Ole Miss fires head coach Matt Luke

Things are changing in Oxford, Mississippi, as Ole Miss has reportedly decided to make a coaching change. Multiple reports say the school has fired Matt Luke after three seasons at the helm. The news was first reported by Rivals’ Rebel Grove and quickly confirmed by Yahoo Sports’ Pete Thamel and then ESPN.

Under Luke, the Rebels had a 15-21 record, with each year’s regular-season record declining by one win. Ole Miss went 6-6 during Luke’s first year, 2017, followed by a 5-7 and 4-8 season. Overall, the Rebels had a 6-18 conference record under Luke.

Ole Miss lost this year’s Egg Bowl against in-state rival Mississippi State in epic proportions after Elijah Moore celebrated his game-tying touchdown by mimicking a peeing dog, earning an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and costing the team 15 yards. The point after sailed wide to give Mississippi State the win.

Ole Miss never went to a bowl during Luke’s short tenure. The school self-imposed a bowl ban in 2017 after NCAA violations, and the NCAA added the 2018 season onto that initial ban. With just four wins to their name this season, Ole Miss wouldn’t have been eligible for the post-season this year regardless.

Per Rebel Grove, the buyout for Luke and his staff is in the range of $17 million. Luke hired former Colorado coach Mike MacIntyre to run the defense before the 2019 season, and had also hired former Michigan and Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez to be the team’s offensive coordinator.

Was this the straw that finally broke the camel’s back?

Article written by Maggie Davis

I love sports, podcasts, long walks on the beach and Twitter (@MaggieDavisKSR)

10 Comments for Ole Miss fires head coach Matt Luke

1. RAGE
    9:15 pm December 1, 2019 Permalink

Wow according to the recruiting rankings he had a top 25 class coming in next year.. In fact he was rated a spot higher than ours.. Don’t blame them making the change but still he took over a mess…

2. zoupman
    9:58 pm December 1, 2019 Permalink

I feel he should have been given more time. 3 years, come on? He probably feels pissed on. Lol.

3. ukkatzfan
    10:51 pm December 1, 2019 Permalink

5 years from now that celebration will be considered tame.

• TPACAT
      8:36 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

The minute that ignorant punk did it I knew they were gonna’ lose and was happy when it happened. Poetic justice, if I’ve ever witnessed it…

• TPACAT
      8:37 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Make that “classless” punk…

4. MississippiBlue
    12:06 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

I’m an Ole Miss alumni. Please trust me when I say this…Matt Luke is a good man, but a terrible coach. He had no business being a head coach for an SEC team. He had no prior OC or DC experience. He got the job via the good Ole Boy network. 99% of Ole Miss fans are celebrating tonight. Matt Luke took all the joy away from made our CFB Saturday’s.

5. zoupman
    8:40 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Mblue I can’t disagree for I’m not in the ole M know. My question is why did he have such a huge buyout? Fan base should be upset with AD for being so irresponsible with money.

• MississippiBlue
      8:53 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Jimmy Sexton is his agent, and as most CFB know that man is good at what he does. I’d like to blame our old AD, because he was on the way out and is an easy target. However, it’s known within Ole Miss circles that the AD wanted to fire Luke and hire Dave Doeren from NCState but was overruled by the former Chancellor Jeffery Vitter.

6. RackEmWillie
    9:01 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Dude had a team that was hit with NCAA sanctions, and they fire him? That seems a little shallow, to me. I’m not saying he is a good or bad coach, but those situations are hard for any coach.

This just feels a little short sighted.

7. MississippiBlue
    10:32 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Short sighted was offering an offensive line coach the keys to a SEC program with NO former head coaching or coordinator experience. He’s essentially a Vince Marrow figure. A great recruiter, but far to green for the HC job. I don’t blame him for taking the job, but I do blame the former Chancellor for overruling our old AD. It definitely set the football program back years. For comparison look at Baylor. Hit with similar sanctions and they’re now undefeated. No one expects teams like Ole Miss, MSU, Kentucky, Mizzou etc to have the same type of success but when your coaching staff has a 6-6, 5-7, 4-8 trajectory what do you expect?