Not Focused on the Future, Eddie Gran wants to win for the Seniors

As Kentucky’s 2020 football season nears a close, the BBN is looking ahead to see what’s next for the program as it limps to the finish line after top 25 preseason expectations. Fans are not alone. Mark Stoops said as much Monday afternoon.

“We do need to get better,” Stoops said. “There’s no denying that. Some of the football that we’ve put out there is unacceptable and that’s my job as the head coach to look at that and address it and improve. I don’t want to get into specifics. There’s no time for pointing fingers and doing all that right now. But I have to continue to move the program forward. There’s no doubt in my mind I have to continue to look at all things and improve and get better. I will certainly do that after this week.”

As for Eddie Gran, Kentucky’s offensive coordinator was unwilling to share any details on what the future of UK’s offense might look like, or if he will be a part of it.

“Right now I’m just trying to get two halves put together for this weekend for these seniors. If we can put two halves together, finish and be consistent; really excited about just trying to finish for these guys right now. That’ll happen after Sunday for sure, jumping right on it and going from there,” Gran said.

Gran wants to send the seniors out with a win. Some may have the opportunity to return for another year of football in Lexington. He has not been a part of any of those conversations so far.

“The way this year has gone, I’m focusing on getting a touchdown in the red zone. I’m focusing on converting on third down and really that’s been the full focus for me,” Gran said. “A lot of that will be with the head football coach and when he wants me to be a part of it, I’ll be a part of it. I just really haven’t — I’m trying to get these kids through a difficult time and to finish strong. That’s where my energy is right now.”

Obviously, the year has not gone according to plan in almost every facet of life for Kentucky football players and coaches, both on and off the field. Despite the struggles, Gran is proud of the way the Wildcats have battled through adversity every single week. It may be difficult now, but it will pay dividends down the road.

“I gotta be honest with you, the resiliency of these young men, of this football team, it’s really amazing. They came out yesterday and today we had as good of a practice on a Tuesday that we’ve had, and for them to keep battling and doing that just says a lot about them. Coach Stoops has done a fantastic job of talking to these guys. Yes, it’s hard, but God’s got a plan here and it’s making us all stronger.

“Later on down in life everybody’s going to look back at 2020 and ask, how did you handle it? How did you face adversity? It’s been tough on every one of those young men for a lot of reasons as we all know. But then you add the football part of it and here we are, the last week of the season and our kids are taking finals and they’re practicing. It has been taxing, but I’m so proud of them. They’re grinders and I think it’ll pay off for them later on in life for sure.”

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

12 Comments for Not Focused on the Future, Eddie Gran wants to win for the Seniors

1. cats646
    3:20 pm December 2, 2020 Permalink

Man I tell you what, I like Eddie Gran a lot as a person. I really wish he was better or would get better because I love having him around our program, but we can’t keep him if our offense stays like this. FIRE EDDIE GRAN UNLESS HE CHANGES!! Lol.

• ClutchCargo
      3:26 pm December 2, 2020 Permalink

Agree. I don’t think he forgot how to coach football when he came to UK. Stoops just needs to leave him alone to do his thing offensively, and hopefully this shitshow of a season will be the eye-opener it takes to make that happen. Then if the offense still sucks, FIRE EDDIE GRAN!!

• cats646
      3:32 pm December 2, 2020 Permalink

Haha yessir. I hope you’re right and they get it fixed.

• makeitstop
      8:30 pm December 2, 2020 Permalink

Agree completely. I like him but it’s about performance and at a 7 figure comp package, expectations are high and they should be. If u don’t, someone else will. He knows that, he’s an adult.

• 77CatFan
      7:28 pm December 3, 2020 Permalink

Stoops is the reason Eddie Gran gets the blame. Stoops should hire someone to run the option and get it over with. Hire the Army OC.

2. ukkatzfan
    3:33 pm December 2, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know issue with offense. I am curious if offense would improve with Eddie in the booth and Darrin on the ground. I do hope the offense can improve with main players on staff intact. But without knowing issue, not my place to call for anybody’s job either way.

3. kyle heavy
    4:05 pm December 2, 2020 Permalink

I respect that.

4. theweeze
    4:24 pm December 2, 2020 Permalink

Seems like a nice guy. Don’t know if it is his playcalling, Stoops holding him back, or if he feels we can’t do what needs to be done with the players we have. Our run game wasn’t what was expected for this year as our O-line wasn’t as good as advertised. But a problem we do have with the O-line is that we can run block but our pas block needs to get way better! Sometimes we couldn’t block 3 or 4 guys and our QB was running for his life. With the caliber of guys we have that should not be a problem.

• BobbyBlue
      5:41 pm December 2, 2020 Permalink

When they went exclusively with Benny and then with Bowden running the ball,
      somebody forgot to coach up a plan to give the QB any time to throw. I don’t believe it all should be on Gran. Hell he was gangbusters at Cincy with b his passing game !

5. BobbyBlue
    5:36 pm December 2, 2020 Permalink

The problem is that Ky can not recruit a QB that can throw down field. A lot CB like like the desperation recruiting at the end of Tubbys time at UK

• Bluehender
      9:18 pm December 2, 2020 Permalink

I don’t believe that Gatewood and Beau Allen can’t throw down the field. I know that they can. The problem is only one playmaker at wide receiver (Ali) and he gets the other team’s best defenders. We need at least 2 threats on the edges and really 3-4 to have success. But Gatewood and Allen can throw it down the field. Hopefully next year they will have multiple targets.

6. Matt10
    9:11 pm December 2, 2020 Permalink

Imagine this was written about Alabama or any other top program.
    Yeah, pathetic.
    They dealt fine and didn’t make excuses.