the entertainment!
    #LsDown4Evah!

6. Southky
    3:40 pm December 7, 2020 Permalink

As I said on a previous basketball post, UK has enough to worry about its own football team without laughing at Louisville.

7. 2andToodleLoo
    4:00 pm December 7, 2020 Permalink

2 things: 1. Never trust a guy who throws his parents under the bus!!! Says he talked to USC bc his parents live there. Ummm okay. Lazy and spineless.
    2. The score in the gif at the bottom of this post from the UK/UL game. Can we make that tiny box much bigger?!

8. Cat68
    4:03 pm December 7, 2020 Permalink

Thought the same about Chris Mack too. Was actually likable until he started smack-talkin’ Cal.

• dcforuk
      5:00 pm December 7, 2020 Permalink

That added to his likability………it’s like a rivalry. It is not a rivalry if one side always wins

• IndianaSucks
      5:41 pm December 7, 2020 Permalink

Looking like he might back out up this year though. Talk all the trash you want if you can back it up. Good for the rivalry in my book.

• IndianaSucks
      5:42 pm December 7, 2020 Permalink

*it

9. Lyle Evans
    4:34 pm December 7, 2020 Permalink

It’s a gaffe: the accidental telling of the truth.

10. Rabbi Li
    8:59 pm December 7, 2020 Permalink

Kentucky fans have to recognize when to step back and let Louisville speak.

• Ryan Lemonds Toupee
      9:50 pm December 7, 2020 Permalink

^this

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:18 am December 8, 2020 Permalink

You said it better than me. Haha.

11. dcforuk
    6:54 am December 8, 2020 Permalink

So how does one go about reconciling the logic of this:

Let’s bash Scott Satterfield for his dance about the differences between players and coaches

AND

Let’s bash Coach Cal for being too much of a players first program

How do you reconcile these two?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:21 am December 8, 2020 Permalink

Because Cal isn’t preaching commitment to the program to his players while flirting with another job and denying it (as far as I know), at least not in the way Satterfield is. If you disagree that’s fine (I do wish Cal was more about the name on the front of the jersey myself), but either way, Scott’s prevaricating is good for our recruiting, so just sit back and enjoy it as Rabbi Li said above!

• dcforuk
      1:18 pm December 8, 2020 Permalink

You made my point for me! Thank you!

12. csnailnrun
    8:12 pm December 8, 2020 Permalink

Loserville is trash and of course they deserve a flap jack