Rashad Cunningham ruled academically ineligible

UK Football Fan Day

Nick mentioned this in his recap from practice but it deserves its own post, because it’s bad. Mark Stoops announced today that wide receiver Rashad Cunningham is academically ineligible for the upcoming season. After being one of the surprises of the spring, Cunningham couldn’t make the grade and will sit out all of 2013.

In a position that was already too thin, UK loses a guy expected to contribute, opening the door for more playing time from the incoming crop of receivers.

Ugh.

Article written by Drew Franklin

18 Comments for Rashad Cunningham ruled academically ineligible

1. epps2shep
    2:47 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

so tired of hearing this. does this stem from not getting stuff done under Joker’s watch or Stoops’? not trying to blame anyone, just curious.

2. PAK
    2:49 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

I agree 1. He looked pretty good during the spring game – really thought he could have had a break out year.

3. What?
    2:53 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

Sandy Bell was too busy with the twins

4. Meh
    2:54 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

I agree with número UNO as well.

I know we can’t do their classwork for them, like North Carolina, but it seems like we could dedicate more resources to ensure all of our athletes are keeping up academically.

5. @3
    2:55 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

@3 Then we ought to hire two or three more sandy bells…

6. mark
    2:57 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

Does anybody know what time the UK-Florida game is?

7. jason
    2:59 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

This guy must be dumb. I mean college is easy especially for an athlete.

8. RICK
    2:59 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

Here it comes. People hurt, can’t make grades, why not just cheat like everybody else. Just down the road for example.

9. Harrison Twins
    3:00 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

We will not be eligible.

10. UNCsucks
    3:01 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

He should have enrolled in African-American studies to stay eligible

11. Al/in/Indy
    3:14 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

9) Not that long ago I remember hearing about an influx of Uvel’s failing subjects left and right. One course was tying your shoes 101…..And they were using Velcro at the time.
    But I can understand why you’re scared.

12. Rashad Cunningham
    3:18 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

Thanks for reporting it out to the world Drew. No I’mo bust yo a**

13. Rich Madky
    6:11 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

He was NOT expected to contribute. He hasn’t been mentioned by any coach a single time all spring with one exception…Tommy Mainord was asked about him specifically & replied that his Spring Game performance came out of nowhere and was an aberration. He has never been listed on a depth chart since practice started.

14. Kentkyfan1
    7:40 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

There is absolutely no reason for players to be ineligible. Having worked in the CATS tutoring center during my time at UK the amount of resources at these kids disposal is unreal!

15. Blue To The Bone..
    7:57 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

KYF1…Agree totally …When are these kids going to wake up and realize that you need more than athletic skills to get to and stay in college..

16. duh
    8:29 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

How dumb is he???? Honestly, college is not that difficult…especially for athletes with all their tutors, easy class schedules etc. This is embarrassing and will hurt the team this season. Maybe we could pull an old UNC trick and declare him eligible.

17. KevinM
    8:28 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

Well, he’s still a kid, and mistakes will happen.

Its a shame though to think that with today’s approach to keeping kids eligible, Cunningham wasn’t able to keep up.

He may get lost in the shuffle after this; he has a long road before getting a 2nd chance.
    Will Stoops be patient to let him work out his deficiencies?

18. Tampa Satchel
    12:25 pm August 24, 2013 Permalink

I went to about half my classes my freshman year as a business major and “earned” a 2.5 and 2.75 GPA in some pretty challenging classes. After I wised up I graduated Magna Cum Laude and I attribute that to just not missing any classes and doing the assigned work. Effort controls result in school as there are very few variables that negatively affect result. Kids got ot grow up when they earn a scholarship. It’s not unlike a job.