With just three weeks till the start of SEC football, Kentucky is one of just three schools in the conference with no attendance policy announced for the 2020 season.
Soon, though, UK will release its plans, and it’s going to include fans at Kroger Field this fall.
According to Justin Rowland of Cats Illustrated, Kentucky is planning to allow 20% general seating capacity, along with 50% in suites.
Cats Illustrated has learned that the current Kentucky plan is to allow 20% general seating capacity and 50% in suites for the 2020 football season. Both @TravisGraf_ and I can confirm.
— Justin Rowland (@RowlandRIVALS) September 5, 2020
This plan would follow Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear’s approved plan for Louisville football games, which was announced on Sept. 3.
“It’s a 20% capacity with everybody spread out and only sitting next to family units,” Beshear said in his Thursday press briefing. “The university worked pretty well with us. They started out in a different place, but at the end of the day, the president Bendapudi called and said ‘We want to do this as safe as we can’ and they showed that commitment.”
Louisville originally proposed a plan for 30% capacity at Cardinal Stadium, which would have brought in roughly 18,000 fans. Now, UofL will host roughly 12,000 fans on game days.
Western Kentucky previously had its capacity plan approved by Beshear, which will also be 20%, good for roughly 5,000 fans per game.
Should Kentucky’s 20% plan be approved, as expected, 12,200 fans will be allowed to attend games at Kroger Field each week.
As of this week, here are the updated attendance numbers throughout the SEC:
- Alabama – 20,364 max, 20% of stadium
- Arkansas – ~17,000 max, 23% of stadium
- Auburn – 17,490 max, 20% of stadium
- Florida – ~17,000 max, 20% of stadium
- Georgia – Between 18,550 and 23,180, 25% of stadium
- Kentucky – No policy announced (yet)
- LSU – No policy announced
- Mississippi State – 15,334 max, 25% of stadium
- Missouri – 15,655 max, 25% of stadium
- Ole Miss – 16,009 max, 25% of stadium
- South Carolina – 20,000
- Tennessee – 25,614 max, 25% of stadium
- Texas A&M – 25,683 max, 25% of stadium
- Vanderbilt – No policy announced