Many people are saying that Will Levis will likely be Kentucky’s starting quarterback in 2021.
Ryan Lemond shared scoop Monday morning on KSR that he’s preparing for the Penn State transfer to become QB1 at Kentucky. It echoes the sentiment shared by this author’s sources. Matt Jones also heard something similar, independent from information gathered by Ryan and I.
“If I were a betting man, I would take a large sum and bet it on Will Levis starting game one for Kentucky,” Jones said.
Last week Matt handicapped the quarterback competition by giving Levis a 65% chance at starting, followed by Joey Gatewood at 25%, leaving Beau Allen at 10%. Why such an abrupt change of heart without a practice? Let me explain.
When Levis announced his intent to transfer to Kentucky, it was clear that he was Liam Coen’s hand-picked choice to be the Cats’ signal-caller. Despite that fact, folks around the program were hesitant to crown a player that had yet to step foot on campus, giving Gatewood and Allen the ability to show their stuff in spring practice.
Through the 15 spring practices, each player showed signs of improvement. The coaching staff is not writing off Allen by any means, but he’s younger and clearly needs time for his body to develop and mature. Gatewood has the physical tools and immediately took to the coaching, drawing exceptional reviews from Mark Stoops and his staff. Gatewood’s progress led some of those covering the UK beat to believe he could have done enough to convince Coen during preseason camp that he could be the guy. That sentiment has changed since Levis arrived on campus, with most preseason publications penciling the Penn State transfer in as the starter.
When training camp begins in August, Kentucky’s coaches will declare it an open competition. Reps will be split and each will get the chance to prove they can be “the guy.” An official announcement will probably not happen until the Monday before Kentucky opens the season again Louisiana-Monroe. Less than two months away from kickoff KSR expects Will Levis to be the starting quarterback.