Patrick Towles takes the blame for the offense’s second half collapse

© Mark Zerof | Getty
© Mark Zerof | Getty
© Mark Zerof | Getty

You have to give it to Patrick Towles; he didn’t hesitate to shoulder the blame for Kentucky’s second half collapse. When asked what the difference was between the offense in the first half and the second, he pointed to himself.

“Me, I think. I’ve just gotta make better throws and be consistent. We hit some early, we hit a couple late, but not as much as we wanted to. They were giving us really good looks to throw the ball down the field, but I’ve got to be more consistent for sure.”

Ultimately, a win is a win, and it’s a lot better to learn from one of those than a loss. Right?

“We won. We’ll take the win, will never take those for granted. It was a good football team that’s been to four straight bowl games. We’ll move on and be ready for South Carolina.”

There you go. More coming in a bit…

12 Comments for Patrick Towles takes the blame for the offense’s second half collapse

1. CigarMan
    12:22 am September 6, 2015 Permalink

He should take the blame, he was almost terrible! My question is why did Stoops leave him in the game? I’d love to hear an explanation. We do have a backup quarterback, don;t we????

2. BBN1977
    12:45 am September 6, 2015 Permalink

Towles deserves to take the blame. He was absolutely ridiculous tonight. If it wasn’t for the bad defense in the first half, this guy would have barely made those air raids. He thinks he is a legitimate SEC QB but in all honesty he is one of he biggest wannabes I have seen. Without these RB and WR’s tonight he wouldn’t of had anything.

3. seriously
    1:03 am September 6, 2015 Permalink

Patrick is horrible. n im a real uk fan. no troll here. But i knew from day one that towles is not a star qb.. They’re gna ride Towles til he leaves. Now they said here not to long ago that Drew Barker was coming along n giving towles a push in this so called qb competition in practice. Towles has been the guy from day one n will remain.. This is what everybody wanted Towles to be the starter. Even after they got Barker n co. Not saying Barker shoulda started. im saying that if Towles cant do anything then put barker in. The only way hes gonna learn quick n get use to gameplay, is if they put him in the game.. But Barker has been on bench all this time.. n there have been so many fans trash talk him for the horrible incidents. plz. Now we will seee what happens if barker plays none this yr. Hes gonna transfer… Oh well fans wanted him gone. no way if i was him i would sit the bench for two more yrs n watch Towles stink it up.. To me Towles shouldntve had to take the blame tonight.. He shoulda been ready.. He had a whole season last yr. n hes had this whole offseason. He gonna go out n play like that??? lafyette? cmon man!!

4. jayiron11
    1:42 am September 6, 2015 Permalink

Got to give it to the kid for shouldering the responsibility kf his poor play in the 2nd half. That’s leadership and professionalism.

Would have been nice to stretch the lead out so Barker could have gotten some reps. Either Patty Ice will step up in Colu.bia or Barker is going to be on his footsteps.

Listen folks, BBN Football fans have a tendancy to be negative and expect the worst. I was calling for Barker in the 4th Quarter. Towles was 6 of 16 for 36 yards in the 2nd half. That ain’t going to cut it and he knows that. Overthrew a couple of guys wide open in the 1st half. I’m sure his adrenaline was pumping. Underthrew several receicers in the 2nd, especially the INT. He is a 4th year Junior. He is now 1-5 in his last 6 games as a starter and his last half of football was poor. Hopefully the kid realizes the time is now. He has the potential to be a Star. It’s time to lay down the Harry Potter outfits and be a man. I am sure this kid works his butt off but it’s going to take more. Extra reps with the WRs and Skill Players before or after practice. If he is already doing this, then it needs to be done more. Repetition is the Mother of Perfection.

Finally, going back to the comments and the negativity from the BBN fanbase. Stoops is changing and evolving this program so we as fans need to evolve with it. Like I said, I was guilty of negativity and calling for Towles’s head in the 2nd half on the KSR Live Blog.

But Stoops realy impressed me with his post game press conference. I expected to see Angry Stoops. However the Head Coach was a cool customer. A win is a win. Stoops will fix the mistakes on the film room and on the field this week. I believe we are still a year away from becoming a top tier team in the SEC East and few mkre recruiting classes from being elite. As fans, let’s try to be positive and follow the lead Coach Stoops and our starting QB displayed after the game. GO BIG BLUE!

5. cig107
    2:53 am September 6, 2015 Permalink

I’m loving some of the people above losing their minds over Patrick Towles. Especially #2. “without these wrs and rbs he wouldnt have had anything”…seriously?! Without RBs and WRs, no QB would have anything, LOL! He made the throws to them, and thankfully for us, all but one was accurate.

Actually blame him for what he should be blamed for. His total accuracy dump in the 2nd half. That’s what hurt us. Last I checked, he threw the 2 passes that were TDs in the first half to give us the lead. I hope Barker does get a shot soon, just a few snaps here or there, but when Towles gives us some great games that he’s more than capable of against better competition, you’ll be reminded.

Towles is no world-beater, but before replacing him, let’s take it a bit further than the first game, a win by the way. good deal? Maybe he’ll come through with consistency he’s shown before. Replacing our starter is a big deal, and DB is no guarantee. Though if Towles’ inconsistency earns Barker some snaps I believe he’ll do too well to take off the field.

• DylanG
      7:20 pm September 6, 2015 Permalink

Half the people posting on this are UL fans…

1-0 > 0-1

6. cig107
    3:01 am September 6, 2015 Permalink

Glad Towles took responsibility for his struggles. I expected he would. Still, he’s going to have to earn my faith back.

Was looking over past records today and saw that we lost there to that good 13′ SC team 35-27 on the last trip down there…Can’t remember if it was actually that close. We should be able to do a lot of the same things we did in the last battle if we get consistency at QB. I watched the SC-UNC replay and unless Towles doesn’t throw directly to the Carolina D like the UNC QB did, I don’t expect anything crazy from them. They’re going to run on us quite a bit IMO though, that’s inevitable.

7. Paul in Fern Creek
    8:07 am September 6, 2015 Permalink

From watching on TV, noticed PattyIce was always squinting at the sidelines. Pretty sure I’ve seen him wearing glasses, Any chance he wasn’t wearing his contacts (like the Harrison twins)?

8. Deez Cats
    9:50 am September 6, 2015 Permalink

The Cajuns never let go of the rope.

9. UKScotty
    12:16 pm September 6, 2015 Permalink

Folks, I think Patrick is good kid…but he very simply doesnt throw an SEC ball….does not follow his progressions…no check downs….deep ball is barely serviceable and his seam and flat passes are horrid..Gotta bet Barker out there and see what happens.

10. Radmankd
    2:04 pm September 6, 2015 Permalink

Oh, come on. What’d you expect Towels to say? 62,000 saw he was the problem. His comments shows he’s a great leader?
    Bottom line, he’s just a decent QB. Last night’s game is more his usual, and last year’s Florida game being the exception. Watch a replay without your blue glasses, and you see most of his throws for the entire game were off. He could not lead receivers, under throwing them, making them slow down and wait wait for the ball, thus losing their separation. His worst was second half int. Badet was wide open behind the DB with a sure TD, but so poorly thrown it turned into Int.
    Watched Towles stare down receivers all night long.Everybody knows where the ball is going. Again, just the same old same old. I saw no sign of improvement in his game day performance. He won the job in practice. He has to perform well on game day to maintain his spot.
    Stoops says he wants us all in. Please apply that to the entire team. If you’re having an off day, next man up. You bring in a reliever when your star starting pitcher doesn’t have his stuff on a particular outing. Let’s use our entire team in our team effort.

11. MoJo
    10:08 am September 7, 2015 Permalink

Some of the comments on this board are ridiculously harsh. It seems to be a combination of Drew Barker fans and U of L trolls. I watched the game. I saw many, many passes that Towles made that were NFL-type throws. We haven’t had a QB with his arm strength since Jared Lorenzen. Yes, he missed some passes that should have been touchdowns, but the reality is that Towles spotted the open guy and threw it to the right receiver, which is something that many QBs don’t do. For Pete’s Sake this was the first game of the season and Towles is working under a completely different offensive coordinator. Also, my gut is that UL-Lafayette is an above-average team, not a patsy. BTW, I think I’d be more concerned about our defense than Towles.