– The best sign from the first day of practice was the chatter on the defensive side of the ball. Many are worried about the play at linebacker, but Stoops’ was impressed with their communication, giving credit to their extra work with film in the offseason.
– Speaking of putting in offseason work, these guys look a LOT better. CJ Johnson and Matt Elam stick out immediately. I wasn’t sure how Elam would fare against the big boys, but Stoops said that Elam was a standout performer today. They didn’t wear full pads, but that’s a great sign to see.
– Ryan Flannigan just got to campus last Friday, but he’s ready to go. Stoops and Eliot acknowledged that he has a long way to go, but Flannigan repeated over and over, “I’m staying in coach’s pocket.”
– TreVaughn Paschal is another candidate to start at MLB. Paschal played a lot at the WLB last season before injuries kept him out through the Spring. He was anxious leading up to today, but it felt great to get back on the field.
– Stoops’ eyes went wide when discussing a dropped interception, a point of emphasis this year for the Cats D. Despite the missed opportunity, Stoops’ is encouraged by the play of JUCO transfer AJ Stamps.
If you want more, head over to WLAP where I’m talking turkey with Tom Leach and Lee K. Howard.