When Kentucky fans flip through Phil Steele’s 2020 College Football Preview, on the SEC page they will find nine Wildcats on the All-SEC Team.
Kentucky’s All-SEC class is headlined by a pair of players from the Big Blue Wall, Drake Jackson and Darian Kinnard. 2019 Ray Guy Award winner Max Duffy rounds out UK’s first team selections. A look at Kentucky’s entire All-SEC crew:
- Drake Jackson, First Team Center
- Darian Kinnard, First Team Offensive Tackle
- Max Duffy, First Team Punter
- Landon Young, Second Team Offensive Tackle
- Quinton Bohanna, Second Team Defensive Lineman
- Boogie Watson, Second Team Linebacker
- Josh Ali, Fourth Team Wide Receiver
- Josh Paschal, Fourth Team Defensive Line
- Kelvin Joseph, Fourth Team Defensive Back
Even with four different All-SEC teams, nine players is a lot of players. For comparison’s sake, Tennessee is behind Kentucky with eight picks and ahead of UK’s historic 2018 season only four Wildcats made Phil Steele’s preseason All-SEC team — Benny Snell, Josh Allen, Mike Edwards and C.J. Conrad.
Of the Wildcats on Steele’s All-SEC, the most surprising addition is Joseph. Plenty of hype has followed Bossman Fat from Baton Rouge. Even though almost all of UK’s second-ranked secondary returns in 2020, after conversations with UK’s coaches Steele selected Joseph as the best of the bunch.
There are two players omitted from Steele’s preseason list that will likely play their way into contention for postseason All-SEC honors, linebacker DeAndre Square and safety Yusuf Corker, the Wildcats’ top two returning tacklers.