Patrick Towles is your starting quarterback

@UKphotogs

@UKphotogs

@UKphotogs

BREAKING NEWS from the Nutter Training Facility: Mark Stoops just announced that Patrick Towles has won the starting quarterback job and Drew Barker will serve as backup.

“We came to some clarity at the quarterback position. Patrick Towles will start,” Stoops said. “It was a good battle, Drew did some very good things, but once again, Patrick played exceptionally on Saturday. We’re very encouraged by his progress.”

Stoops stressed that “Patrick’s the guy,” but the staff has a lot of confidence in Drew and is excited to see him play when the opportunity arises.

Nick will be by with more in just a few…

14 Comments for Patrick Towles is your starting quarterback

1. From one Patrick to another:

“GO PAT GO!!!”

2. Kyblue34
    11:45 am August 17, 2015 Permalink

Not surprising, but I hope Drew is able to get some meaningful playing time, especially if Patrick is having a bad game.

• novalsi
      11:59 am August 17, 2015 Permalink

I’ve been expecting and supporting Towles as the starter all offseason, but I do reaaaaally want to see Barker start and play the first half/quarter against EKU.

• Mathlete
      12:10 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

Not to worry Novalsi, he’ll definitely get some meaningful reps in the second half when it’s 42-0 UK

3. Daniel
    11:55 am August 17, 2015 Permalink

I hope they don’t pull Pat if he’s struggling. He needs to be able to play through the tough times too! Drew should only see the field if they are up big or if the unspeakable happens.

• android guy
      12:16 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

I don’t think they should have a quick trigger on pulling Pat in a bad game, but at the same time, they need to get Drew some reps. He’s our backup and he’s never had a real college snap. I think they should try to get him a series or two every it’s possible, and let him play who quarters if we’re up big. As often as not, SEC QBs don’t make it through a whole season without getting banged up. We need Drew to be ready when Patrick has to sit for a quarter after his bell is rung a little to hard.

4. john wall
    11:55 am August 17, 2015 Permalink

alright pat lets get after it!

5. Andy
    11:58 am August 17, 2015 Permalink

Marcelys Jones has been dismissed for violation of team rules. WTF is going on with that kid.

• Mcbil
      2:51 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

I heard that it was related to carrying a gun and drugs. Also heard this may not be the last we hear of it.

6. secrick
    12:26 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

I think he is has good a quarterback has we have in the sec. Now i hope he proves it.

7. Just Say'n
    2:47 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

I like Towles, but if he hasn’t learned to look off receivers or gained arm strength on the deep ball, we’ll see similar results. Last year he locked on one guy and if that wasn’t open he panicked. Yea I know, the offensive line didn’t help, yada, yada, yada, but he locked on as soon as the ball was snapped.

I sure hope that’s changed and he has a great year. Barker? Well, I’d just like to see him grow up.

8. Lorenzen's Gut
    2:48 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

Nooooooooooooooo!!! Pat absolutely blew his chance last year. If Drew isn’t going to start, then he should have red shirted last season. Poor coaching decisions. Let’s hope that Drew gets his shot sooner rather than later. Cats!!

• J-Dub421
      3:05 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

Drew Barker did redshirt last season.

• Andrew
      4:04 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

Patrick didn’t blow his chance… He struggled at times, but played really well at other times. We were a missed delay of game call and a dropped interception away from being 7-5… Some of those who over criticize him would have a different opinion if that had happened. But now he’s got the experience, he’s had another good off season, and he’s going to have a great year. Drew will get his time here.