The Stoops family has been at the heart of the Florida State coaching search since the Seminoles terminated Willie Taggart. According to one FSU reporter, 247’s Josh Newburg, Mark Stoops recently met with officials for an interview about their head coaching vacancy.

Newburg reports Stoops met with FSU brass last week in Cincinnati for an interview. He was not offered the job. A week after the interview, the reporter was informed Stoops does not consider himself a candidate for Florida State’s head coaching vacancy and the two parties do not plan on meeting again in the future.

The implication from this report is that the Seminoles are looking for the biggest name they can find, which is probably why FSU president John Thrasher is asking boosters to donate more money to the institution.

For Kentucky fans, a moment of panic was quickly followed by a feeling of relief. Mark Stoops apparently gauged the Seminoles interest in person before deciding he’s not interested in leaving the University of Kentucky.

[247 Sports]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

14 Comments for REPORT: Mark Stoops met with Florida State officials but is no longer a candidate

1. Ridge Runner
    9:52 am November 23, 2019 Permalink

I think many of us knew this had happened and me personally, won’t feel it’s done until a new coach is there.

• makeitstop
      10:10 am November 23, 2019 Permalink

Agreed – if they came back and offered he’d likely take it, unless he felt too much of the fan base would be disappointed and he’d start off behind the 8 ball, then he’d use it to get more money here.

2. zoupman
    9:55 am November 23, 2019 Permalink

I think after looking at footage of second half of UT game, they are not interested in him.

3. makeitstop
    10:07 am November 23, 2019 Permalink

Nick, he doesn’t say he’s not interested in leaving UK or not interested in the job. He apparently told the source he thinks he’s no longer a candidate bc they are “big game hunting.” I listened to the segment and it sounds like Stoops was interested, which is what I took from his comments, reading bt the lines, and the miffed “they love u one minute and hate u the next” remark he made after Vandy, that’s rationalizing going up to meet them. They do want a bigger name but they aren’t going to get one on reputation or money, it’s going to hv to be someone who wants out of where they are. The job’s just not that good. It’s the 3rd best job in the state by some measures, it’ll never be the number one school, it’s a basketball conference and they basically had one coach for most of their existence. It’s a good job for someone like Fleck or Campbell or Norvell (maybe Malzahn) but not for Kelly or Franklin unless they just want out of where they are for political reasons.i think u read too much into his “lack of interest” – It’s just that Florida State won’t date girls in its league bc it still thinks it’s BMOC, but really it should find a mirror and take the girl that likes them.

4. bbn606
    10:35 am November 23, 2019 Permalink

I do not blame Stoops for meeting with them because I believe any man should do what is best for his family. I just wonder what the recruits are feeling now especially the ones that he and Marrow spent most of the night “putting out fires” and then later meeting with State. Apparently his word is not what it should be.

• njcat54
      12:19 pm November 23, 2019 Permalink

What’s best for his family?

I think his family is doing just fine right where he’s at. Leaving for $5M when you’re making $4.5M is just greed.

5. clarks
    10:40 am November 23, 2019 Permalink

He would b stupid for not listening but sounds to me like he shut that down more than anything so he is not dealing with it in recruiting

6. DelrayCat
    11:06 am November 23, 2019 Permalink

Mitch gonna have to stroke an even bigger check now.

7. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    12:11 pm November 23, 2019 Permalink

“miffed ‘they love u one minute and hate u the next’”…said every coach ever.

I love Stoops, but it goes with the territory, especially with the insane salaries these guys are making these days.

8. WildcatCam
    1:07 pm November 23, 2019 Permalink

When I click on an article, and go to the page for that article, the comments don’t load for some reason. Having a hard time liking this new format. The articles are almost too wide on the computer screen now. Also, the comments section on the mobile site don’t show what messages are replies to other comments and which comments are new.

9. bluecorvettecat
    3:30 pm November 23, 2019 Permalink

FSU was turned off by TN loss- not first time Stoops blew great opportunity for a sure win- remember last year- Stoops already top 20 $$$ salary- his conservative style does Not ignite fan base- FSU chose not to make offer and Stoops pulled out ro save face.
    We will be 6-6 this year loosing to UL. We go to bowl with no credibility of respectably.

• lizzyuk
      5:36 pm November 23, 2019 Permalink

I’m sorry, but I’ll take his conservative play all day if we WIN and go to bowl games. That’s more than everyone but Papa Brooks and Bear Bryant can say. Did you want to go back to the Hal Mumme Air Raid days when we still couldn’t win games with the best QB we’ll ever see at UK–Tim Couch– bc our defense was such shit?

We lost our 1-3 strings of QBs this year and will STILL make a bowl — I love Papa Brooks but we barely made bowl games even with guys like Woodson and Cobb.

Face it, the games might be ugly, but Stoops & Staff wins ball games — even with below average or no QBs– and after being the cellar dweller of the SEC for decades, I do not understand why people still aren’t on the Stoops bandwagon.

10. BBNBRIAN
    5:05 pm November 23, 2019 Permalink

I despise this new format! With that being said, we can only hope Stoops takes the FSU job when they realize he is the “biggest name” that is even half interested.

• BBNBRIAN
      5:07 pm November 23, 2019 Permalink

Also, now I can’t access the site from my desktop computer – says I’m blocked…?