Patrick Towles battling for the starting job

26402873141_2e5aec5899_o

Patrick Towles is feeling a little déjà vu once again heading into the off season. Many expected Towles to get the starting spot over the redshirt sophomore, Darius Wade, however that is not the case. The two quarterbacks battled it out for that starting gig in Saturday’s Spring Game.

Towles started off the game by showing everyone why he should be named the started. Towles’ first play of the game was a 50+ yard pass that was dropped, but it impressed people in the stadium. Towles finished 5-of-14 for 48 yards and a 10-yard rush.

Towles said offensive coordinator, Scot Loeffler, likes mixing in play-action passes and dropbacks while spreading the field with a mix of short, medium, and long passes, which will prepare him for the NFL.

“There’s going to be a lot of plays made in this stadium this year, I can tell you that,” Towles said.

Despite the excitement around Towles, sophomore quarterback Darius Wade looked even better. Wade finished 13-of-19 for 181 yards.

Head coach Steve Addazio did not make any comments on the starting quarterback job, but did note that both are pretty much taking all of the reps.

“[Towles] chucked it, and Darius chucked it,” Addazio said. “That’s as good as I’ve seen those guys chuck it around out there.”

For a season like Boston College had in 2015, having two quarterbacks battle it out isn’t such a problem. Hoping for all the success for Towles in his final year of college football.

Article written by Kindsey Bernhard

Lover of dogs, sports and beer. @kindseybernhard

11 Comments for Patrick Towles battling for the starting job

1. Sarahvah
    4:27 pm April 17, 2016 Permalink

I hope he does well but I’m torn on the kid. I feel like he was a big part of the locker room divide last year with Dawson and I don’t think he has the fundamentals to make a big impact anywhere in D1 football. But he’s also a Kentucky kid who seemed to enjoy being at UK and was a 4 star recruit so

2. Smyrna_Cat
    4:58 pm April 17, 2016 Permalink

I think people get to caught up in the fact that Towles LOOKS like a pro QB and can throw the ball a mile. I agree, I think he had a lot to do with the locker room problems. On the field, he made too many dumb plays, and although he had some passes dropped, I have always thought a part of that problem is that he doesn’t throw a catchable ball. One of the jobs of a QB is to throw the ball so the receiver can make the catch, which sometimes means a softer throw works better that a rifle throw. I wish Towles the best, but 5-14 for 48 yards is the reason he isn’t the starting QB for the Cats. It also seems like Towles got some horrid catching last year. One of his strengths was running, and yet that was taken away from him. Bad decision.

3. chardun20
    5:08 pm April 17, 2016 Permalink

I felt that Towles took a lot hits and he started watching the pass rush. Once a QB starts watching the pass rush, it’s hard for them to not worry about the pass rush. I felt that Towles panicked sometimes in the pocket instead of stepping up in the pocket and making the throw. It wasn’t all on Towles, the O line and receivers didn’t help much.

4. david8577
    5:22 pm April 17, 2016 Permalink

Probably still not leading his receivers with his passes.

5. Larry Pratt
    7:03 pm April 17, 2016 Permalink

Why bother…it will be awaiting moderation anyway

6. kjd
    9:10 pm April 17, 2016 Permalink

He left UK because of 5-14 passing. Same old story.

7. inside info2
    10:51 pm April 17, 2016 Permalink

Haha. There were several of us last year that said before the first game that Towles should not be an SEC starting QB. We were ridiculed. Well it looks like we should have been because we were wrong. He should not even be an ACC starting QB.

I hope his hair is still long so he can play with it on the sidelines instead of focusing on the game.

8. rockatao
    11:45 pm April 17, 2016 Permalink

The Boston article says ” On his first play from scrimmage, Towles tossed the ball nearly 50 yards downfield, well over the heads of his receiver and the opposing cornerback”. Not that the ball was dropped and not that anyone was impressed. Seems like something we’ve seen numerous times before.

9. GroundControlToNumber9
    8:21 am April 18, 2016 Permalink

Am I missing something?

He transferred at the end of last season. D1 football transfers have to sit 1 year.

How is he eligible?

• za
      9:03 am April 18, 2016 Permalink

He graduated in December.

10. za
    9:04 am April 18, 2016 Permalink

He’s not even going to start. Rough to go up there and not even get to play.