Today’s unbelievable win surpassed many milestones, but we should’ve seen this coming.
On this day five years ago Matt Roark quarterbacked Kentucky to their first victory over the Tennessee Volunteers in 26 years. Today another backup quarterback became Kentucky’s hero. A few of the Cats’ most notable accomplishments:
- The Cats snapped a five-game losing streak to Louisville.
- It was UK’s first win over a Top 25 team on the road since their ’02 victory at No. 17 UofL.
- UK has seven regular-season wins for the first time since 2009.
- UK rushed for 229 yards today, the most this season against Louisville, who came into the game with the nation’s No. 6 rush defense at 99.2 yards per game.
- UK averaged 8.07 yards per play today, compared to Louisville’s 4.27 yard average.
- Stephen Johnson had 338 yards passing, 421 total yards and 3 touchdowns, all career-highs. He’s bringing this sweet trophy home.
Don’t stop celebrating just yet. The night is still young.
Stoops’ staff hits the road recruiting tomorrow. While they’re on the road for the next week the players will not practice, but will still spend time running and lifting as a team. They’ll learn their bowl fate December 4. Until then, it’s a party, it’s a party, its a party.