Patrick Towles is your starting quarterback

Darrell Bird | CatsPause.com

Darrell Bird | CatsPause.com

Darrell Bird | CatsPause.com

It’s finally official. Mark Stoops just announced that after “thorough evaluation and a hard fought competition,” Patrick Towles has been named Kentucky’s starting quarterback. Here are Stoops’ quotes about the decision:

“After thorough evaluation and a hard fought competition, we are naming Patrick Towles as our starting quarterback. This competition has brought out the best in our quarterbacks and I’m confident in Patrick moving our team forward.”

Patrick has been considered the frontrunner since spring practice. No word on whether Reese Phillips or Drew Barker will be the backup, but hopefully we’ll hear more at today’s open practice.

47 Comments for Patrick Towles is your starting quarterback

1. STOOPS TROOPS
    9:26 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

BOWL TIME

• Bubba
      11:13 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

You must mean smokin’ a bowl.

2. 2mites
    9:37 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

No surprise here for me. I expected him from the beginning to be the QB of choice. I really hope Barker takes a redshirt as that will make him so much more prepared for the SEC. I wish Pat the best of luck in the coming year and hopefully injury free. Good choice by Stoops and Brown and now we have a real quarterback unlike last year with the disaster that was Whitlow.

3. Paul
    9:42 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

With improved receivers he should do very well. Hopefully Borden shines at TE. Good to put two years between Towles and Barker. Drew is likely our future.

4. Stoops troops
    9:45 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

Perfect! Start Towles Phillips backup and Barker redshirt and he will be a beast.

5. Redrum
    9:46 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

Yawn.

• ukjaybrat
      9:51 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

either you’re a very bad troll or a very ironic fan who on every basketball related posts complains that there isn’t enough football news on this website.

either way, good job being a douche

• CATadMONKEY
      9:58 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

Either way he is an unwelcome nuisance who is most definitely Captain of the douche canoe.

• L1C6
      9:59 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

ukjay…he’s a troll, been trolling for a while. The irony is that he’s on this site to begin with yet posting “yawn” that this is boring. Louisville fans get mad that we make fun of them so much, yet they make it so easy with their stupidity.

• Redrum
      10:45 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

4 comments for 4 letters. Mission accomplished! LOL

• TimeFor9
      11:23 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

So this is all you have in your life, sitting around hoping ppl respond to your trolling? My apathy for Louisville fans is turning into sympathy, make it stop!

• Redrum
      11:25 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

Sorry Time, but my life really is this pathetic. I appreciate the sympathy! Oh, and now I have 5 comments so my day just got a little brighter.

• Redrum
      12:58 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

I’ve gotten more attention here, in under three hours, than my parents have given me my whole life.

They suck. I needed this.

• UKfan
      2:07 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

Rectum must be bored. Must be not enough in his life to fill him up.

6. The Loco Pollo
    9:51 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

Time to go to work, Patty Ice!

Hopefully he has success and stays healthy so Barker can take a redshirt year. Barker is still very much the future of the program and I’m excited for his development, but hopefully Towles keeps a firm grasp on the QB1 spot the next 2 years.

7. Cats
    9:58 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

I don’t see him being anything great. The qb is still a position of concern.

• DCS195
      10:34 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

Not looking for anything great this year, just good to very good. With that we will be fine. Great will come later.

• WRONG, BUT MAYBE THIS TIME I'M RIGHT
      6:37 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

You mom wasn’t all that great either – she had you.

8. jlove
    9:59 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

Good luck to him. It will be exciting to see a QB who can throw. It feels like forever since we had that.

• Reality
      10:58 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

Smith could air it out when he wanted to, too bad he’s made of porcelain because he was playing really well before he got hurt (both times).

9. Alan
    9:59 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

Say bye to Barker. He isn’t going to sit 2 years behind anyone. Foolish decision if Barker is truly “the future”.

• Moose
      10:01 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

Do you honestly believe your comment or were you just searching for something someone would respond to. Barker isn’t going anywhere.

• J-Dub421
      10:18 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

I highly doubt that. Barker is very competitive and this will only motivate him.

• Champ
      10:23 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

Tebow, Rodgers, Brady, Manning, Kaepernik, Flacco…..NONE of these guys were named the starter at the beginning of their fresh. year. Most were backups for a few years. If Barker has any sense, he realizes that most QBs have to wiat their turn

• Josephi Verbum
      10:33 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

You’re new to how College Football works aren’t you.

• DCS195
      10:37 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

So you think, if he went to South Carolina this year and not redshirting?

• DCS195
      10:40 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

Meant to say: If he went to South Carolina this year, he would be starting and not redshirting?

10. Hollahollaholla
    10:18 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

Great call by Stoops, he is doing everything right.

1. Towles
    2. Phillips
    3. Max Smith
    4. (RS) Barker

11. matt
    11:01 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

I see 3 wins in kensuckys future!

• Redrum
      11:26 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

L yeah bro we be so funny! Trollin, trollin, trollin…ain’t no betta way to spend a day then trollin these Cayuts! L1C6 baby! Oops I mean L1C4

12. Yesterdays
    11:01 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

Lets say that Barker did decide to transfer- I DONT WANT THAT TO HAPPEN. But, if this is the case, it likely means that Towles is playing well and Barker decides he will never beat him out. Well, that would mean that our offense is doing well and we are winning some games, correct? Is that a bad thing? If we are winning we can figure out a QB later. Hopefully Drew stays and learns and comes in ready to bang his RS Junior Year after inheriting a great offense from Towles.

• asdf
      11:04 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

Barker isn’t going to transfer. If he isn’t ready to start at Kentucky, then he’s not ready to start at any major program. We are in rebuilding mode, after all, and the competition will only get tougher if he transfers. He has all the talent, but he needs another year or so to develop and mature. Barker is a bright kid, and he knows this.

13. Tomda
    11:14 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

Are we not fixed?
    Decisions have been made on grey uniforms, rap music so the players can feel like gangsters. (ear plugs are mandatory for visiting teams, so they won’t hear the same and be fired up also), downsizing the stadium, etc.
    Finally we got a quarterback. AND before Alabama picks one.
    I tell ya we’re fixed!

Give him another million for picking a quarterback.

Kentucky Football, nothing expected, therefore no disappointments

• asdf
      11:24 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

What’s wrong with making it fun for the players and students by playing their music. You sound like an old fart. I’m an old fart, too, but at least I try not to turn into the sad, old guy yelling at kids to stay off his grass.

• GP
      11:24 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

I hope you have a terrible day.

• Diz
      9:34 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

Tomda makes some good points. The old guys pay the bills, so they should have a say-so.

14. "Work" is a relative term
    11:27 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

Is anyone else looking forward to all of the autocorrect and spellcheck failures that call our new QB “Patrick Towels”? I don’t know why, but I kind of am.

15. theWilkman
    11:54 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

Don’t forget to bring a Towles!

• BigBlue37
      3:24 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

…I have no idea what’s going on right now

16. AJH
    12:44 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

Wilkman – Perfect. T-shirts need to be made on this. hahaha.

17. UKBlue1!
    1:12 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

Stoops inherited a mess. He needs to be given time to clean it up. I’m very impressed with this decision and the recruiting job he is doing. Whoever, he picks is going to have to deal with some of the best defenses college football has to offer. He is going to have deal with our own offensive line and receiver weaknesses against the defenses. I am now hoping we can win a SEC game or maybe 2 this year. Our record in the last 3 years is 4-8, 2-10 and 2-10. Maybe we can win 4 or 5 games and be competitive in at least 5-6 more. Go Cats!

18. Beaumont
    1:47 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

Seems like pretty sound logic by the coaching staff. The only way Barker should play/start this year, is if he is the clear cut winner going away. I say do everything you can to give him a redshirt year to grow mentally and physically. More than likely, by the time Barker is ready to take over the top spot the team will have more of a supporting cast surrounding him. At least that is the way the team is trending in regards to recruiting.

Let’s not forget that Towles is a homegrown kid as well. I am glad to see him get his shot, excited to see him in action, and wish him the very best! Go Cats!

19. Aaron Craft's Rosacea
    4:26 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

This took Stoops and the coaching staff way too long as a staff to figure out and announce. I just hope Towles is still confident heading in to the season and this doesn’t affect him mentally as a player.

• Bill Walton's Acne
      7:03 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

Because the timing of the announcement will really cut his legs out from under him. Seriously? I’m assuming that was sarcasm. If Towles ego is that fragile we’re screwed before the season even begins.

20. Optimistic
    6:16 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

Sounds good to me. From all I’ve seen it looked like Towels earned it.

21. realfanman
    9:36 pm August 18, 2014 Permalink

Whitlow and Max beat that bum out two years running. Ol suck WR suck play calling suck. THIS IS NOT THE BIG 12

22. Gene T.
    4:53 am August 19, 2014 Permalink

Too many negative comments. Give the kid a chance. I liked him as a Freshman, and he has earned his start. He got hurt, but looked good till then. He has worked hard to deserve this start. How many great QB”s were all that when they were Freshmen. If he can stay healthy, I think he will be really good. I hope our line can protect him, and give Barker the chance to grow and mature. When Barker is ready, he will have even better talent around him. Look out, CATS are on the rise. I truly believe we will surprise this year.