Sawyer Smith’s shoulder ‘banged up’ following loss

Photo: Matt Bush-USA TODAY Sports

Photo: Matt Bush-USA TODAY Sports

Kentucky’s bad showing in Starkville was exacerbated by an injury to quarterback Sawyer Smith’s shoulder. The junior out of Troy was 15-41 for 232 yards, no touchdowns, and an interception in Kentucky’s 28-13 loss to Mississippi State, and was in noticeable pain throughout the second half.

“Sawyer got hurt at the end of the second quarter,” Mark Stoops said after the game. “He got dinged with his shoulder, went in, got an X-ray. At the start of the second half, he gave it some throws and was hurt, was in pain. They went in and X-rayed it and he came back. I thought he was done but he came back, gutted it out and really gave us everything he had in the second half but he was dinged up in the shoulder”

Sawyer also hurt his wrist at the end of the Florida game, but Stoops is hopeful he’ll be able to go vs. South Carolina.

“I would think [he’ll be able to play] but you don’t know how he’s going to respond or what he’s going to wake up and feel like.”

Stoops added later that he admired Sawyer’s grit in returning and trying to lead the comeback.

“He’s just got to play. We all still have a lot of confidence in him. The kid is banged up already. He’s got a wrist and a shoulder [injury]. He’s banged up, but he’s going to lay it on the line and everyone can relate to that, respect that. He’s going to make mistakes. It was his second start and he’s going to learn from it.”

72 Comments for Sawyer Smith’s shoulder ‘banged up’ following loss

1. StuckinLville
    7:59 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Season might be different had Terry not been hurt, but it is what it is.

• east-ky-boy
      8:24 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Terry only passed like 15 times a game! I don’t get that mentality

• 4everUKblue
      8:32 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

That was last season when we had Bennie, you have no idea how many times he would’ve passed this season.

• east-ky-boy
      9:21 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Yes I do. He played 2 games. Lol

• notFromhere
      9:42 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Losing Terry hurt us, no doubt, but we have a lot of season left. We have to bring it on the home stand as fans, but also on the airwaves. Lift these Cars up. They’re gonna be down a bit after this one.

2. Slam242424
    8:00 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Seasons over.

• AshtonTheGOAT
      12:39 pm September 22, 2019 Permalink

No it’s not if you where a real fan you would know that now if you think the seasons over than go cheer for some other team

3. UKCatAttack
    8:04 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

He threw the pick 6 before the injury. The injury had no effect on the outcome. Quit making excuses. We were bad in several areas besides QB.

4. My Dixie Wrecked
    8:06 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

If he got hurt at the end of the 2nd Q, what was his excuse before that?

5. drew_123
    8:07 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Receivers, secondary, defense, coaches… etc. just about everyone was bad except the o-line for the most part.

6. Wade
    8:07 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

How bout Lynn catch some balls, Landon could have stopped that sack if he stayed with it, and the defense show up. IT was just about effort today. That was it. They didn’t show up to win a game. Smith did all he could to be honest. I don’t fault him one bit. Our kicker sucks can I say that again. Glad he’s been replaced.

• 4everUKblue
      8:36 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Bowden dropped two passes, one the second one would’ve been a great catch as badly as the ball was thrown. Wagner dropped a TD pass too but I don’t see you mentioning that. Bowden had a decent game other than those two drops.

• Secret Squirrel
      8:41 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Do you think Terry made better throws?

• east-ky-boy
      9:30 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

You saying smith can’t throw due to him being white? I’m using your methods lol

• Wade
      10:36 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Easy big catches if you ask me . Ones a team captain and nfl pick makes

• 4everUKblue
      8:49 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Terry didn’t throw nearly that much last season and yes he made some very good throws. Smith’s QBR tonight was 35.1

7. wildcatlen
    8:08 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

This was a very unprepared and uninspired team/effort today. Pathetic waste of my time to watch.

8. CopenhagenCat
    8:08 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Awful. Whole team played like crap.

9. Bluebloodtoo
    8:10 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

The offense spent the entire off season preparing to operate in a triple threat RPO. Gran can’t tell me that other teams really fear smith running the ball right now. This is a bad situation for everyone.

10. Slam242424
    8:13 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

It’s over. Coaches are making millions. Snell and Allen basically got the coaches paid with ridiculous contracts. We can’t even field a legit kicker.

It’s hoops time. What will our starting five be?

• KYjellyRoll
      8:19 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Ashton, maxey, Immanuel, Richards/Montgomery, sestina/brooks?

• KYjellyRoll
      8:20 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Lol left a lot to be desired there with a certain “5” lol

11. Hal Chidick
    8:16 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Smith gutted it out. The play was not bad, Rose was strong. They need to get fired up or the remaining SEC games or it will be a long season.

12. Slam242424
    8:20 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

One more thing.

Stoops and UK coaches come on to KSR quite frequently. Does anyone here really believe KSR will do state anything to jeopardize their relationship with UK coaches by reporting the truth without sugar-coating or skewing the angles to help make thing more excusable and even including headlines such as “surge” or “”Smith was injured”?

• Bluebloodtoo
      8:37 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

The last thing the UK coaches are worried about right now is what KSR says. They are worried about winning football games. If they do that ( which IS their job) then none of this matters. Coaches are NOT worried about KSR headlines.

• Bluebloodtoo
      8:41 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Also, last week KSR was basically throwing in the towel on the catching staff in their articles and all the comment section tore into them for the negative approach. Now they are positive spin and everyone is still mad at them. Seriously?

13. largoky
    8:21 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Just mad…

14. largoky
    8:22 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Hello defense???

15. largoky
    8:24 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

What did that have to do with the defense?

16. largoky
    8:26 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Sorry…lit in FL..I’ll stop now…

17. east-ky-boy
    8:27 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

I’m so ticked at people not liking smith! The kid reminds me Jared lorenzen! Big arm! Guts! Will take some chance and throw some picks but will also make some big throws! Gezzzzz terry is NOT a accurate passer which is why he only throws it like 15-20 times a game when he played! We as a fan base (most anyways) have been wanting to open the field up more and now we have. The kid made a couple mistakes. But y’all are the same people who said terry sucked last year for fumbling! I believe y’all would boo Jesus Christ!

• 4everUKblue
      8:39 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

I don’t dislike Smith but I prefer TW. Smith was not all that accurate today either, he threw two picks last week and fumbled for a turnover. I sure hope there’s not some other reason you don’t like TW.

• Secret Squirrel
      9:11 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

You are dying to bring race into it. You are disgusting.

• east-ky-boy
      9:18 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

You just call me disgusting?

• Secret Squirrel
      9:29 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

I was talking to 4everidiot.

• east-ky-boy
      9:19 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

What part had anything to do with the color of skin? I HATE racism!

• east-ky-boy
      9:18 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

I like terry Wilson. So if you are hinting I’m racist then you can kiss it! I am not in the slightest! Love terry! Great kid! Won 10 games! I hate the style of play they use with him but we won! The smith preferences comes down to one thing and one thing ONLY…. style. I personally (I have a right to an opinion) prefer throwing a lot down field. That’s all.

• Wade
      10:40 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Dude played 2 games so far and terry played like shit first few games last yr. he was terry fumble for a while. I like both guys. Smiths first start was against fl and he set us up to win it then chance poore happened.

• 4everUKblue
      12:46 pm September 22, 2019 Permalink

Terry never played as bad as this guy’s first two games and this is his 4th year. He also set us up to lose with 3 turnovers, maybe you missed that wade.

18. CahillsCrossingNT
    8:32 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Tennessee Martin and one other game will be their only remaining wins this year. It will be either Louisville or Tennessee but not both.

19. dcforuk
    8:37 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

FWIW here is my perspective. Given what we lost last year even though we had a lot coming back when I looked at the schedule I thought 3-2 after five games would be good and was hoping for 4-1. 3-2 is still possible after a ton of adversity with TW going down. As President Snow said, “A little hope is effective. A lot of hope is dangerous.”

20. twilkjr
    8:38 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

The Cats are back to form.

• Slam242424
      8:42 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

They keep dissecting and trying to figure it out. We are now a .500 team at best and THIS is UK football. Can’t wait until BBM.

21. EastKYCAT
    8:43 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Guys, we would have won if we could catch a ball. Lynn dropped some catchable balls today.

• 4everUKblue
      8:51 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Yeah it was all Bowden’s fault. You’re an idiot. Wagner dropped a TD pass too but I didn’t see you mention that. I’m beginning to wonder is you might not like African Americans.

• Secret Squirrel
      9:14 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

You are a complete moron. I say that without knowing your ethnicity. Terry could do no wrong in your eyes, but you are all over Smith. I’m beginning to think you might not like Caucasians.

• east-ky-boy
      9:23 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Dude! Are you stupid!!??!?? Why bring the race card up?? Gezzz get a life! If Bowden was the great white hope he still needs to catch the ball! Nothing to do with skin color. You have problems

• Secret Squirrel
      9:33 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

4everidiot is a keyboard warrior.

• east-ky-boy
      9:24 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Maybe you are racist. Starting to sound that way

• east-ky-boy
      9:40 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

There is ONE person on these threads that allows the color of skin to matter in their opinions it is 4everUKblue. How ironic! He’s the one that is the exactly what he tries to accuse everyone else to be !

• 4everUKblue
      12:48 pm September 22, 2019 Permalink

You’ve never seen me make racists remarks because I haven’t, If I were a racist I might be pulling for Smith instead of TW…..hmmm. Look who’s doing that eastkyboy.

• 4everUKblue
      12:49 pm September 22, 2019 Permalink

Squirrel is just a plain idiot who doesn’t own a keyboard..

• 4everUKblue
      12:50 pm September 22, 2019 Permalink

Squirrel as it turns out I am white and I don’t dislike either of the QB’s, I just prefer TW because he gives us a better chance to win….see last season. Dumbfuk!

• Secret Squirrel
      11:04 pm September 22, 2019 Permalink

Tell me how he would have gave us a better chance to win Sat.

22. Bluebloodtoo
    8:51 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

My guess? Stoops prepared for the wrong QB. he basically told everyone that he can’t prepare for 2 QB in one week because the defense is too complex in his post game last week. Obviously MS St picked up on that and used it this week. Stoops needs to be more vague in his explanations.

23. dcforuk
    9:00 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

OPEN LETTER TO PLAYERS:

The last time that I checked, faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.

T.E. said that Faith means acting on what God says in spite of our opinions, our experience, our education. Faith is acting on the truth, whether we feel the truth or not, whether we like the truth or not, whether we agree with the truth or not.

The truth is that you are experiencing some adversity. My daughter runs XC and I find it interesting how there are parents that encourage when they cheer and there are parents who want their kids to exceed what the parents did (as a child) so much that they yell and shout for their kids to do better from the perspective of “nothing is impossible for the person who does not have to do it.”

You need encouragement. Many, not all, fans are here to encourage you and fill you up with courage. Listen to those fans. Ignore the negative nancys. Yes, all of us fans, especially me, want to win. “Winning” may look a little different this year but there is still a ton to play for………each other, your coaches, 8 opponents etc. Whatever you do this week in practice, work at it with all heart as working for the Lord, not for man and not for fans. Hang in there. As TMac sings “We lose our way,
    We get back up again It’s never too late to get back up again, One day you’re gonna shine again, You may be knocked down, But not out forever, Lose our way, We get back up again, So get up, get up, You gonna shine again, Never too late to get back up again,
    You may be knocked down, But not out forever!

24. Hot Stuff Eddie Gilbert
    9:05 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

With Smith nursing multiple injuries, why did Stoops have him in the game on that meaningless last drive? Idiotic.

25. dcforuk
    9:26 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

When is a couple officially married? When the certificate is signed? When the minister says I pronounce you man and wife? When it’s consummated? It’s not one of those things. It’s all those things. We lost because of ALL “those” things with those including……(1) negative momentum early, (2) a couple of key missed connections, (3) some points not captured for the taking, (4) a strong opposing QB performance, (5), (6), (7), (8), (9) and (10)

26. notFromhere
    9:44 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Losing Terry hurt us, no doubt, but we have a lot of season left. We have to bring it on during the home stand as fans, but also on the airwaves. Lift these Cats up. They’re gonna be down a bit after this one.

Stop being psses and fair weather fans and get behind your football team! Tired of all the woe is me BS from some people

27. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    10:25 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Let Gilmore play. He’ll struggle early but will be prepared for years to come.

• dcforuk
      10:45 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

I don’t think that would be a wise choice…..

• east-ky-boy
      11:16 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Smith has made some bad throws. And some GREAT throws. Had our receivers caught some and our defense actually tackle then we coulda won.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      12:47 am September 22, 2019 Permalink

He’s hurt.

28. BluKudzu
    10:55 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Yeah. Who would question coaching after two games which absolutely ended the way I told you.

I told EVERYONE to take MSU and give the points.

Please post your winnings!!!!

29. sammysunshine
    10:55 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Rumor is Gilmore at this point has zero concept of the playbook

30. nadkin
    11:49 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

I have lost all respect for Kash, but other than that, we sucked today. We have lost our starting QB, does anyone remember that, Sawyer was a back up for a reason. We get it together, and hope to get the game Columbia as a win. If we can pull together, and get a SEC win on the road, that is still a big thing for Kentucky. After the first week of NCAAF we thought we pooped roses, not now, lets make the best that we can of the situation! This is the SEC, the teams that improve through the year are the ones that are good. I hope we can improve on the current situation!

31. Kendrick
    3:18 pm September 22, 2019 Permalink

Looks at the stats of Sawyer through 2 games throwing, compared to our running game. Stoops system is not throwing, it’s a run first