Skip to content

Kentucky Sports Radio

University of Kentucky Basketball, Football, and Recruiting news brought to you in the most ridiculous manner possible.

Plot Twist: Source says Jones was taking up for Elam in altercation with fans

There’s lots of talk today about the video of Jordan Jones spitting toward Southern Miss fans and whether or not he should be punished for his sideline antics. UK has since released a statement saying Jones’ punishment was handled internally, but the discussion continues with a division within the fan base as to the severity of the situation.

Fan video shows Jordan Jones spitting at Southern Miss crowd (Updated)

Now we have some new insight into why Jones was going after the fans, and it may sway your opinion of his actions.

According to a source who would definitely know, Jones was defending his teammate, Matt Elam, who had been on the receiving end of the crowd’s heckling since the moment he stepped on the field. We’re told the crowd was all over Elam and Jones had finally had enough.

If true, I’m all for it. Did he cross the line? Yeah, probably. Should he have kept his attention and energy between the lines? Sure. But now that we know he was taking up for one of his own, I can get behind it. That’s the leadership and attitude UK needs from him. But maybe don’t make it a habit.

Article written by Drew Franklin

I can recite every line from Forrest Gump, blindfolded. Follow me on Twitter: @DrewFranklinKSR

32 Comments for Plot Twist: Source says Jones was taking up for Elam in altercation with fans



  1. GoBigBlu
    11:23 am September 8, 2017 Permalink

    Should have been suspended….we are UK, not ul



    • Booby Petrino
      11:43 am September 8, 2017 Permalink

      suspended for spitting into the air, and not spitting on a person? are you insane?



    • GoBigBlu
      11:56 am September 8, 2017 Permalink

      Go back and look at the video…he spit UP in the air and toward someone. Look at his teammates watching it too and people verbally reacting. Granted I couldn’t see how far away he was or couldn’t see where it went but not a good look from what I saw.



    • GoBigBlu
      11:57 am September 8, 2017 Permalink

      And no I’m not insane, just classy.



    • BBNDan7
      1:15 pm September 8, 2017 Permalink

      No you’re insane



    • TBW3011
      12:26 pm September 8, 2017 Permalink

      Dumb. Was never a chance of a suspension, nor should there have been. Spit in someone’s face? Ok. Sit a half. Into thin air? Suspension would be laughable.



    • GoBigBlu
      12:45 pm September 8, 2017 Permalink

      There’s a school about an hour west I think you guys would feel right at home.



    • BBNDan7
      1:14 pm September 8, 2017 Permalink

      I think you are the only one who actually thinks this would warrant a suspension. Maybe you should go somewhere else



    • GoBigBlu
      12:50 pm September 8, 2017 Permalink

      I bet you have turned over tobacco spit cups all over your house….I just get that vibe.



    • Booby Petrino
      1:31 pm September 8, 2017 Permalink

      I saw it, just as you, and I still think you’re blowing things way out of proportion. He didn’t spit on someone. He was mad because his teammate was being disrespected, so he spit in the air. Not even close to warranting a suspension. Your overreaction doesn’t mean you’re classy, it’s just an example of the world we live in now being offended by anything and everything. At least you get a participation trophy for your comment…I’m sure you’re enjoying those vibes over there.



  2. UK1983
    11:27 am September 8, 2017 Permalink

    South Alabama rednecks are a special breed of stupid. Good for Jones.



    • RealCatsFan
      2:47 pm September 8, 2017 Permalink

      Well, these were actually south Mississippi rednecks, but we get the idea…



  3. Ollie
    11:29 am September 8, 2017 Permalink

    He spit towards the fan, not on the fan. Big difference.
    He doesn’t need to be suspended, he needs to ignore the fans and just play.
    I would have him do some extra running. Not a story.



  4. Bluebloodtoo
    11:34 am September 8, 2017 Permalink

    While I completely understand the intent and love the idea of him protecting his teammate, I would suggest that the players ignore the opposing fans to the best of their ability. That’s just not something you want to engage with going forward in your career at the next level. Might as well get used to it now.



    • TBW3011
      12:27 pm September 8, 2017 Permalink

      Agree. Still not suspension worthy.



  5. BlueGrass
    11:41 am September 8, 2017 Permalink

    This is the kind of complete non-story the media creates (or in this day and age people on social media) to give us something to talk about. So…

    Talk about it, debate it, whatever…

    No suspension, no internal punishment, no worries.



    • Booby Petrino
      11:44 am September 8, 2017 Permalink

      oh my gawd, a football player spit! how offensive! agree with your point.



    • GoBigBlu
      12:01 pm September 8, 2017 Permalink

      Big difference between spitting on the field and spitting AT or TOWARD someone.



    • TBW3011
      12:28 pm September 8, 2017 Permalink

      90% chance the last thing you played was tee ball. You don’t suspend a guy nearly 10% of a season for for making a tiny mistake in the heat of the moment.



    • GoBigBlu
      12:48 pm September 8, 2017 Permalink

      1s of all, perfect game to send a message…suspend against eastern. And 2nd (and more important) I will guarantee I have more football knowledge in my pinky than you do in your little, compromised brain.



    • J-Dub421
      12:37 pm September 8, 2017 Permalink

      The obnoxious fans should have been removed. Their crappy behavior started the whole thing and no one deserves to stand there listening to verbal abuse for hours. I am tired of bad behavior by fans being excused. Learn how to comport yourself in public.



    • Booby Petrino
      1:34 pm September 8, 2017 Permalink

      GoBigBlu, I thought you were classy? Classy people don’t tell people they have a little, compromised brain. Go figure, you’re just another keyboard warrior who thinks you’re better than others.



  6. secrick
    11:44 am September 8, 2017 Permalink

    I’m sure Stoops has taken care of this , like OLLIE says extra running or something like that. Gosh we must need something to talk about awfully bad.



  7. sj
    11:45 am September 8, 2017 Permalink

    This is NOT news!!!



  8. Jayy
    12:51 pm September 8, 2017 Permalink

    This might sound bad, but I would rather him jerk that fan out of the stands and rough him up a little bit instead of spitting at him.



    • Le Docteur
      1:03 pm September 8, 2017 Permalink

      LOL! You’re right, that DOES sound bad!



    • dgtuk
      1:58 pm September 8, 2017 Permalink

      Yeah great idea Jayy! (dripping with sarcasm) 🙂



    • randyt
      7:06 pm September 8, 2017 Permalink

      Fodder for EKU. They will taunt Jones unmercifully.



  9. maximumscott
    2:13 pm September 8, 2017 Permalink

    Meanwhile Saban lets a guy play who had a DUI…



  10. DennyC
    6:02 pm September 8, 2017 Permalink

    Shooting the bird and SPITTING Towards fans is LOW CLASS! Period. One game suspension. Like that would have been a BIg DEAL, My gosh, It would have been against this laugher game against Division ll E.KY. Pitiful showing by a UK player. GROW UP SON!!! . . . P-I-T-I-F-U-L! . . . . smh . . .



    • BBNDan7
      7:23 pm September 8, 2017 Permalink

      We almost lost this game before so let’s not call it a laughter yet. We aren’t Bama