Notes From Monday’s Two-A-Days

Former RB Derrick Locke returned to campus with his son Kelton to watch his successors, via @UKStoopsTroops.

Beginning this morning, the Kentucky football team will practice five times between now and Wednesday.  An important part of the preseason, Stoops wants to see productive intensity throughout this stretch.  But before looking ahead, he looked back on Saturday’s scrimmage.

—  The offense took care of the ball.  Mark Stoops commended his quarterbacks’ efficiency.  They took care of the ball with exceptional decision-making.  If the offense was faced with a 2nd and long, they got enough yards to make it 3rd and manageable.

Defensively, Stoops was glad they limited the offense from explosive plays.  The one big play they did allow was a turnover opportunity but, “Juice ended up making a very difficult catch and made a big play out of it.”

The linebackers struggled.  It wasn’t just that they struggled to wrap up.  Simply put, there were too many mental mistakes.

“We were not real disciplined in our drops,” Stoops said.  “We were not real disciplined in our fits and weren’t around the football enough.”

He said nobody needs more live reps than the inexperienced linebackers.  He stole Eddie Gran’s catch-word “bullets,” because they must learn how to appropriately react in difficult game-like situations.

Filling the hole left by Regie Meant.  Stopping the run will be this team’s Kryptonite.  Luckily, Adrian Middleton is doing an exceptional job filling the run gaps on first and second down.  Now they need Alvonte Bell to step up to provide more help in third down passing situations.

—  Mikel Horton is already back.  Mark Stoops’ immediate prognosis for Horton’s injured ankle wasn’t good, but he was already back on the field today.  “Amazing what happens when you got a lot of depth,” Stoops said.

There are a lot of benefits to intense competition.  This one is overlooked by many.  Needing reps to stay in the hunt for snaps, players are fighting through bumps and bruises to make sure they don’t miss any opportunities.

—  The benefits from Eli Brown’s redshirt.  Each year there are stories about players who benefitted from their redshirt season.  It gets a little overblown, but in Brown’s case, it’s different.

Brown came to Kentucky with an injured knee.  As soon as he arrived, he was in rehab.  Normally at this point in the year he has tendinitis and is required to constantly ice it, but now it is no longer a worry.

More importantly, his redshirt year was different than most.  Instead of a heavy lifting schedule and scout team assignment, he was a standby redshirt.  He received reps with the first and second string, putting him ahead for this season.

“It helped me learn plays because I was learning the defense,” Brown said.  “Coming into this year I already knew what the coach was talking about because I knew the base defense; I knew what the coach was talking about.  I felt like I was ahead, so I got to come in right away and battle for a spot without having to take a step back.”

—  Charles Walker was ecstatic after receiving his scholarship.  When Walker received the news Friday night, he admitted to tearing up a little bit.  He simply couldn’t contain his excitement, “My heart was jumping out of my chest.”

Unfortunately, he had to keep it cool for a couple of hours.  The news was announced before two hours of meetings.  When he finally told his parents, the timing was excellent.  They were out to dinner, celebrating his sister’s engagement.  He told his sister, “Now you have some more money for the wedding.”

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

10 Comments for Notes From Monday’s Two-A-Days

1. Rick_S
    1:14 pm August 15, 2016 Permalink

Roush get some basketball info

• BluKudzu
      1:26 pm August 15, 2016 Permalink

Someone is using my logo. I apologize for their actions. I would never post anything like that.

• macsauce13
      1:35 pm August 15, 2016 Permalink

Its football season. Basketball can wait its turn.

• Mathlete
      1:43 pm August 15, 2016 Permalink

Also, Roush is almost always on the football beat

2. BluKudzu
    1:40 pm August 15, 2016 Permalink

What happened to the rude remark that was left under my name? I hope they find whoever is doing this and block them from posting.

I just read where owners of a website, was found to be liable for not stopping a commentor on their sight who has been bullying and stalking a participant, for much less than what has been going on here, and also liable for facilitating and allowing identity theft. The person who was the target of the ID theft, bullying and stalking, got compensated, by both the web site, and the person who was doing the ID theft, stalking and bullying. The perp also got 6 months, plus other stipulations as well.

• macsauce13
      1:42 pm August 15, 2016 Permalink

Are you suggesting compensation and jail time for impersonating your alias? lol

• BluKudzu
      3:53 pm August 15, 2016 Permalink

Never in a million years.

I have nothing of significance to be said or guarded in this forum that I can I think of. I rant about my team and my teams coaches, only because I want to see them do better, of which I believe they can. What can I say, beats politics.

Call me names, ridicule me, I am cool with that. There is no reason for the use of my posting ID to be used in process of spite for hateful and hurtful purposes to anyone.

People don’t like what I have to say, don’t read it. Got a different opinion? Share it. Enlighten me and show me I am wrong. Personal attacks because I do not agree with the way they want people to think is a sign of the lack of intelligence and heavy insecurity. It shows everyone how small of a person they actually are.

However, I did just find it interesting that something, such as petty and immature as these actions are, could blow up to such an incredible mess. I also find it odd that the host could be found liable. That was scary strange to me, but now according to what I read, legal precedence has been established. The story I read, mentioned the protocol which had to be established prior to getting the police and legal action rolling. It was not as much as I had originally thought. It was just show evidence, and reply with a request to stop, then on the next occurrence show both the the offending deed, and show the date of it and your request that they stop it. The attorney sends a letter, the police get the complaint via email, the ISP is located, done.

What is even worse, I think, which I failed to mention previously, the victim also has plans to file suit for civil rights violations. I am not sure as to the context of the event which caused this, other than the mention of it being extremely petty, but somebody got a real thorn in their backside over this. Once proven in a court of law, the limits of damages are pretty much wide open.

This also happened a couple years back when a girl’s mother was found liable for another girls suicide from on line taunting.

You never know, someone, somewhere, has asked for legal representation and had gotten the police involved as well. It could happen here, if somebody gets mad enough to do something about it. I suppose it is inevitable though.

The only effective way to deal with cowards, is to use the legal channels in doing so. People are getting fed up. Not too hard to get a screen shot and hand it over to the police, just a couple clicked buttons on a cell phone, they find the ISP, and the real game is on.

• scorpiocard
      6:01 pm August 15, 2016 Permalink

Man, and I thought UofL fans were crybabies. Kudzu takes the cake.

• BluKudzu
      6:23 pm August 15, 2016 Permalink

Yep. That’s 480 words of pure butt hurt. I don’t have much else.

3. Sentient Third Eye