Remember when the College Football Playoff bracket was on UK’s wall?

Let me take you back in time to July 2017. Kentucky was coming off a 7-6 season and preparing for year five of the Mark Stoops Era. The new $45 million practice facility had been open for a year and a sign on the weight room wall kept catching people’s eyes: a replica of the College Football Playoff Bracket with Kentucky’s name in one of the four slots under the heading “What have you done to get better today?”

At the time, most mocked the sign, but 16 months later, here the Cats are, number nine in the College Football Playoff rankings. It’s not the top four, but could any of us have imagined that?

A win over Georgia (No. 6 in the rankings) would move Kentucky up that list even further up that list, possibly into the top six. That seems crazy…but not as crazy as that sign did 16 months ago.

[mobile_ad]

13 Comments for Remember when the College Football Playoff bracket was on UK’s wall?

1. Wade
    11:11 am October 31, 2018 Permalink

In my best Dracula voice hahahhahahahhahahahahabahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahhaaba

2. EastKYCAT
    11:36 am October 31, 2018 Permalink

No one. No one that follows the CATS predicted this type of season. I will say I thought we would go 8-4. It looks like we can go further than 8-4. This season is special and to be able to watch it unfold is fun. I believe we are going to give everything the Dawgs want this Saturday. They struggle with run game and Fromm struggles in the pocket when pressure is placed on him. CATS by 3, 27-24.

• CombatMedic_98
      4:04 pm October 31, 2018 Permalink

I called 10-2 back in August…I hope I am wrong and we go 12-1 after the final game! If so, recruiting door just exploded open!!!

3. Alleykat16
    12:02 pm October 31, 2018 Permalink

I believe short of beating ‘bama in the SEC Championship game we will not be in the playoff. ESPN has more or less treated us a overly lucky team. But I was surprised that the committee takes us a little more serious. Ranking is at #9 was great showed me they take as a very good football team. GO BIG BLUE!

• foamfinger
      12:51 pm October 31, 2018 Permalink

There have been some good articles I’ve read that show this year’s committee is really valuing how good a defense is, which is why LSU with one loss gets the nod over Notre Dame or even UK coming ahead of OSU. Washington State probably has a solid defense, but they are above us because their offense is so good and it is paired with what is, at worst, a serviceable defense.

4. KYCat4EVER
    12:42 pm October 31, 2018 Permalink

This 2017 Weight Room picture solidifies what our football program has used so effectively… being the underdogs… being mocked by others… being disrespected by pundits… being left to fight the world with our own initiative … SO PROUD OF UK FOOTBALL

5. davis2319
    12:45 pm October 31, 2018 Permalink

Obviously we need to win out the rest of the regular season, but it would be nice to see Alabama lay an egg and get beat this weekend in Baton Rouge. I’m not saying we could beat Bama or LSU, but our most realistic shot would be to play LSU in Atlanta. But first things first we need to beat the dawgs Saturday!

6. Teamhhc1
    1:04 pm October 31, 2018 Permalink

I’m gonna dream and dream big!!! CATS 48 and dawgs 7. We make a statement win!!!!

• SanDiegoDave
      1:22 pm October 31, 2018 Permalink

That’s not a dream. That’s a fantasy. I’ll settle for a UK one point win.

7. N-UR-i
    1:43 pm October 31, 2018 Permalink

UK 17 UG 16

8. ScottGreene22
    2:13 pm October 31, 2018 Permalink

31-17 CATS. We will be up 24-17 late in the game and the Defense seals the W with a strip fumble TD. Book it!!!!

9. W1ldCats4Life
    5:49 pm October 31, 2018 Permalink

Up know, everyone said UK had no shot to do anything when MSU came to town. And we witnessed the Cats throttle MSU in all phases. 3 TD whipping. At least for this season, I’ll not say this team cannot do something. Even on an ugly day, they pull out a win. Good teams find ways to win.

10. notFromhere
    10:12 pm October 31, 2018 Permalink

I’d rather play Bama in the SEC championship with them being an undefeated team. Better for our Wildcats.

Sure hope they do what they are capable of, and beat Georgia Saturday.