NFL Scouts impressed by Kentucky’s defensive line

True Sophomore Quinton Bohanna

The defensive line has been one of Kentucky’s weakest units in recent years, but according to Vince Marrow, that’s about to change in a big way. On KSR this morning, Marrow said pro scouts who have attended practice believe Kentucky’s defensive line has just as much talent as Alabama or Ohio State’s.

“This is my sixth year here and this is probably the most talent we’ve had on the D-Line as a group since I’ve been here. Every NFL team has been through here already. There have been a lot of pro scouts in here and they say we have just as much talent as Alabama and Ohio State, prospect wise.”

The most impressive of the bunch? True sophomore nose guard Quinton Bohanna, whom one scout told Marrow he would draft right now.

“I tell you what, the big boy in the middle? He’s a future stud. Man, he is. He’s a grown man. I had someone on the field the other day — a couple of scouts were looking at some of our guys that are seniors — he said, ‘I’ll take 95 right now. Right now.'”

In the past, Kentucky’s had standouts on the defensive line like Bud Dupree or Za’Darius Smith; Marrow said the unit’s talent from top to bottom this year will make a world of difference.

“I think that we have at least seven to eight good, quality defensive lineman that can play this year in the SEC,” Marrow said. “We haven’t had that before. We had Bud, we had Z, but you’ve gotta have a group of guys that can go in a rotation and come in and finish this thing out.”

“Their bodies look different,” Marrow added, praising the strength and conditioning staff. “They look like dudes we used to go against six years ago when we first got here. We didn’t have them guys. Now we’ve got them guys.”

[mobile_ad]

8 Comments for NFL Scouts impressed by Kentucky’s defensive line

1. CombatMedic_98
    12:48 pm August 21, 2018 Permalink

Yep size and strength is a major factor in football…#SIZEMATTERZ

2. kjd
    1:12 pm August 21, 2018 Permalink

Let’s bring it!
    Go Big Blue!

3. Catscats23
    1:42 pm August 21, 2018 Permalink

We hear this kinda stuff every year. I wanna actually see it on Saturdays for once.

• KyZoneBlitz
      5:11 am August 23, 2018 Permalink

Actually when it comes to the D-line, we never hear this kind of stuff. We haven’t heard anything lile this about the Dline since Bud and Z, and that was about Bud and Z. Elam was supposed to change that, but couldn’t cut out the distractions. We’ve got some talent, maybe not quite what Bama and the suckeyes have, but alot better than what most people think. Just have to show it on the field this season, and I think we will do that.

4. EastKYCAT
    2:36 pm August 21, 2018 Permalink

Actually we don’t hear a lot of this kind of noise for the D-lineman. Mainly we hear in the years past is how weak we are at defensive line. We look more like a d-line this year. I am excited about the year. Hoping we play as a whole unit on the defensive side of the ball. Then we will put up defensive numbers of a solid SEC school.

5. jimmer
    3:29 pm August 21, 2018 Permalink

I like that the staff and players are upbeat and optimistic but AIN’t NO WAY we have same talent as Bama and OSU. Otherwise we wouldn’t be picked as 70th best in country.

6. N-UR-i
    9:32 pm August 21, 2018 Permalink

That is like saying Alabama has the same talent on their basketball team as UK. Just silly.

7. CombatMedic_98