Quick Hitters from Football Practice

Blake Bone has really surprised Neal Brown (Matt McCarty/Cats Pause)

Blake Bone has really surprised Neal Brown (Matt McCarty/Cats Pause)

Blake Bone’s early playmaking ability has really surprised Neal Brown, who initially thought he might need a redshirt freshman year.   (Matt McCarty/Cats Pause)

Today was an offensive day in the media rounds.  They weren’t as good as they were in Wednesday’s scrimmage, but that might be difficult to top.  Neal Brown described the tempo Wednesday as, “the best we’ve had since I’ve been here.”

Wednesday was a big “moving day” for the depth chart, noting the play of WR Rashad Cunningham, WR Blake Bone and RB Boom Williams.  Saturday’s scrimmage in Commonwealth Stadium might be the most important day of Fall Camp so far.   “It’s 15 days out.  It’s starting to get real,” Brown said.

I’ll be back with more after the game. #Catsby90

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

39 Comments for Quick Hitters from Football Practice

1. ThatCrackerBZ
    12:31 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

GEEZ GUYS WHY AREN’T YOU TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!

2. clancyhat
    12:36 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

Want more football – NEED more football

3. UKfan
    12:38 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

Can’t wait until the first game. I am pumped. Season ticket holder right behind the players. Lets Go Cats.

• UKfan
      3:53 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

No, but I do know the guy who is too idiotic too see that (1) starter in the spring game will more than likely be the starter in the fall and (2) from what has already been reported in spring practice who is really the starter. Its called logical thinking; you should try it sometime.

4. Andy
    12:45 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

ok so who is the QB now? We have 15 days remaining.

• UKfan
      12:54 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

The great practice will had on Wednesday was lead by Patrick Towles. Does that help answer your question?

• Andy
      1:13 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

Until it comes from the coaches mouth, I don’t believe my question will be answered. What was thrown at all of them to determine Towles is the starter. I heard Reese got a lot of snaps too. This whole thing is shrouded in mystery.

• UKfan
      3:01 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

You will have your ? answered soon enough. Don’t be surprised by what I told you.

• Don't Be That Guy
      3:14 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

You know the one. The guy who takes his 33% shot at guessing the starter in hopes that he can act like he has some inside scoop not available to the rest of the fan base. Seriously. It’s beyond being a tired act. If I want “insider” info I’ll swing by the barber shop where those who claim to have it walk in by the dozen. Did I mention it’s enough with the “I got inside info you don’t” bit?

• UKfan
      4:02 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

You know the guy…the one who is too ignorant to understand the concept of probabilistic reasoning that sees the world in terms of black and white..the one who thinks that the world is flat and the moon missions don’t exist. Yeah, I’m talking to you.

• You Know The Guy...
      7:04 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

who claims to be schooled in probabilistic reasoning but reaches absurd conclusions about a poster based on one comment. Yeah that guy. I think I’ll go ahead and wait for the coaches to make an announcement just the same. Meanwhile I’m going to spend my time disproving the moon landing. Maybe run the numbers and figure out who I’m talking to.

• Andy you know the guy idiot
      10:48 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

DUH. I ask reetoric qeetons hoppin sumone wil giv me tha anser. I so smert.

5. Finally
    12:54 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

Football talk instead of all the basketball stuff about the team playing a church league game against old fat Puerto Ricans.

6. SEC Laughing Stock
    12:58 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

Now KSR must follow up this brief football update with 10 stupid ass posts about the basketball team fishing in the Bahamas. For the rest of the SEC and America, IT IS FOOTBALL SEASON. I swear I am so embarrassed of this fan base sometimes.

• Take a Chill Pill
      2:17 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

You need to relax. We have always been and always will be a basketball school. Most fans want to know what the guys are up to do there on and off the court. We have possibly one of the greatest teams we have ever assembled before so naturally people are going to be excited about them. It may be football season but any time the basketball cats are playing it’s going to trump football. If you’re embarrassed of the fan base maybe you should find another team to cheer for.

• SEC Laughing Stock
      3:17 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

As if I needed it, thanks for proving my point. What a bunch of effing goons. The only thing you’re right about is that I do need to find another team for which to cheer. It would alleviate having to put up with backwards ass dipshits like yourself. You honestly believe that 6 exhibition games in the middle of effing August in the Bahamas trumps football. That is why this school is the laughing stock of the SEC – people like you. Don’t believe me? Read any blog or non UK message board. We are a joke.

• ThatCrackerBZ
      3:29 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

laughing stock of the SEC? The winningnest basketball program in HISTORY? Laughing Stock?

• ThatCrackerBZ
      3:30 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

The basketball team is PLAYING. The football team is PRACTICING. Get the “eff” over it.

• SEC Laughing Stock
      3:42 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

By all means, please show me in the NCAA record book where the result of these games the basketball team is PLAYING will be. Tell me how it affects their record and consideration for tournament play. And yes, we are the SEC laughing stock because no one else in the SEC gives a crap about basketball – hell no one else in the country cares about exhibition games in August – and we are laughed at on pretty much every media outlet for it. Thanks for your contributions to stupid.

• Every Media Outlet?
      7:08 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

There are plenty of media outlets talking about the games but it happens to be coverage of the games. A bunch of online posters does not a media outlet make. I’m a football first Cats fan myself but that doesn’t mean I let a comment from a guy in Buttfrick, Alabama hurt my feelings. Why would you?

7. Duuuuuude
    1:18 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

Bone is brimming with self confidence which is what you need to be a star wide receiver.

8. kyle heavy
    1:39 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

9. the old coach
    1:53 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

Offense is good, ya got to have some offense. We get daily news about the offense, the WR, who will be the QB, etc., but let me leave all of BBN with this thought… “if they don’t score, WE CAN’T LOSE! We can have the best offensive team in the country but if we give up more than we score…and lose 48-42 or 39-35 or 55-49, that’s a loss. But we can WIN with 3-0!! If we can not keep these other teams from scoring it make no difference who plays QB or TE or WR or RB. We MUST make sure we can play some serious defense if we are going to win the big ones!

• UKfan
      2:58 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

I hope you understand what time of position means and how that factors into your equation.

• Andy
      4:31 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

You guys take it easy on UKfan. He’s not doing to bad understanding and responding considering his 8th birthday isn’t until next month.

• gobgblu37
      6:18 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

Stoops ain’t Mumme, he gives a shitz about the defense and will prove it this year!

• Andy you know the guy idiot
      10:49 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

duh. I so smert

10. Tej
    2:13 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

More football news please.

11. Bill
    2:25 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

I saw an interview with Saban this week and Alabama hasn’t settled on a starting QB yet. He talked about … are you ready … consistent play and making the routine plays work, consistently. We need an offense that can move the chains enough to rest our defense. Three and out will take down any defense by the 4th quarter. Mental errors by the QB will do the same thing. I’m going to go with Stoops and Brown on this one. The biggest game we have is the first one. The next biggest game is the one after the first game, and so it goes.

12. RandyB
    5:26 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

Any way I can sneak into Saturday’s scrimmage?

13. Tom
    5:57 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

I feel a lot better knowing that Alabama hasn’t named their quarterback.
    Wonder if we need to send one of our four down to help them out?
    Heck, we may have starters at two schools if that happened.
    They seems to struggle every year don’t they?

14. Stoops troops
    7:21 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

More. Football. Coverage. Please! I’m as excited about basketball as the next guy and I hope we go 40-0 and crush every team by at least 50pts…. But this post is embarrassing, seriously my 2nd grade daughter could have written more. I honestly couldn’t care less what player can hold their breath the longest or what flavor shake daggum Roy drinks. PATHETIC!

15. Football addicted
    7:56 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

Okay. Enough with Basketball! I’ve had enough ‘”vacation slides.” Spend as much time
    Finding and digging into some football. PLZ!

Coverage like this is pitiful AND continues to perpetuate the KY is only a B’ball school.

Ignore the football fans at your peril as a media source! We will go elsewhere and listen elsewhere to get our fix if you can’t produce better than this!

16. football school
    10:50 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

Yes, more about the football team would be good. Matt, you say no one calls in to your show when you talk football, maybe you should find a replacement host who knows what they’re talking about and can report interesting information about football players and the nuances of the game to get the fan base more interested. Of course, winning always helps the fan base get interested, too. Go CATS

17. football school
    10:59 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

Hey, Duncan. Nice follow up post… Oh yeah, there’s not one.

• football school
      11:00 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

Or Nick, whoever

18. football school
    11:08 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

Hey, Matt, I’ll take $70,000 before taxes & a $7,000 after tax annual bonus to write the football posts for your blog site. That’s a bargain compared to how many hits I could bring in for you. I’ll get the BBN so slobbering for football that you’d think they’re giving out free beer & hot wings inside Commonwealth Stadium.

• football school