Offensive Line Shoulders Blame for Tennessee Loss

The only consistent presence on Kentucky’s offense is the Wildcat offensive line. A physical, experienced group, they’ve made far fewer mistakes than most on UK’s offense, leading the way for an aggressive rushing attack.

Saturday night against Tennessee, the offensive line paved a path for the Wildcats to move the ball down the field. They simply stalled out one too many times.

“We had two nine-play drives and a 12-play drive and we didn’t finish. I said that Saturday night,” said Eddie Gran. “We didn’t finish. We had opportunities and didn’t get it done.”

This week Lynn Bowden did not have to do it alone. Chris Rodriguez ripped off 6.8 yards per carry and Kavosiey Smoke gained 7.3 yards per attempt. The backs made third downs more manageable before Bowden did something magical.

“He makes us look real good,” said senior offensive guard Logan Stenberg. “We’ll miss a block and he’ll scramble for 40 yards and it looks designed. It makes it really easy. I think as an offensive line, we’re a damn good unit up front, so we can go in between the tackles when we need to and Lynn back there makes us look good.”

Bowden made them look good until the very end of the game. Needing one yard in two plays, Rodriguez was stuffed on third down. On the following play the UK quarterback was tackled two yards shy of the goal line. Speaking on behalf of the rest of his teammates, Stenberg shouldered the blame for the loss.

“I don’t think it’s a short-yardage problem. As you saw on fourth and one, we ran wedge and blew them off the ball for three yards. It’s definitely not a short yardage problem, it’s getting our hat where we need to be and executing better. We put that loss on the offensive line. It doesn’t matter what’s called, we need to be able to get one yard. It doesn’t matter if we’re running straight verts. We need to be able get a yard. That’s on us.”

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

20 Comments for Offensive Line Shoulders Blame for Tennessee Loss

1. stringmusic78
    3:17 pm November 13, 2019 Permalink

The head coach and OC are the only ones who should be taking blame.

• dcforuk
      7:12 pm November 13, 2019 Permalink

I like the culture of ownership. I wonder who is most responsible for developing such a culture?

• RAGE
      7:23 pm November 13, 2019 Permalink

Been a tough week for UK sports.. I know last night was really tough and honestly made me physically ill lol.. But I always like how Coach Cal takes the blame when we lose.. He always shoulders the blame when it is his fault and when it isn’t.. I have never heard Stoops ever admit when he has been out coached… I mean last weekend would have been the perfect example of when Stoops should have taken a page out of Cal’s book.. Stoops was out coached in the second half by Pruitt BIG TIME!!!! I mean Pruitt made half time adjustments and we didn’t plain and simple… I don’t know how anyone can look at it any other way.. I mean Pruitt made adjustments and Tennessee drove down the field the first 2 times they had the football and scored easily…. But what frustrates me more than anything is out of Stoops is all you get is excuses and more coach speak.. I mean when you get out coached like Stoops did last week in the second half and fail to make any adjustments at all.. Then just admit it like Cal did last night… That is what upsets me more about Stoops than anything.. He just full of excuses and then afterwards instead of admitting his failures tries to convince the world how he is always right…

2. StuckinLville
    3:30 pm November 13, 2019 Permalink

The offensive line helped run the ball all night. It’s on the coaches, not them.

3. Gocats30
    3:38 pm November 13, 2019 Permalink

Hard to block 35 people in the box

• Matt10
      4:18 pm November 13, 2019 Permalink

Lololol!!

• zoupman
      9:56 pm November 13, 2019 Permalink

Line player fine. They have been good all year.

4. CopenhagenCat
    3:43 pm November 13, 2019 Permalink

They was up 13-0 . And then the Coaches blew it. Terrible play calling. They find ways to lose.

5. gacat123
    3:51 pm November 13, 2019 Permalink

Maybe we as fans should help the team by stop assigning blame and help the team move forward by putting the loss behind us.

• stringmusic78
      4:00 pm November 13, 2019 Permalink

That happens when the proper authority takes accountability. When the wrong person is doing it then you can expect comments.

Such is life. You’re welcome.

• notFromhere
      4:35 pm November 13, 2019 Permalink

Well said, gacat

6. notFromhere
    4:39 pm November 13, 2019 Permalink

It IS on the line. They needed to get those yards. It’s also on the coaches to get the passing game going better with Lynn at QB. It’s also on the D for letting UT score. It’s a team game and the coaches can’t execute for the players. It’s up to them to get the yards.

Ky fans are the ines that need to learn and move on, but it’s the ssdd after a loss. The 5% that are first to doubt. First to trash. First to second guess. Wish they’d lose their voices and their internet connection

• ScoggDog
      5:26 pm November 13, 2019 Permalink

I get it – I wish the “Everything is Awesome, Everything is Cool” folks would shut up as well.

But, since y’all ain’t – I ain’t.

Don’t think I’ve ever told a soul how to properly be a “fan”. Yet your type never seems to stop explaining.

• stringmusic78
      5:28 pm November 13, 2019 Permalink

UK ran for over 300 yards. Stenberg is probably 21 years old.

The article has blame in its title. Did you want us to comment on something other than the subject of the article?

Very classy comments, have you ever considered just showzing up for the pep rally’s? We will talk football while you wave pom poms

• satcheluk
      8:59 pm November 13, 2019 Permalink

Agreed notFromhere! I guess everyone has ignorant fans. It’s ok to be frustrated or disappointed, but all the vitriol and anger at the coaches is just ignorant venting.

• Irish son
      9:03 pm November 13, 2019 Permalink

This line is very UNathletic. They have bad feet and aren’t quick off the ball

7. RAGE
    7:26 pm November 13, 2019 Permalink

It was on the coaches 110%… The offensive line had nothing to hang their heads about.. I mean Stoops should be more like Cal and just admit that he was out coached in the second half.. For failing to even trying to make Second half adjustments.. Pruitt did and that was the ball game.. Plus he could admit that it is time to try and play a QB.. Bowden and the Oline have played their butts off but the coaches failed them

• jaws2
      7:50 pm November 13, 2019 Permalink

Ohhhh you can’t say that here RAGE! Let me just fill in the responses to save reply space.
      Find another team then! I don’t see anyone paying you to coach loser! Troll! We don’t need fans like you!
      If you don’t think Stoops is good enough who would you get!
      I know this is merely a sampling but I’m sure you get the point. You can’t criticize here with actual knowledgeable points because; well, you just can’t.

• RAGE
      9:07 pm November 13, 2019 Permalink

lol I know Jaws2… I don’t know how you stand Jaws but I am as big a fan as anyone for our teams.. I mean I physically felt ill both Saturday and last night when we lost games that we shouldn’t have lost… My wife thinks I am crazy to take it that seriously but man I love sports and our teams… I def ain’t a troll lol… I find it upsetting that our Oline came out and takes responsibility for our loss when our staff stays quiet and basically just makes excuses about why we are losing.. as fans we basically pay the coaches salary with our attendance money and the stuff we buy to support our teams… We can all feel however we want but it frustrates me when people try to tell you how you should feel.. Cal came out and immediately put the blame on him when our basketball team got beat last night.. Why Stoops don’t have the same integrity is beyond me… Puzzles me how anyone could watch our game last week and not be upset with our coaching staff last week.. I mean to each their own but man we as fans deserve more than what we got… Obviously our staff made no adjustments for the second half.. Tennessee came out and carved the defense up like a hot knife through butter and our offense did absolutely nothing different from the first half.. Tennessee is not a real good football team and I don’t think Pruitt is a very good coach but Stoops made his second half adjustments look like he was Bill Belichick…. I just think we as fans and our players deserve more than that from a coaching staff that is very well compensated… Stoops should watch what Cal did and at least look in the mirror… But again we are all allowed to feel however we want to about the game and stuff.. I ain’t trying to change anyone minds just putting in my 2 cents.. Which mean absolutely nothing lol

• ScoggDog
      9:06 pm November 13, 2019 Permalink

Yeah … that’s it. Find another team. Love it or leave it.

Folks like you make it really, really easy to hate this organization. Ain’t no room to question. Ain’t no room to complain.

I hope you have deep pockets. Because there’s a ton of seats to buy at both Rupp and Commonwealth. Get to gettin’ ’em.

Peeps like you make the losses so much easier.