There will be familiar faces on the opposing sideline when Mark Stoops looks across Neyland Stadium’s field Saturday afternoon. Two of Jeremy Pruitt’s top assistant coaches are former Kentucky assistants under Stoops, which means former co-workers will collide when the Cats and Vols kick off at noon.

Vols defensive coordinator Derrick Ansley coached defensive backs for three seasons at Kentucky, and had accepted a promotion to co-defensive coordinator following the 2015 season, until accepting a job at Alabama a week later. He is now in his second season as Pruitt’s DC.

Joining Ansley as co-defensive coordinator and coach of the defensive line, former UK defensive line coach Jimmy Brumbaugh is in his first season in Knoxville. Brumbaugh coached in Lexington for four seasons through the 2016 TaxSlayer Bowl, and then had two brief stints at Maryland and Colorado.

Then there is one Vols assistant Kentucky can’t exactly claim, but his time in UK blue does exist. UT legend Tee Martin is Tennessee’s passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach; however, he was once a Wildcat as UK’s wide receivers coach in the two seasons prior to Stoops’ arrival.

Looking ahead to Saturday’s reunion with a couple of his former employers, Stoops shrugged off the notion that there is bad blood between his staff and the members of his former staff who now wear Tennessee orange.

No different than any other team,” Stoops said. “The guys that left here, I have a great relationship with. (They’re) great coaches, great people, great families that I’m still very close to and have a good relationship with, so I wish those guys nothing but the best individually. But obviously the game is competitive just like every other one we play this year.”

He was asked because Vince Marrow hinted at some negative recruiting coming from that direction in the past. You may recall, on National Signing Day last December, Marrow had some words for a rival program, and though he never said Tennessee, it was in response to a question about the Kentucky-Tennessee recruiting rivalry.

“We will never negative recruit a school, but I can’t say the same for some other schools,” Marrow replied, “and you know what, we’re going to battle and I think that’s a good rival… We’re always going to be who we’re going to be, and they’re going to be who they’re going to be. They signed some pretty good players that we were recruiting, and we got some guys that they were recruiting, and I’m pretty sure this battle is going to go on and on.”

The battle will go on, indeed.

Hopefully the trend of Tennessee winning does not.

Article written by Drew Franklin

17 Comments for “No different than any other team,” Stoops says of former assistants on Tennessee staff

1. RackEmWillie
    3:18 pm October 12, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, Tee was never here when Stoops was here.

2. CatsDLegit
    3:23 pm October 12, 2020 Permalink

Tommy Mainord was WR coach the first few years under Stoops.

3. ClutchCargo
    3:48 pm October 12, 2020 Permalink

Facts are optional here.

4. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    3:56 pm October 12, 2020 Permalink

How can Kentucky not claim Tee and Stoops can, this is the only place Stoops has coached and Tee was under The Joke……. This is why you shouldn’t smoke weed or get drunk before posting.

5. dcforuk
    4:27 pm October 12, 2020 Permalink

Really? You guys really hen-pecking the author like that? C’mon man! You’re killin me smalls! Really? I got some house projects I don’t have time to do. Want to come over and stain my driveway for me? Seriously, you really complaining about that?

What is not clear about this?

Ridiculous. When you complain about the small stuff you lose credibility for the bigger stuff.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      4:51 pm October 12, 2020 Permalink

He changed it…..at first it said Kentucky couldn’t claim him but he coached wr under Stoops his first 2 years.

• Bluehender
      4:52 pm October 12, 2020 Permalink

Some people are on here only to complain. They live for it…

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      4:56 pm October 12, 2020 Permalink

I’ll give you that bluehender

• Bluehender
      5:03 pm October 12, 2020 Permalink

Clutch said it best..facts are optional

6. Drew Franklin
    4:50 pm October 12, 2020 Permalink

Hello. I mistakenly wrote Tee Martin coached under Stoops when he actually coached under Joker. I’m stupid. Carry on.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      4:52 pm October 12, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think you’re stupid, that’s why I made a joke out of it. We all make mistakes.

7. CJKAssassin123
    5:16 pm October 12, 2020 Permalink

I hate to be this guy but UK is going to get buttraped by Tennessee, and balls deep!!!

• BowdenQB4ever
      5:35 pm October 12, 2020 Permalink

At least when stoops is wearing a mask we don’t have to see the stupid “I have no idea what to do here” look on his face as his team crumbles.

8. 2andToodleLoo
    7:44 pm October 12, 2020 Permalink

The facts are that Stoops went against a former coach one time and evidently didn’t change play calls/signals and we got beat. Hope he learned from that mistake.

9. KyZoneBlitz
    10:24 pm October 12, 2020 Permalink

We were 2 yards away from a win against the Vols last season without throwing a pass. I think we have a legit shot at winning the game. Miss states defense is top-2/3 in our league, the Vols defense isn’t, I think they compare more to Auburn’s defense, and we moved the ball pretty well against them for the most part.

10. Urincatland
    4:33 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

Does Coach Stoops make mistakes? Absolutely! He’s not perfect, neither are you! Is this program much better under Coach Stoops? Absolutely! Would you like to go back to the Joker days? Hell NO! People, stop your bitching, it could be a helluva lot worse! Just saying!