IMG_0376

In case you’ve been off Twitter for the past few hours, the media tour of Commonwealth Stadium just wrapped up. Drew will have a full recap of it on the site for you tonight, along with plenty of pictures, but there was one bit of news to pass along. UK senior associate athletic director Russ Pear reiterated to reporters that the stadium will ready for the opener on September 5, albeit not 100% finished.

“We’re going to be ready to go,” Pear said, telling reporters that they expect the concourses and amenities will be finished for week one; however, he did admit there will still be some things to finish up, or as he called it, “the little things to make the house a home.”

I watched a few of the Periscope tours, and I’ll admit, I’m skeptical. There’s A LOT of work to be done. We’ll see what Drew thinks later.

6 Comments for Russ Pear reiterates the stadium will be ready to go (but not totally finished) on September 5

1. asdf
    4:22 pm July 22, 2015 Permalink

It definitely will be ready to go (but you might have to bring your own fold out picnic chairs).

2. RUPPS_rhetoric
    4:40 pm July 22, 2015 Permalink

I see construction projects of all kinds on a weekly basis; granted not a stadium, but large scale commercial projects. I get why people think there is “A LOT” of work to do; and there is, to an extent. However from what I’ve gathered, all of the structure, mechanical’s, plumbing, and electrical look pretty much in place. That’s the time-consuming stuff. In a few of the pictures I’ve seen, you can see they’re hanging and mudding drywall. That’s a key step in the process. Next up… the FINISHING: painting, installing ceilings, light fixtures, casework, flooring, etc… That stuff CAN go pretty quick, assuming they have the workforce doing this that I think they do. Not to mention, at this point, on a job this big, all the materials are staged and ready to go at a moment’s notice. You’d be amazed at the progress you would see if you went back in 3 weeks; I can promise you that. They are at the phase right before you start finishing and it essentially looks very incomplete at this point. Looks however can be deceiving as they are about to turn a major corner and you’ll see DRASTIC changes in the coming weeks. I expect most of the stuff the general public will encounter on opening day will be 95% complete. I know there will be a lot of armchair general contractors and construction experts commenting today; but as someone who is in the industry; I feel that they are in better shape than most think. Just my $.02. GO CATS! CAN’T WAIT!

• TeamNoSheep
      5:16 pm July 22, 2015 Permalink

RUPPS_rhetoric took the words right out of my mouth! I’m an architect with a project that’s a little behind CWS in completion, and it’s scheduled to be done in late September. Every light fixture, every gallon of paint, and every yard of carpet going in the stadium is undoubtedly sitting in a warehouse in Fayette county. The thing to realize is that a stadium, as a percentage of the total area, has very little “finished” space, so a lot of the stadium is done except for final cleaning. Given the historically cold winter and wet spring/summer, it’s commendable that they are this close. As long as manpower is available, they’ll get it done.

3. jeff j
    5:08 pm July 22, 2015 Permalink

AFTER we beat S.C. and go 2-0 & “chomp chomp” comes to town, i could care less about the aesthetics ………………….

4. Samuel
    6:25 pm July 22, 2015 Permalink

I am currently one of the ppl working on this massive project and it has tons of work to do…will be lucky to have 75% done when season starts…and I really doubt that will happen

• Jerry
      9:48 pm July 22, 2015 Permalink

I’m Santa Claus. I have my reindeer release their bowels when I fly over Louisville.