Patrick Graffree: “I did a selfish act and put my team in jeopardy”

EKU defensive lineman Patrick Graffree regrets the night he walked into the Telford Hall lobby on Eastern’s campus and landed a thundering right punch on an unsuspecting Drew Barker.

“I embarrassed my team and myself,” Graffree told Mark Story of the Herald-Leader. “I embarrassed my name. Every time I want my name to come out or be out is for good things. And that didn’t happen in that case.”

The suckerpunch is all of the talk this week as Kentucky gets ready to host the Colonels in Commonwealth Stadium. But Graffree, a former Wildcat, wishes it never happened, and it won’t happen again, he promises.

“I did a selfish act and put my team in jeopardy. I promise you, I will never do that again.”

Read more from Story’s story on the Herald-Leader’s website here.

Article written by Drew Franklin

39 Comments for Patrick Graffree: “I did a selfish act and put my team in jeopardy”

1. Duuuuuude
    10:30 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

2. BtownUKFan
    10:32 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

The ones that should be apologizing are the law enforcement officials in Richmond, KY. The video evidence is very clear evidence that he should have been charged with assault. I guess they model their relationship with EKU athletes after Florida and Florida State.

3. CatsBy80
    10:38 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

At least he acknowledges that what he did is wrong and is apologetic. Hopefully our guys just come out focused and take care of business early. Get the W and start preparing for the Auburn game. Don’t need any drama during the EKU game.

4. Robby
    10:44 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

As much as it pains me to say this- UK’s players are just as guilty and immature as EKU’s in this situation. After the bar fight, they should have left Richmond and headed back to Lexington. Going to EKU’s campus and attempting to check into a dorm is only a compounding interest in the matter. Kudo’s to Graffree for showing some humility..

• Steve O
      12:48 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

Humility??? Sure, under pressure from the team and coaches! Quit trying to justify the actions of this tool. He’s a coward and an embarrassment to the state!

5. But....
    10:46 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

Interesting how he’s sorry for embarrassing himself and his team… but not one mention of “I could’ve seriously injured Barker by sucker punching him like that”. Sounds like he’s sorry for what it’s done to him, not really too sorry for injuring a guy in what could’ve been a much worse incident.

6. Two way street
    10:47 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

How about the EKU player that was hospitalized after being hit with a bottle in the face? Even though he started it being hit with a deadly weapon is grounds to be charged as well. Barker and company are lucky charges were not pressed. I’m sure both coaches talked about it and decided to let it go its for the best. We have problems as well. My daughter goes to UK and I was not happy about to air-soft gun incident especially with all the mass shootings that happened before and after that event on college campuses. You may not have a child that goes to UK if you did you may care about what happened.

• Soft
      12:39 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

Your soft it was an airsoft dude no harm. settle down.

• Brian
      12:41 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

I suggest she transfer to your favorite school, Louisville. She’ll have a much easier time with the classes they offer.

• Karen
      12:53 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

Um, Classes are easier, no doubt. However, there is the situation that exists that makes Louisville a dangerous environment for women. First, you have the coaches of both football and baseball, and then the university openly pursues athletes that beat women.
      Even though Two Way Street, may indeed cast his/her allegiance to little brother, no parent that ever cared for their daughter, would ever allow her to step foot on that campus.

• Karen
      12:55 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

sorry that should have been basketball, not baseball. The baseball program seems to be good.

• Two Way Street
      2:46 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

I find it that every time someone disagrees on this blog they are labeled a troll or Louisville fan. Seeing as I went to UK and live in Hamburg I do not see how I am. Thinking that an active shooter is on the campus your kid goes to isn’t something to laugh at or tell someone to calm down. I’m sure parents that had kids at VT would agree. You guys are ridiculous and the fact that people brush this aside is crazy.

• Adorable
      6:16 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

“I find it that every time someone disagrees on this blog they are labeled a troll or Louisville fan.”

You must do that often, Two Way Street. 1-3, 1-7.

7. Make em' pay
    10:52 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

While Stoops won’t allow any foolishness, which he shouldn’t, what they can’t stop is the extra popping of the pads during play, if a guy is hit with a little extra effort then so be it. Now let the game begin, UK will be UK and win big, plus the satisfaction of laying the wood legally on the field.

8. ebarbaau
    10:54 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

one word – coward

• Don Armejo
      5:49 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

Yep, that was a bitch move.

9. RICK
    11:01 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

Can’t believe these kids are fighting and shooting bb guns, what has the world come to. We never did that sort of thing when i was growing up. They should all be put in jail and maybe a couple of them hung on the court house steps. Yeah right, The young man apologized and that’s good. We didn’t need to see this video again.

• Huh
      11:09 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

You want to hang someone for those things? Fights have been happening since the beginning of time, way worse things happen than this. It’s what happens when you get that many kids together. The world is no different, you just hear more about it now with the interwebz.

• WestKyCat
      11:23 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

It’s called sarcasm. Try it sometime.

• Bourbon Breath
      11:28 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

Huh seems to have bad comprehension skills. Completely whiffed on Rick’s point.

• Bourbon Breath
      11:28 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

yeah not comprehension, just no clue on sarcasm 🙂

• papasnapper
      11:59 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

Tks, WestKyCat – You beat me to the punch. Yep, pun intended.

10. Patrick Graffee
    11:25 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

I’m sorry I got caught on camera.

• catdaddyd
      4:54 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

Well if it wasn’t caught on camera, I would have said it wasn’t me and the police are profiling.

11. FreeBOOM
    12:25 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

UK high performance weight training > EKU’s

I see him flexing, but nothing is going on…

• Mathlete
      12:31 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

Was just thinking the same thing, somebody write Coach Korem a bonus check.

12. bob
    12:31 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

He apologized because he really didn’t have any other choice? After sucker punching a guy about 2/3 your size and embarrassing your self and your team, he really had no choice. THUG.

13. Soft
    12:32 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

He is soft. Needs to spend more time with those weights behind him and less time posing for the camera.

14. Hal
    12:40 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

What were they doing in a Richmond bar and an EKU dorm?

• Steve O
      1:05 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

Who cares?? Last I heard, people are free to go wherever they please. That jackhole doesn’t own Richmond or EKU

• Vomanos
      2:47 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

Hopefully it will be a lesson to these young men to be careful where you hang out. We were all young and did dumb stuff. The sucker punch was more than dumb.

15. Max
    1:18 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

If stoops can run up the score I hope he does it

16. Give the Guy a Break
    1:47 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

I went to high school with Pat. I’m also a big UK fan. Despite his actions which were wrong, and shouldn’t be considered acceptable in any way shape or form he really is a good guy. Pat always stood up for kids getting picked on and was an all around nice guy to his classmates. He shows remorse for the situation and I have no doubt that it was genuine. What he did isn’t ok but I know that he feels bad for it and know that it won’t be something he does again.

• Gene Eticist
      5:49 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

Tell Pat that in time he will heal. It will all be over Sunday; then he can recover. There is pay back coming to him. And, Karma as we know…….he will learn.

17. Turn the Other Cheek
    2:07 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

I would like to see Pat get sucker punched, then I think he wouldn’t do it to another person again. I’m glad he feels bad, but he should have to feel what he gave to Barker.

18. bbn4LIFE
    4:26 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

What a tub of lard lmao

19. Auntie Em Effer
    5:09 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

No forgivness. Punk ash mo fo needs his ash whooped on the field, at all times Show him no mercy, just pain.

20. Bobby Petrino
    5:34 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

Gouge his eyes out; break his leg(s), feet. Concuss the mofo. Upside his brain dead head.

21. KevTucky
    6:41 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

He came through the door with the intention of attacking DB. He removes his sweatshirt and hits DB within seconds of entering the dorm. Cowardly does not do this justice.