Bryan Lynn | USA Today

Bryan Lynn | USA Today

Bryan Lynn | USA Today

Here’s a fun fact: Boom Williams ranks 10th in the country in rushing yards with 464 through four games. UK’s junior running back is averaging eight yards per carry, which has the Alabama coaching staff so concerned that, according to Ben Jones, they’re reportedly yelling the stat at their defense during drills in practice this week. On today’s SEC Coaches Teleconference, Nick Saban said Boom may be the best back Alabama’s faced all season.

“He’s certainly going to be a challenge for us and maybe the best back we’ve played against so far this year,” Saban said. “They have three backs that have been productive in my opinion. He’s obviously the most productive.”

That’s pretty high praise from Saban, whose team has shut down USC’s Ronald Jones II, Western Kentucky’s Anthony Wales, and Ole Miss’ Akeem Judd so far this season. None of those backs are as elite as Boom, who will face the best rushing defense in the SEC (fifth nationally) in Tuscaloosa.

Let’s relive Boom’s big 43-yard touchdown from the South Carolina game, because I have a feeling we won’t see a bunch of them on Saturday:

10 Comments for Nick Saban: Boom Williams may be the best running back Alabama has played this year

1. Catsby80
    3:42 pm September 28, 2016 Permalink

Let me preface this by saying that I don’t really expect it to happen… But it would be pretty sweet if we got the ball first in the game and he ripped off an 80 yard touchdown on the first touch. Again, I don’t expect that to happen, but it would be pretty cool to see the look on the fans’ faces if he just blew the doors off on the first play from scrimmage.

2. ClutchCargo
    3:45 pm September 28, 2016 Permalink

I hate to say it, but a successful game this Saturday might be one where we come away with no significant injuries.

• az1006
      3:58 pm September 28, 2016 Permalink

Why hate to say it? That’s my sentiment exactly. Would be tough to swallow losing a key contributor in a blowout loss. And hearing that Bama coaches are essentially targeting Boom in practice by constantly reminding the defense of his YPC average doesn’t make me feel better about it.

Stoops better be careful in this one. If we’re down 21+ at halftime, play the backups and start preparing for Vandy.

• runningunnin.454
      6:17 pm September 28, 2016 Permalink

Here I go again. We could use a 2 back set or the old Delaware T wing set and they couldn’t “target” anybody.

3. the ghost of Bill Hicks
    4:07 pm September 28, 2016 Permalink

hopefully the Bama players think they can mail it in…..which they may be able to do and still beat us by 3 TD’s.

4. secrick
    4:22 pm September 28, 2016 Permalink

He may be playing the best running back he’s played all season and it may not be Boom.

• truBLU
      8:34 pm September 28, 2016 Permalink

Sssshhhh…the coaches are trying to keep the secret til next year haha.

5. Well, those are nice words and all from the little Nick-tator, but I remember what his defense did to Leonard Fournette last year. Hopefully that was due to Miles’ unimaginative offense, and hopefully Boom can get loose for at least a few nice runs.

6. RealCatsFan
    9:33 pm September 28, 2016 Permalink

Wonder how Damien Harris feels about Saban saying that about Boom.

7. satcheluk
    3:54 am September 29, 2016 Permalink

I would be happy with beating the spread, say 28-10, and not turning the ball over. If we are able to run the ball with reasonable effectiveness, even if we can’t punch it in the endzone, that would be something we could build on moving forward.