REPORT: Neal Brown taking the Troy job

BrownMediaDay

Well, that didn’t take long. FootballScoop.com is reporting that UK offensive coordinator Neal Brown is taking the head coaching job at Troy. They are also reporting that Brown will not take any of the current UK assistants with him.

For those of you upset with the play calling, there is that I guess.

[FootballScoop.com]

52 Comments for REPORT: Neal Brown taking the Troy job

1. AndTheDevil
    4:03 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

*sniff*sniff* Gonna miss those runs up the middle and screen passes

2. Smyrna_Cat
    4:03 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

Is that why the offense was so sucky today?

3. Time Expired
    4:03 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

Best news all day for me. Have not been and never will be a fan of his and his really stupid play calling. I know I will likely get either booted for this comment or blasted by others but he has showed me nothing in 2 years.

• mashburnfan1
      5:34 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

Yeah Expired, normally when you tell the truth here you get blasted, more for bball than fball though. I agree with you 100% and hope he takes the job before they change their mind.

4. Melvit
    4:03 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

Didn’t think there could have been a worse play caller than Joker. I hope he leaves.

• cats paw
      4:13 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

Time to unwrap the MUMME!!!!

• Deacon
      4:20 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

Barnhart would never allow it, but it would be an awesome move.

5. Katya
    4:07 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

While I hate that we lost, this following that almost makes up for it. I wonder who we’ll get. I really hated this guy’s playcalling. I’d seen enough draw plays and screens during the Joke’s tenure.

6. RexRox
    4:08 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

Wish him all he best, but there is much room for improvement in the play calling. f you can’t run, why not use a west coast offense with Boom Williams in the Roger Craig role?

In the end though, the difference in today’s game was UK’s offensive line and UofL’s defensive front. If Wisconsin can recruit NFL caliber offensive lineman, I’m sure UK can.

7. Willy
    4:08 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

Hope Troy’s defense is capable of scoring, they’re offense will never get a sniff!!

8. Elk
    4:11 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

I hope that he will have a very successful career as a head coach, but like everyone else, I feel that it is time for a new play caller.

9. AirForceOne
    4:13 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

Please take Navar and his backwards hat with you.

• Time Expired
      4:17 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

Take the defensive coordinator too after giving up over 400 yds to a 3rd string QB. Just no excuse except for terrible coaching at this level.

• AirForceOne
      4:21 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

Take Cody Quinn too. He does not belong in the SEC.

10. jordan swindle false start
    4:14 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

Good riddance! At first there was anticipation of running the “air raid” then running the “wildcat” then just running anything resembling a D1 offense then hoping Joker would come back.

• Melvit
      4:17 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

I’ll never hope that Joker comes back. He was just as bad a play caller when he was OC.

11. Smyrna_Cat
    4:17 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

I think the frustrating part is that not only did we NOT get an air raid offense, it was difficult to tell if we had ANY offense? So many times this year I just shook my head at how amazingly bad our offense was. There didn’t seem to be any thought put into the plays we ran.

12. keiths
    4:18 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

good riddance. i think dancing man from rupp arena could call a better game

13. WildFan
    4:19 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

I could never make up my mind if Neal Brown’s play calling was really that horrible or if it was the fact that Towles was incapable of anything more than screen passes and very poor hand-offs for run plays. Now I hope I don’t have to find out. Neal Brown – GONE. Now send Patty to a D3 team where he could look like a poor man’s Tebow.

14. Time Expired
    4:19 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

Stoops has got to look at the quarterback position next year as Towles just crapped out the last half of the year. A giant failure for sure.

• BTownUKFan
      4:22 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

I agree, Towles decision making was not any better at the end of the season, he developed happy feet and wouldn’t sit in the pocket, way too many bad passes. Throwing to a guy running out of bounds two yards short of the marker on a 3rd down was his signature play.

• Ken Grizzle
      4:37 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

Today, their third string QB looked 20 times better than our starting QB. Just sayin

15. BTownUKFan
    4:20 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

Running into the teeth of the defense on first down does not bode well for an OC. Brown’s offensive schemes may be something special but his play calling decisions were horendous. He left us with second and long…third and long way too many times to allow for any offensive rythm.
    Defense accounted for most of our points, several drives had to settle for field goals when we needed to score touchdowns.
    Defense couldn’t contain Parker but they did everything they could to help the offense.

16. msnthrop
    4:22 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

He won’t be the last assistant to move on this off-season either, I’d figure at least Naivar is a certainty to leave. With Coach Stoops contracted for 5 years UK will be a very promising location for an up and coming offensive assistant to take a solid 3 year deal, hopefully at no more salary than Brown and Eliot made this year, 550k, and work with a couple of solid classes of recruits. This choice, if it proves to be true, was a no-brainer for Brown. His strong reputation from his work prior to UK is still mostly intact and it resulted in a job offer that is probably for more money and more years than UK could/would have offered him. I bet Eliot gets 2 more years tacked on, hopefully at the same salary but I wouldn’t be all that surprised if they went 600k. I think Stoops will be pretty loyal to him. This offensive coordinator hire will be pretty huge for UK over the next couple of years, hit it right and find someone who can mold existing personnel into a cohesive unit, and some measure of success is well within reach, hit it wrong with some system guy who wants to take a completely different approach from the foundation Brown has built and much of the improvement from this year may whither away.

• Time Expired
      4:30 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

Please tell me anything that Brown built for this team foundation wise. He was no more than a white Joker Phillips. Horrible play calling for 2 years in a roll in not a foundation. Stoops needs a proven experienced play caller who can coach what he has and not try to make them something they aren’t. Also the defense under Eliot has given up how many points in the last 6 games. I believe Mumme’s defense was better than this team.

• Ken Grizzle
      4:39 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

If I were Stoops I’d look no farther than W.Ky. for
      an offensive coordinator.

• msnthrop
      5:01 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

Time – I’d venture a number of the our offensive recruits were pulled in because of Brown and I don’t think he instilled any bad habits. I figure player development is a separate skill from play calling, and in the development department I think he did enough earned his pay…Eliot came with Stoops, I don’t think Coach would kick him lose unless Barnhart veto’s him and refuses to extend him for at least 1, probably 2 more years

17. The Seer
    4:26 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

Will Muschamp is available…..

• Elk
      4:31 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

Muschamp is a defensive coordinator, my friend.

• msnthrop
      4:34 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

Muschamp’s experience is on the defensive side of the ball…

• The Seer
      8:54 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

I’m sorry. I thought you’d be able to see my tongue in my cheek.

18. Lip Man 1
    4:27 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

It’s always easy to blame the play calling and that has a factor but keep something in mind, many of the important skill positions on both sides of the football are being filled by young, still inexperienced players.

It takes time, folks, like it or not.

Progress is being made fans but the talent gap, especially on defense between UK and good programs is still large.

Give Stoops time.

• Smyrna_Cat
      4:31 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

Sorry, this isn’t about lack of skilled players. It was two things: (1) horrible, conservative play calling, and (2) Towles inability to make an adjustment. Put together that is a deadly combination.

19. Hermes
    4:29 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

Good. I wish Mr. Brown the best of luck but this offense has been a disaster since the Miss. St. game. Ran out of gimmicks. People got wise to wildcat. Then we moved to Towles’ runs as major part of offense. Towles got banged up and other teams were ready. O Line, especially at guard, is pathetic. I love UK football but I’m glad this is over…couldn’t stand to watch it anymore. I hope Barker is ready to compete with Towles for QB next year. I am very, very disappointed with Towles but I will give him some slack for lacking an OL. Maybe a new OC can bring things together. Go hire Jeff Brohm away from WKU and pay him $1,000,000 per year (just dreaming).

20. Katya
    4:35 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

Let’s go get Kurt Roper. Some people are saying Murray State’s coach, why go D-II?

• jedijames007
      7:55 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

Chris Hatcher would be a good OC. Murray has a high scoring offense, crappy D though…….

21. Time Expired
    4:36 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

I like Stoops but he has got to be smarter as to who he picks as assistants as he has a group of poor ones right now.

22. rainman
    4:37 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

Only two years too late!
    BYE BYE!

23. cats paw
    4:39 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

The blame for losing is always put somewhere other than on the one that is responsible. Going for a TD instead of a FG, going for the extra point instead of for Two, game after game of multiple untimely unnecessary roughness, offsides and various other calls are mistakes I would expect to see a high school coach making.
    Stoops has a headphone set and can overrule any play that is called (offense or defense)!!! Regardless of a teams talent level….. If a coach is paid a couple million a year, the least he could do is have a disciplined team that don’t beat itself. I’m sure Stoops will improve this with experience but this is just another reason a rookie coach should have never been given the pay rate he received….and we won’t even talk about the raises!

• rainman
      9:00 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

Someone trying to make a case for the Adulterer again!

24. house kat
    4:44 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

Best news I’ve had all day.

25. Time Expired
    4:45 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

And again the cry of the UK football fan is “Wait till next year”.

• cats paw
      4:47 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

Amen! They need to change the slogan from “why not” to “wait till next year”!

• RZ67
      5:15 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

And again the sad, attention-seeking UL fans are on a UK site trying to sooth their seething inferiority complex even after a win.

• cats paw
      5:25 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

Make that…after 4 straight wins! I’m thinking you have the inferiority complex. I think I’m seeing things perfectly clear

• UK Big Board Update
      5:38 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

^ TARD TROLL IS BACK!!!!!

• RZ67
      6:24 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

I don’t think you even understand what inferiority complex means.

26. DC Cat
    5:49 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

Typical…bunch of wanna be coaches in the comments section. I really don’t get the negativeness of people. And the “he’s just a white Joker” comments?!?!? Idiots.

27. Kelkat
    6:02 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

My concern is recruiting. I had issues with Neal Brown’s play calling too, especially on that last drive. How much of that was because of Patrick’s struggle? Did Patrick make any audibles…and if he didn’t should have he maybe checked out of some plays?

I am like every other UK fan…very disappointed in a game we could have won. The plays on the last drive were horrible. I am OK with Neal Brown going or staying. OC’s are always the first guy the fans won’t to fire.

Like I said, my concern…how will him leaving affect UK’s recruiting going forward? Ultimately…recruiting is the only thing that is going to change the direction of UK’s progam. And so far…Stoops has been recruiting at a higher level then UK has ever recruited before. How much will losing Neal Brown affect that???

28. Kyblue34
    6:41 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

Thank you, God!

29. Kyblue34
    6:52 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

Is he taking Schlarman and Scott with him? (Fingers crossed)

30. sonnyg333
    7:23 pm November 29, 2014 Permalink

With him calling every run play up the middle to ul strengths and one of their only strengths, I have to say I’m not impressed with what he did in this ul game or in all the beat downs this year. Brown was over rated…

Maybe now we can get a coach that has a much better grasp of things…