SB Nation’s “Blueprint For A Rebuild” has great stuff from Stoops

Darrell Bird | CatsPause.com

Darrell Bird | CatsPause.com

Darrell Bird | CatsPause.com

SB Nation has an excellent (and fancy) piece on how to rebuild a college football program, featuring six coaches from around the game. Mark Stoops is one of the profiled coaches, as well as his brother Bob, Bill Snyder, Bob Diaco, Justin Fuente, and Kevin Wilson.

Stoops’ section of the article, called “CLAIM YOUR TURF,” focuses on his early success in recruiting at Kentucky and the role the state of Ohio played. Stoops told SB Nation the SEC is a “goldmine” for high school talent and “nearby” Ohio is where he went to work.

It’s a reflex to tie Kentucky into the Southeast and only the Southeast. And it’s easy to assume that a new Kentucky coach is going to have trouble competing for elite high school kids in Florida, Georgia, and Louisiana. They don’t have the same history to sell — they have been ranked in one of the past 29 seasons, and they didn’t finish that season ranked. Upon reaching eighth after defeating No. 1 LSU at home in 2007, the Wildcats lost four of five, and even after defeating Florida State in the Music City Bowl, they finished 8-5 and unranked.

While many of us looked to the south and wondered, Stoops turned and faced north. He signed three Ohio high schoolers (one a four-star prospect) in his abbreviated 2013 recruiting class, but given a full year to prepare, he outright invaded. According to Rivals.com, Ohio produced 19 four-star prospects in the 2014 class. Ohio State landed seven of them, other Big Ten schools reeled in two, Notre Dame landed two, and Oklahoma and Tennessee got one each. Kentucky signed five. In the past five recruiting classes, UK had signed five four-stars, period.

In all, nearly 40 percent of UK’s 2014 class hailed from the Buckeye State.

“It’s home base,” Stoops says. “Ohio was part of the plan all along.”

Give it a read here.

Article written by Drew Franklin

14 Comments for SB Nation’s “Blueprint For A Rebuild” has great stuff from Stoops

1. Nice article, but if you read the whole thing they refer to him as Mike Stoops elsewhere on the page.

2. wow
    7:43 pm August 20, 2014 Permalink

If Towles is a great QB or progresses into one I think were looking at 8-4, 9-3 next year and in two years. This year I think its more of the 4-8, 5-7 zone. We will get close and have many single digits losses, but it will still take another year to get over that losing hump.

• Bob
      8:05 pm August 20, 2014 Permalink

I agree i think this year UK will have an little over 500 season maybe 7/6 season or your 5/7 season. I like these young receivers whom will out on the limb to make plays . The results will hing on this OL this year . I think the defense is strong enough to keep the game in reach for the offense to win . I think the SEC is in for an rude awaking . I have one concern the school is solidly comitted to keep this coach for life also.

3. Gowcats
    7:51 pm August 20, 2014 Permalink

So the untapped potential Coach Stoops was talking about when he was hired was to get kids from Ohio / northern Midwest who want to play in the SEC and still be reasonably close to home. Now if we can keep reaching into the DC / Mid-Atlantic that would be a big plus too.

4. LOL
    8:39 pm August 20, 2014 Permalink

2-10. Yep. Stoops is an expert on rebuilding alright.

• Football Takes Time
      10:29 pm August 20, 2014 Permalink

They, uh, haven’t started the season yet. I’m not sure sure if you’re aware of that or…

5. Election 2016
    9:07 pm August 20, 2014 Permalink

You are dreaming. I bet Barker thought it was funny how Stoops joked with Towles about being the starter. Stoops not yet willing to redshirt Barker. Oh really? He knows if he red shirts him now Barker could get pis**d and move on. Was Barker not the guy that Stoops counted on to recruit 25 other guys. So Barker now sits, Stoops is all about Stoops, not about players.

2-10 last season. Feed me some blue Kool Aid.

• SevenT
      9:12 pm August 20, 2014 Permalink

If you don’t like Kentucky Football then what are you doing on this thread?

Let me guess you are a lonely little troll in search of attention.

6. The ghost of Bill Hicks
    9:34 pm August 20, 2014 Permalink

Wait….people actually think you can do culture change and turn around a football program in a single season? For real?

• Football Takes Time
      10:31 pm August 20, 2014 Permalink

I think that’s what #4 was getting at, but I don’t want to jump to conclusions. It’s possible he may have a learning disability.

7. Steve Kragthorpe
    10:33 pm August 20, 2014 Permalink

Remember how I left UofL’s program? Lmao.

8. Randy Marsh
    11:00 pm August 20, 2014 Permalink

To KSR admins..is the hat Stoops is wearing available at the KSR shop? If not, do you know where I can find one?

9. Randy Marsh
    11:01 pm August 20, 2014 Permalink

Or if anyone else knows about it..

10. Tom
    1:15 pm August 21, 2014 Permalink

Since Ohio is home base, he ought to do well in the MAC. I bet he really wanted the Youngstown State job but it wasn’t open.
    Barker isn’t going to leave. That would make him look like a quitter. And isn’t he recruiting the kid from Berea? Just let him do his thing.
    As long as everyone wants to believe he should have been the starter we can alway’s fall back on that if things don’t go well.
    Any excuse will do at Kentucky, and we ain’t run out of them yet.