Patrick Towles says Shannon Dawson was the sacrificial lamb to team’s woes

(Photo: Darrell Bird, 247Sports)

(Photo: Darrell Bird, 247Sports)

(Photo: Darrell Bird, 247Sports)

In case you missed it earlier, former Kentucky quarterback Patrick Towles tweeted some cryptic emojis about Shannon Dawson’s exit:

After much, much speculation, Towles confirmed to Kyle Tucker that he meant Dawson was the sacrificial lamb to the team’s problems, an interesting twist to the saga:

Earlier today, Towles also tweeted that he believes Dawson is “one of the greatest offensive minds I’ve ever been around,” and “would love to sit in the same meeting room with him again.” (Depending on where Dawson ends up, that could be a possibility.) Towles also responded to a Twitter exchange with former UK player Martavius Neloms:

While there is still no official word from UK on Dawson’s firing, Dawson himself confirmed the report to Fox Sports, citing philosophical differences between him and Mark Stoops. “Philosophically, Dawson and head coach Mark Stoops were not on the same page with how they wanted the offense run,” Bruce Feldman wrote.

There’s long been talk about the locker room divide, and the news that Dawson is out may have brought it to the forefront. In general, backup wide receivers (Blake Bone, Alex Montgomery) seem pleased with the news, although they may find out soon that just because there’s a new coordinator in town doesn’t mean they’ll automatically start; however, Towles’ tweets and Dawson’s comments about not being on the same page as Stoops may be the real issue. Was the real divide in the locker room between Stoops and Dawson?

68 Comments for Patrick Towles says Shannon Dawson was the sacrificial lamb to team’s woes

1. Booby Petrino
    1:27 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Seems like players who are staying are happy about it, and the one who ran away thinks he wasn’t the real problem. I’ll take the opinion of players who didn’t run away with their tail between their legs over the one who was afraid he couldn’t compete with Barker.

• J-Dub421
      1:52 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Towles didn’t run away. He was told they were going to start Barker next year. Stoops pretty much confirmed that on KSR yesterday. Why would Towles waste his last year of eligibility sitting the bench?? From what I saw in the U of L game Barker is not better than Towles.

• Booby Petrino
      2:09 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

I’m not saying Barker is better. But if you are the better player, you win the job. They can tell Towles they will start Barker next year, but if Towles is the better player in practice I would think he can win the job. But if you know you can’t win it, you go elsewhere.

• J-Dub421
      2:15 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Towles was the better player in practice all season long according to everyone. Where did that get him?

• D0nc0smic
      2:42 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

It got him chance after chance in which he repeatably failed.

• J-Dub421
      3:02 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

What in the Louisville game makes you think that Barker is any better??? Barker made bad decisions, the offence completely stagnated (in the second half especially), he held the ball too long and took sacks (which is one area where Towles improved later in the season), and he was less effective rushing than Towles.

• J-Dub421
      3:02 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

*offense

• Bluecreeker
      3:37 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

@J-Dub – Are we really going to trash a red shirt Freshman that was thrown into that wet mess? I mean really? I never saw much about Towels on the field that left me thinking he was a SEC caliber QB.
      too many holds for sacks
      too much indecision
      too many interceptions thrown into double and triple coverage’s
      too little short throw accuracy

But his hair was perfect……….GAHOOOOO!

• J-Dub421
      3:50 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Bluecreeker – everything you just listed as a complaint about Towles, Barker does the exact same sh*t. Did 6-22 passing in the Louisville game impress you?? Unlike Towles, Barker doesn’t have receivers sand-bagging and deliberately not catching passes. Go listen to the last football podcast if you don’t believe me.

• tippytoe
      3:58 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

If I were Bone and Montgomery, I would be happy, too. Imagine not getting thrown the ball and being one of the few who can actually catch the ball.

• Bluecreeker
      5:00 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

@J-Dub – Yes, and Barker is a Freshman, Towels was a red shirt Sr who has worked with Pro developers over the off season. I am not saying Barker is the next Peyton Manning, but to say he isn’t based upon what we have seen so far is ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous.
      You seem to think Towles was gong to have some huge upside we haven’t seen and I disagree. I think we saw what he had to offer, and it is time to move on.
      I will not make a judgement on Barker, other than to say he was heavily recruited by out of State schools and he decided to stay home and try to make something of UK. Therefore I will not jump ship on him until he has been given some time, some rep, and the opportunity to prove himself. I kinda have the same philosophy with Stoops……I for one am glad he’s here. I will not make a judgement on him because he took over a joke(er) of a program.

• J-Dub421
      5:31 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

@Bluecreeker – So, you’re just going to ignore that Towles was sabotaged by some of our receivers?

Also I want to like Barker. I hope he turns out to be the player we all want him to be. I simply find it hypocritical when people complain about Towles doing (or not doing) certain things, then ignoring when Barker has those EXACT same flaws.

You say you want Barker to have the opportunity to prove himself. He had it all season long in practice. He did not earn the starting job, but it’s being given to him anyway.

• Bluecreeker
      5:47 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

@J-Dub – Okay…..let’s put our 3D thinking cap on here.
      1st of all Barker IS the QB of UK’s future, however he had some unfortunate off season extra curricular activities which placed him way down on the depth chart.
      2nd – Towels had more reps and conventional wisdom says you play your experience.

So I have said a few things here, one of which is; if your going to lose anyway, then play the future. The reps will be priceless to these kids moving forward.

Patrick Towels had ever opportunity and he just made bad decisions (period). Were those decisions based upon having a suspect O line, and a suspect OC…..probably.

Insofar as Towels being sabotaged by receivers….well I don’t buy into it HOWEVER, what does that have to do with being indecisive, holding the ball until your sacked, throwing into double and tripe coverage’s for interceptions, throwing as many interceptions as touchdowns.

Look I will say it. Towels is not a SEC caliber QB (period)……Barker might not be but we will have to see. My opinion is that he will be fine and the team will gel around him.

• J-Dub421
      10:16 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Agree to disagree, I guess. Thanks for having a civil argument.

2. dean winchester
    1:37 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

What a frickin mess….team turmoil. Idk why you publicly support someone and a couple weeks later let em go. His replacement better be very qualified, very skilled, and able to lead people. Maybe Stoops can do a summer camp at Gettysburg…..thats it….hire Denzel…..split veers left and right….like novacaine…sit back and watch it work. Sorry, humor is about all I have at the moment. The public dissension is embarrassing..i hope the new hire is quick.

• Keith Biggins
      2:30 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

You got your brothers on the team and your daddy. Now you know who your daddy is dont you?

• Jeremy D
      8:42 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Meeting in the Gymnasium BBN!!!

3. inside info2
    1:40 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

How can you have a disagreement about philosophy? Wouldn’t you have that ironed out before you made the hire?

• TimInOboro
      2:00 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Guessing you are not a married person. And coaching hires are made within a couple of weeks.

• inside info2
      3:25 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

I am married. Big difference about having a disagreement of philosophy after 1 year and having one after 18 years.

You do background checks on coaching hires and talk to them during interviews. Not many OCs leave a team after one year due to differences in philosophy.

• Bluecreeker
      3:44 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

I have often said this about sports teams that are rebuilding; “If you are going to lose anyway, play your future”.
      Simply stated, Towels is a great kid who didn’t really even come close to living up to his potential. Many of the new, young, and much more talented players came to UK because of Mark Stoops, and yes Drew Barker, not in spite of him. I had heard that the “turmoil” was between the older average players, and the younger players who came to UK with much higher rankings and potential.
      If I were the coach, I would have played my future. The kids I knew were going to be good in a few years, the kids who have promise, the kids who would really get a boost from the reps. As much as I like Patrick Towles he did not excel in the college game, and he will likely not have a career in the pro’s unless he hones his skill set.

4. Catsby80
    1:42 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

What is frustrating is that Dawson cited “philosophical differences” between he and Stoops. If that is the case, why was Dawson hired in the first place? Is the candidate’s philosophy not discussed in the interview process? I know there is always 2 sides to a story, but that seems bothersome. Stoops needs to find HIS guy on this hire, or else his job could be in serious jeopardy in the future.

5. Sentient Third Eye
    1:47 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

What does “philosophical differences” even mean? Is Stoops a Stoic, while Dawson is an Epicurean?

• tippytoe
      3:32 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

I think the “philosophical difference” is throwing to the same receiver (s) who cannot catch the ball. And worse, making them your number one option.

6. kyle heavy
    1:51 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Honestly, does it really matter what Patrick Towles thinks?

Career Stats:
    24 TD’s, 24 INT’s

He needs to probably worry about where he is next, and IF he can win that quarterback battle. He won’t be able to transfer the next time around. Stop making excuses. Dawson had to be let go, and I hope DJ Eliot is next.

• Billy Mays Here
      1:59 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

I think you may be on to something. You may recall, the ESPN recruiting nation scouts didn’t project Towles as a college QB when he was coming out of high school. They said his accuracy was a concern and projected him as a college Tight End; he was actually rated as an 3-star athlete, not a QB. That said, Towles is a great guy and difficult not to like. But for his career, in SEC games he did not average 1 TD pass per game, but did average 1 INT per game.

• Piedma Schwartz
      4:16 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Billy you are extremely mistaken. Towles was a 4 star QB, the 15th ranked QB in his entire class. Please don’t go throwing misinformation around like that, some sucker might believe you.

• Bluecreeker
      5:02 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

@Kyle – Thank you

@Piedma – And you as well, thanks.

7. shelby
    1:53 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

After hearing some of the ridiculous statements Dawson made to media after games, I tend to think Stoops did the right thing by letting him go–as far as Patrick is concerned it would probably be best for the team he’s leaving if he’d just shut up and keep his thoughts to himself. He’s not helping any by running his mouth about what he “thinks” the problem is/was. dawson probably preferred TOWLES to barker and stops wanted to give barker a chance–ergo Towles is a Dawson fan. As far as Dawson having a brilliant offensive mind–if so, surely we can score against Vandy when given 4 chances starting inside the 5 yard line with such a genius calling the shots.

• UK1983
      2:07 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

well said. Towles started the whole thing. might speak to the real issue.

8. Billy Mays Here
    1:55 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Like it or not, we are going to get a ball-control, ground-game based OC. A lot more two tight-end, fullback/h-back sets. We will have too many wide receivers on the roster. A lot of this makes sense now. It appears Stoops micro-manages the offense …bad news. Truthfully, the problem is the DC. We have NEVER stopped a QB that runs the football, even if not a dual-threat, they shred us. We get no sacks, tackles for loss, it’s just bad.

• Mathlete
      2:29 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

I’m great with this plan, we have a stable of high caliber running backs and at least one very talented TE. Jacob Hyde was a really good blocking fullback (I would’ve loved to see him carry the ball at the 1 yard line against Vandy, try blocking him with a head of steam!).

• Rsn2GoBlu
      2:45 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Out of that stable of RB’s, how many quality RB’s did we have for the 2nd half of the Louisville game? Playing in the SEC makes for a very long season on a players body.

• Mathlete
      2:52 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

We didn’t rotate Boom out enough, he was on the field as much as anyone not playing QB this season in any game he wasn’t injured (or benched for attitude problems). We also had a very young RB in King who will be much stronger this year, and a badly underused Kemp.

9. empiremaker
    1:55 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

If Dawson is the sacrificial lamb, then who is the real culprit? Seems like head coach himself is to blame.

10. dean winchester
    1:57 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

My 2 cents, Dawson wanted quick strike, Stoops more ball control to keep this defense without a ton of depth off the field. You had to assume going into the year oline was a strength. It wasnt. So you cant run a balanced attack when the line fails you. You quick hit. But you leave your defense out to dry. Both scenarios fail based on what we had personnel wise. vs mizzou we ran play action and oline was decent…we win. Stoops even said once we are a play action team…but i dont see Dawson as that type of.coach. Couple in losing streak….alot of young players=a house divided.

• empiremaker
      2:19 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Agreed, it was a clash of philosophies and the player talent level got exposed in this tussle. We lacked identity on both ends primarily because of this divide. Hopefully, HC has learned that he is a CEO and need people that will follow his lead. Ultimately he is the one who sets the tone and direction of the program. Initially Stoops was forced to take on OC and eventually hired wrong guy for the job. Dare I say Stoops was learning on the job and still doing so, therefore when MJ bring up game disorganization that equates to “coach you don’t know what you were doing” obviously we have heard Stoops reaction.

11. AndTheDevil
    1:58 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

2 different OCs and both don’t open up the playbook. Both, if I recall, state leaving was philosophical differences. Seems Stoops maybe the reason for not opening up the playbook. The question then becomes–Does it matter who the OC is if Stoops is the one controlling the philosophy?

• Mathlete
      2:49 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Brown’s philosophy included being promoted to HC at another school.

12. The Rest of the story
    2:06 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Who cares what a quarterback who couldn’t throw a pass to a receiver without it being behind, too low or way over his head has to say.

• The Rest of the story
      2:09 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Also if you can pry him away from WKU to be OC here I go hard for Jeff Brohm

• deltasig41
      2:13 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

The only place that gets Brohm away from WKU is major conference school in need of a head coach. He’s got a pretty sweet gig there now, and it won’t be long before he gets an opportunity to head up a major program.

• ClutchCargo
      2:26 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

If we were looking for a HC, Brohm would be right at the top of my wish list. Going to UK as OC wouldn’t even be a lateral move at this point.

• Rsn2GoBlu
      2:47 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Jeff Brohm has long left the OC train. Wishful thinking. His next move will be at a major school as a head coach.

• UK Big Board Update
      3:56 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Why would Brohm want to come here and coach under the scrutiny he’d get from the likes of you??

13. deltasig41
    2:17 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

I think Towles’ responses are pretty telling…I have no inside sources or information, but I am pretty capable at reading between the lines. It seems to me, as another poster already alluded to, that Dawson was a Towles guy, and at some point, Stoops wanted to turn the reigns over to Barker. And why not? Towles was only effective in spurts, and was too inaccurate and indecisive to sustain that level consistently. But, it seems apparent to me, the main disagreement lies with who should be the starting quarterback. And if the OC isn’t on the same page as the HC in that regard, he’s got to go.

The rumors of a locker room divide may be true. If so, hopefully this ends up being a good change.

14. deltasig41
    2:21 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

And to those saying Stoops micromanages the offense…There are VERY few programs in the country where the OC is given full control over the offense without the head coach putting his own stamp on it. And if there is a fundamental disagreement between the two, it will become a major problem. But, perhaps that didn’t become apparent until mid-season (the Auburn game?).

In any event, Stoops’ legacy hinges on this hire.

15. univky
    2:38 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

We don’t have an SEC caliber QB on the roster and have a very below average O-Line…..I’m not a Dawson fan, but those are two major issues for whomever does come in…

• Bluecreeker
      3:03 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Especially if you try to run the ball on every 1st and 2nd down……get it?

16. Mathlete
    2:48 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

After tweeting this, Patrick took his helmet off, shook out his hair, and winked at an invisible camera.

17. Bluecreeker
    3:01 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Patrick Towels “I will bleed blue for the rest of my life” or 2 weeks, until I have the chance to dog Stoops in public.
    I would say Towels is all in with Dawson, glad the’re leaving at this point. I said this about Towels many times; You can not hide form the game tape. I watched this young man hold the ball too long, throw into double and triple coverage for interceptions way too many times. He and Dawson apparently were a good match. The only other time I can remember watching such an uninspired offensive football team is when Joker was the coach.

18. Bluecreeker
    3:09 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

The Dawson philosophy will not encourage players such as Conrad to stay at UK.

There is a philosophy that says “we can’t hold off their blitz, so pull the TE back to block” and then there is the philosophy that says, when they blitz I will run Conrad across the middle, do a 2 step drop and throw the ball over the blitz. I like option 2, which UK used almost never this season, a which if used efficiently will slow down a blitzing defense.

19. jahanc2uky
    3:20 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

The picture on this post says it perfectly. Dawson is saying (like an idiot), “The WRs need to catch the ball like this.” While, Patrick has his mouth wide open (like an idiot) thinking, “I wonder if I can turn this starting QB gig into career of politics after I graduate. And finally my favorite Drew Barker clinching his fist thinking, “will these 2 idiots quit talking and let me go play.” I will be renewing my tickets next season to watch this drama unfold. But based on Patrick Towels & Shannon Dawson’s attitude, I believe UK just became a better football team.

20. BigBlueBrock
    3:50 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Dawson was a dumb hick and Towles was a crappy quarterback, so I guess they’re two peas in a pod. Good riddance.

• theSkinny81
      4:04 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Your comment suggests that your family has a background rich in biodiversity.

21. KTower
    4:09 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

I really can’t believe Dawson is making these comments……he is out of a job and needs to find another gig. The worst thing you can do is blast your X-Boss to Fox Sports.

As for Patrick, he should keep in mind that he is looking for another school to play for….prospective teams do not want a problem player.

22. Nolecat21
    4:14 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Towles was a 4star Pro Style QB coming out of HS. (http://247sports.com/Player/Patrick-Towles-10079) The No. 1 prospect in Kentucky and one of the top-10 pro-style quarterbacks in the country by Rivals.com. He finished #12 in the Elite 11 only bc Zeke Pike’s dad has connections.
    Tired of saying this, but many of the problems came from WRs dropping balls and penalties on the OL. Quickly putting UK in predictable situations the following plays. There are rumors wr’s were running wrong routes and dropping balls on purpose bc Barker was “their boy”. Bottom line, there were many balls thrown that true Div 1 wr’s could’ve caught. A good HC would’ve had a handle on this. No one here knows who made the boneheaded Offensive play calls in key situations. How do we know Stoops didn’t override Dawson on these calls, only to now throw him under the bus. As I’ve said before, I’m a huge FSU fan as well. I was stoked when we landed Stoops bc he was an awesome DC at FSU. Reality is, some coordinators don’t make good HC’s. My opinion is, that’s the case here. I’m from Northern Ky. I watched Towles in HS as well as Barker. I can tell you, Towles is 10x the QB Barker is, so good luck with that.

• Piedma Schwartz
      4:21 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

According to Billy Mays here, Towles was a 3 star TE

• Bluecreeker
      5:16 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

@Nolecat – I sense some homer in your statement. Let me start by saying this. Patrick Towels is a great kid, he was a very good QB in high school, and recruited by Louisville, Vandy, and Illinois. Not bad for a kid from Kentucky. However, like I have said…..you can not hide from game tape. Regardless the aspersions about players dropping chit on purpose. Towels threw way too many interceptions because he threw ill advised passes into double and triple coverage’s. although he can throw a long ball his short pass accuracy was pitiful. He is a red shirt Sr. who spent his off season working with pro developers. I seem to think he is about as good as he is going to get.
      Drew Barker on the other hand was the 5th ranked QB in his class nationwide and was OFFERED by 14 other schools like Louisville, Tennessee, Mississippi, Miami, Duke,Illinois, NC, Vandy and many more. Not to mention, Drew was instrumental in getting several of UK’s recent commits here.
      So, you are entitled to an opinion, but by all accounts Drew Barker is a better prospective QB for UK based upon the opinions of those who know about such things.

• J-Dub421
      5:34 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

He is not being a homer. Once again, go listen to the last football podcast. Jared Lorenzen doesn’t have any reason to lie or make that stuff up. He was really pissed off about it, and you should be too.

• Bluecreeker
      5:38 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

@J-Dub – I am not really sure how to approach you with this. If there was distention amongst the ranks what would you do? Keep the below average OC and average QB you have?
      I hear a lot more UK fans looking for results than wiping Dawsons back side. Towels, good or bad is not the future of UK football. Now, wipe the past and move forward because we have some young studs on this team.

• J-Dub421
      5:44 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

I think the coaches should have benched certain receivers and didn’t. The inmates were running the asylum. The “young studs” are a big part of the problem. They think they’re too talented to have to put in work. How can you not be upset knowing that Badet and Baker sabotaged their own team??

• Bluecreeker
      5:53 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

@J-Dub – Based upon the results of the season, who was sabotaging who?

I am available, I could have called a much better scheme, I would have played the talent…..heck Cal does it and it works.

I would tell everybody including Towels “if you are going to throw the ball to the other team I can;t play you” ……..heck I can almost hear Cal saying it now.

Stoops CLEAN HOUSE DUDE….get these little beotches out of the locker room.

• Bluecreeker
      5:55 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

@J-Dub – The young guys are A LOT better than average. They were pissed because they were watching the team lose……I like the attitude.

23. 2thepoint
    5:28 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Bluecreeker, as long as you keep preaching I am saying amen.

24. kyguy2892
    8:24 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

LP: So not a professional sports writer just one mans opinion. Stoops is learning on the fly how to be a head Coach which is the case with any head coach transitioning from coordinator to being the head guy. His learning curve is obviously going a lot slower than any of us anticipated, and hoped for, and I’m not giving up hope as he has done things on the recurring trail, and is bringing talent to UK that shows promise. Now here is where I think the problem lies is that he, similar to Rex Ryan in the NFL, (not comparing the two as coaches what so ever just situations) is that he is a defensive minded coach that has little experience with offensive game planning and strategies, and wants, from comments made that I have heard and read to much control of the offensive play calling. (Feel like every UK coordinator has been handed down the same playbook for the past 3 years) I understand his thinking in not wanting to open up the playbook due to his young inexperienced team, but it’s hurting the growth of these young players not being able to improve. Such as conservative play calling on 2&3 down, given though in certain situations that is a smart play call, but still. Tired of seeing draws and bubble screens, and not timing routes, pick plays, curls, and plays down the field to actually attempt to move the ball and trust the players you recruited to come here to make plays. So what if these young guys don’t make the play, you work on it and get better but you can’t expect these guys to grow as players if you don’t let them get out there and make mistakes, which I think really hurt us at the end of the Vandy, Florida, and Auburn games with the conservative play calling in certain situations and trying to run plays that minimize there chance at mistakes. (which isn’t good for anyone) I would rather see the playbook open up next year and let them play and make mistakes and learn from it, and see improvement during the season rather than see the decline we took this year, and last, in terms as improving, and growing as a team. I know that doesn’t always translate to the record aspect but it would at least help set the program up for the future when these guys get experience. It’s UK football so I know it’s not going to happen overnight, and it’s going to be a long road full of ups and downs. Either way I’m still backing Coach Stoops, and think givin the time he can be a great coach. Just have to keep reminding myself that he’s a first time head coach learning to run a program in if not the best, one of the best College football conferences in the nation at a historicaly mediocre program in said conference. Anyway thanks for reading this post (if anyone actually does see it) and go big blue