Pete Thamel and Thayer Evans working on a piece about Bobby Petrino

Petrino

Sports Illustrated’s snoops sisters Pete Thamel and Thayer Evans are teaming up for a piece on Louisville head coach Bobby Petrino for SI’s College Football Preview issue, and released a preview of it online today, which suggests that there is some unrest in Cardinal Land even though “daddy’s back”:

Bobby Petrino says he’s changed. But in reporting a story about the new Louisville coach that is in SI’s college football preview, it appears Petrino is still just as difficult to work and play for. Sources with ties to the Cardinals’ football program and Petrino said there’s significant friction between Petrino and feisty defensive coordinator Todd Grantham. The two have repeatedly feuded often since Grantham’s hiring in January.

There’s also still lingering dissension among players about Petrino’s arrival. Some were so unhappy with Petrino’s frigid, explicit demeanor that they considered leaving early for the NFL’s supplemental draft in June according to one source.

Read the complete blurb over on SI.com. I hate both Thamel and Evans, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little intrigued by the story.

[SI.com]

43 Comments for Pete Thamel and Thayer Evans working on a piece about Bobby Petrino

1. Howie Lindsey
    5:02 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

I used to be a big fan of Evans and Thammel’s work. THey always wrote truthful pieces with cold hard facts. However, this is just a punch of made up BS. Bobby is a changed man. By God he caddies for his daughter. What more could the man do? He let’s me pinch his nipples each and every day and he says he loves it. What a piece of unprofessional crap by Evans and Thammel. I expect better from guys that are usually spot on in their work. I am on my way to the Jurich household now to console Tom. I am sure he is upset over this. I will massage his shoulder for hours and we will take a long walk this evening at dusk while holding hands. We may even ride a tandum bike.

• JBCat
      9:10 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

Kudos sir

2. Dude
    5:08 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

Just sit back and watch this slow, inevitable train-wreck take shape. It’ll be fun watching and listening to the Card fan meltdowns…

(If what Thamel/Thayer are reporting holds any weight. They are bullshit artists.)

• Um
      5:56 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

You kinda sound like a Card fan referring to Cal….

• Dude
      6:14 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

Nothing gets by you!

3. The Loco Pollo
    5:08 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

You’re welcome.

4. arlo
    5:09 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

i wonder how many milly-uns of regrets he’s had for appearing in public in that neck brace and all that pavement rash. i never get tired of laughing at that photo. tards are so funny.

5. Wow
    5:09 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

Thamel and Thayer – a lisps worst nightmare!

6. Union Farmer
    5:09 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

Even though this piece is about our arch rival, I think it’s almost hypocritical to be intrigued by anything Thamel writes. We give them no credence when they crush Kentucky or try to dig up dirt on Eric Bledsoe and John Calipari. Therefore, we can’t just flip and be their little cheerleaders when they are trashing Louisville. Let’s be consistent BBN. We’re better than that.

7. Unions Suck
    5:16 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

What part of ” I hate both Thamel and Evans, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little intrigued by the story.” did you not understand?

8. Union Farmer
    5:21 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

I understand it completely. I don’t think you do. She said she hated Thamel but she ADMITTED TO BEING INTRIGUED. That means she’s going to be interested in the dirt they spew on Louisville. Would she be intrigued if the story was about UK? The answer is unequivocally no. She would be pissed off. Facts are facts buddy.

• Gooooo Cats!
      5:40 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

I don’t see any cheerleading going on at all. Thompson basically says she has zero respect for the writers but is “intrigued” by the article. That’s merely an admission of her own hypocrisy on the subject and can hardly be described as cheerleading. In fact, it might better be described as the opposite of cheerleading whatever that might be.

• Unions Suck
      5:45 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

Okay, that made zero sense. I AND ANY UK FAN would be “intrigued” if they wrote a story on UK.

That’s a fact. Buddy.

• Huh?
      6:50 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

Speaking of making zero sense. Pal.

• What?
      6:56 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

Please form a complete sentence. Chief.

9. Auntie Em Effer
    5:26 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

Yes, Easy Rider is still a piece of work. You can’t teach an old dog new tricks, despite his master, Jurich, spinning things on his behalf.

10. Irwin R. Fletcher
    5:27 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

From the blurb, the only “dirt” they have uncovered seems to be that Petrino is an a-hole. Pulitzer grade stuff, to be sure.

11. Parnell Rigsby
    5:28 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

12. UKfaninLou
    5:28 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

Slightly interesting, maybe but count me as another who will never give either of those clowns a click.

13. Just saying
    5:35 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

Wait, I thought this writer was a hack. Plus, it appears this ex uofl player was kicked off the team for multiple violations. So, not sure he is the best source for unbiased info.

• Howie Lyndsey's blow up Jurich doll *w/multiple holes*
      6:11 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

Dayyyyyum got kicked off uoflol team… So when will they give him a 22nd chance and let him rejoin?

• JBCat
      12:19 am August 19, 2014 Permalink

Card nation already going Full defense mode!

Just because Thamel and the like whiffed on a few character assassination pieces against UK and Calipari, doesn’t mean they are missing the mark on Petrino and the Cards.

Don’t let anybody fool you into thinking that the 2 things are equal in some way..

14. Anthony Davis
    5:37 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

I guess this means I really was paid to go to uk.

• Ummm
      5:47 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

I mean, it’s what you Tard fans have been preaching for so long, it must be TRUE….

15. Thamelcuse
    5:40 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

My research is as impeccable as Boeheim’s 2-3 zone.

16. Air Raid
    5:41 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

I’m no uofl fan, but if I remember correctly, Brooks got busted with Behanan for weed and was suspended most of last season.

• makes sense
      5:48 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

Oh, well, I guess that makes him incapable of telling the truth.

• jimbob
      10:03 am August 19, 2014 Permalink

remember, if kids get busted for pot they are worthless subhumans that should be treated like trash for the rest of their miserable lives.

but they should also be the most trusted source for judgements on other people (as long as it fits the narrative that we seek).

17. C. Allen
    5:53 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

I read the entire article last night; if you haven’t, do so! I don’t care who wrote it . . . . I loved every word. U of L now has the two sleaziest coaches in the country!

18. Bottom Feeder
    5:59 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

Nice little distraction from having to pay attention to your bottom feeding program. #ass of sec.

• Ha!
      6:13 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

Thanks for visiting. You sure do spend a lot of time here.

• UofLOL
      6:24 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

You still mad, bro? Angry bird!

• Bobby Petrino
      6:26 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

Did someone say bottom feeder? I’m hungry and I could use some 19yr old ass!

19. hal
    6:08 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

hahahahahahahaha……..
    hahahahahhahahahaha

20. MustangCat
    6:27 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

I work with the public in E-Town. Got a customer who’s grandson was one of the managers at WKU last year. Big UL fans. Kid said Pitrino didn’t show ANY signs of changing – in private. Still biggest jerk, unbelievable language, skirt chaser, impossible to work with. Pitinos party buddy. No, can’t confirm that one! Be gone in3-4 years either way. Win or lose. Either he leaves or they fire him. He is his own nightmare. Both just using each other. Judith is looking for another coach as we speak. The man is a band-aid, and he knows it. Marriage made in h- Ell.

21. MustangCat
    6:29 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

Cursed auto correct!
    Meant to say: marriage made in U of HELL!

22. UKBlue
    6:39 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

Yes Thamel & Evans both write a lot of BS; Petrino has got so many skeletons, it’s way past the point of being able to hide his crazy. Yes he is a good offensive coach in the game called football, but Petrino is beyond crazy in the game called life. No one makes the decisions he has made or done the things he has done without being totally haunted by demons & extremely nuts. Not surprising UL would be willing to sell their souls to take on the nightmare that is Petrino, then again UL has no soul & this move just shows UL desperation to try staying relevant. UL is so great the ACC past on them the 1st time & didn’t even want them, Turtle Neck found out Syracuse & Pitt left the Big East from a TV reporter on the sideline before the start of a game; if Maryland hadn’t left, UL still wouldn’t be in. UL was the last cleanest dirtiest shirt left to keep the ACC together. UL fans, you’re so relevant you got picked last, that’s how much people think of you.

• JBCat
      12:37 am August 19, 2014 Permalink

True story!

23. gordonm
    7:39 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

Random thoughts: Netflix, House of Cards, reality edition, Petrino story.

24. Tom
    11:23 am August 19, 2014 Permalink

I say we take this article and run with it.
    By November we can build it into a major motivator for the Cats.
    Louisville will be such a broken team with all the dissension, we should beat them easily.
    OR
    Maybe the guy is not trying to be the players’ best buddy and make men of them.
    Ever hear that Bear Bryant was an SOB while playing for him?
    I’m not saying the guy is another Bryant but he does win and since that is a low priority in Lexington maybe we can get Mr. Rogers or Peewee Herman to follow Stoops.
    Have a happy, happy day!
    Anyone send a sympathy card to the quarterbacks who weren’t named the starter?
    Get on that right now.

25. justsayn
    12:26 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

Shouldn’t trash him til you can beat him – makes you look stuuupid!

• Tampa Satchel
      5:49 pm August 20, 2014 Permalink

That’s not an unreasonable assertion.

26. kelleydog
    5:37 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

I still recall that timeout when UL was up by maybe 60 points, just to run another TD play. It’s no surprise he’s hated. Has UK ever beat a Petrino coached team? I also remember last year – how bad was that – UK the 3rd best team in the state. Bash him on paper because you sure can’t beat him on the field.