NFL scout says Kentucky’s play-calling is terrible

It’s not uncommon for fans to play armchair quarterback and criticize the play-calling and strategies of the coaching staff when things aren’t going well. But at Kentucky, things are going well, and there are still some serious criticisms of the Cats’ offense, despite having only one loss through seven games.

This excerpt from Saturday Down South, about UK’s offense, is only going to throw more fuel on the fans’ fire.

In SDS’s “What I’m hearing about SEC teams in Week 9,” one NFL scout told the website Kentucky is too conservative with the ball. “The play-calling is terrible,” the scout said.

NFL scout on Kentucky: QB an ‘issue’ but ‘the play-calling is terrible’

Kentucky likely will use multiple quarterbacks this week at Missouri, a game that both teams desperately need. Mizzou is in danger of not qualifying for the postseason, and Kentucky – one NFL scout told me – looks like a team “just trying to make it to that Georgia game over the last three weeks.” The Kentucky defense hasn’t slipped at all this season. The offense is a completely different story. “Clearly the quarterback is an issue,” the scout said. “But the play-calling is terrible. They’re too conservative. They’re not nearly as aggressive as they were early in the season. It’s like the quarterback who has a receiver wide open, no one around him for 10 yards, and the quarterback misses the throw because he doesn’t want to miss the throw. That’s what Kentucky looks like on offense now. They know their defense is holding the rope. But instead of getting after it, they’re just hanging on and trying to do the least amount of damage. That’s a recipe for disaster.” [Saturday Down South]

The unnamed scout puts some of the blame on Terry Wilson’s hesitance to throw, but calls out the entire offense for not being assertive when it has an outstanding defense to back it up. UK’s offense is just hanging on instead, the scout said.

But will it revert back to its early season ways on Saturday? It better, if it wants to keep winning games. The defense can’t be expected to do it every week.

[Saturday Down South]

Article written by Drew Franklin

114 Comments for NFL scout says Kentucky’s play-calling is terrible

1. cats646
    3:26 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

He’s right. Our play calling has sucked!

• CombatMedic_98
      5:27 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

We have had 2 issues: QB & OC! Needs addressed immediately and it was. Hoak is readying to take over. This will be Wilson’s last chance Saturday to prove himself. Other than that you Wilson Lovers please reread this article and have some crow tonight!!!!

• 4everUKblue
      6:16 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Your delusional medic/slater if you think Hoak is going to take over full time. And you need to reread the article and suck some more Hoak. You’re a complete slater which is lower than an idiot.

• CombatMedic_98
      9:28 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Quit trolling me wierdo’s…

• haroldhanson
      6:26 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Terry Wilson has actually been a very decent throwing QB. His completion % on the season is better than any of Barker’s, Johnson’s, and Towles’. Granted the season isn’t over, but really he hasn’t had any truly bad throwing games besides Vandy. If he can get the fumbles under control he could become the best QB we’ve had under Stoops.

• cats646
      7:05 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Medic, pipe down pathetic child

2. Parker_UKFanNC
    3:29 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

We will never win a SEC championship or even make the game with Gran as the OC

• Bill3
      5:25 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Why are you laying this at Gran’s feet? When he was at Cincinnati he threw the ball all over the field. If you are the OC and the HC says run the ball … run it, run it, and run it some more, then you run the ball. When Brown was here the HC pulled him back saying too much passing keeps the defense on the field too long. Probably because we weren’t completing passes. We’ve had some great offensive teams but our defenses were not very good or worse. So now we’re 6 – 1, without a field goal kicker. Yes we need to improve our passing game, but I’m not sure making Gran the culprit makes any sense.

• justgettingstartedbro
      9:57 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Miles Butler is 6-1 as the starting kicker for this team.

• cats646
      7:06 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Cincy isn’t the SEC bud.

• bluecrowe
      7:23 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Amen! When you have a defense this dominant, it affords you the luxury of throwing the ball all over the field if you want to do that. You do not need a QB who in theory can run, when you have Snell. What you need is for someone to stretch the field. When you know people are having trouble scoring on your defense, why do you have such a stagnant offense? We beat Florida and SC by throwing the ball as well as running. When I think of how we throw to Conrad once a game, I just cringe. Remember, these coordinators have no loyalty to us. If they are not doing their job then we are allowed to say something. When they have an ounce of success here, they are off to another job at the drop of a hat.

• ryanbruner
      8:09 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

That’s wrong, very wrong. In the SEC you run the ball and play defense

• Bluecreeker
      12:44 pm October 28, 2018 Permalink

@ryanbruner: In the SEC and football in general the run sets up the pass, and the pass sets up the run. In the SEC if all you do is run you give your opponent a 15 yard field of play which is very easy to defend.

Not sure who decided Terry couldn’t pass? he is a freshman in reality, he has never played ball in SEC speed. He is better now than he was early in the year, however he will never reach his potential handing the ball off. Balance in the offense has been needed….

Note to Grand: CJ Conrad is the most under utilized offensive weapon in college football today IMO.

3. UKLugo
    3:32 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Well, the QB has to let it go. As the scout implicates, the receiver is open down the field. Wilson has seemed too scared to throw it. Let it fly!

• J-Dub421
      4:19 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

You do realize that that was just an analogy right?

• ClutchCargo
      4:54 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

UKLugo, that analogy sailed over your head like a receiver cut off his route too soon at the 20 and the quarterback threw it to the endzone. Ha!

• CombatMedic_98
      9:21 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Denial…!

• UKLugo
      5:36 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Okay. I see that now. But Ive seen Wilson leave chance after chance out there to go down the field without pulling the trigger. A&M exposed him. They dared him to throw deep and he wouldn’t do it. Now everyone just stacks the box and dares him to beat them. So, although, it may have been an analogy. There was some truth in it in regards to the QB play and thats not on the play call.

4. Nickerbocker05
    3:42 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

100% agree!! And 100% accurate on the NFL Scouts observance.

5. jccuk
    3:42 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Play calling has a lot to do how our quarterback plays, if we are being too conservative to not make mistakes that is how a QB is going to play, conservative and afraid to make a mistake. Go back to the FL game, we took the fight to them and actually threw and ran the ball to set up plays and actually hit Conrad going down the field 8-10 yards down the field and not this silly 2 yard pass parallel to the line of scrimmage. It hurts to watch this stagnant offense. Open it up!!

6. Reese Davis
    3:44 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Our defense is unreal. They’ve put our team on their back to an extent that I’ve never seen besides maybe some of the LSU teams over the years. We have a good o-line, we have a stud at RB, we have good wide receivers, and we have options at quarterback. How are we not scoring at least 30 a game?

• UKPROF
      7:18 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

I totally agree Reese. Is Eddie out of his league (should be in Division II) or do we have several key players that are out of their league and should not be at UK? I think Eddie is WAY in over his head and is not capable of coaching effectively against SEC competition.

7. Cmart0907
    3:44 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Tell us something we don’t know!!!

• JohnnyCheeseSticks
      3:49 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

I agree with all of these comments.
      I hope Gran knows and reads all of this garbage. He doesn’t realize how much his play-calling is trash. Buy that MF out.

8. Ridge Runner
    3:48 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Combat Medic will climax with this info…

9. davis2319
    3:55 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

You don’t have to be an NFL scout to notice how bad/conservative our play calling is. We had a huge first half against South Carolina. Since the 2nd half of that game our offense has been so stagnant. In that 2nd half against USC we were so conservative that I think we got our offense (especially Terry Wilson) out of the rhythm it was in. In turn that has made confidence an issue. All of the trouble stems from the USC second half.

10. Headhurts
    3:56 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Stoops is the head man, if it’s that damn bad that’s on him, u either keep your OC and trust in him or you take over play calling or you fire your OC, were 6-1 and a OT game from being undefeated, who else in the sec can say that besides Alabama.

11. mothandras
    3:58 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

I heard Neal Brown was officially looking.

• ClutchCargo
      3:59 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

That ship has sailed until we’re looking for a HC again, which I hope isn’t anytime soon.

• az1006
      4:05 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

This is a dumb comment…He’s not looking for an OC job, and our head coach has this team on the verge of an historic season. Get real.

12. Bluebloodtoo
    4:07 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

How do you know that gran has an open playbook? Maybe his boss is reducing the playbook or forcing conservative play calling.

13. N-UR-i
    4:08 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

I’m sorry, but if this is news to you I dont know how to help you. This has been the case for a few years. Anytime we get a little edge we start playing “not to lose” football. It has cost us many games.

• east-ky-boy
      4:40 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

TRUTH

• WildcatCam
      6:34 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Yes! I hate that we take our feet off the gas so hard!!

14. dkcr96
    4:09 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Exactly

15. 4everUKblue
    4:11 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

I’ve been saying all along this was the main problem, but so many critics on here want to put all the blame on TW. I agree with the comment above that it all goes back to the USC second half when we went conservative.

• henderblue
      4:18 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

I agree 100% was going to make the same comment.

• east-ky-boy
      4:27 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

The article did say the quarterback was an issue. And so is the play calling. I ultimately blame gran more than a college kid. But fumbles isn’t play calling.

• east-ky-boy
      4:32 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

And a lot of my issue is I HATE to see a running quarterback style of offense. I’m more of a pro style person. So that’s part of my issue. But I will say this, as long as we keep winning I’m fine. I’ve been a diehard fan my entire life and I stay positive when most don’t so I’m gonna soak this up. The reason some us are still complaining is not because we are just bandwagons, it’s because we realize how good our defense is, how talented we are and how if we had an accurate qb that didn’t fumble then we would be on a whole other level. Agree to disagree my friend. Go big Blue

• 4everUKblue
      4:33 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

His fumble issue has gotten better, he had a great run before the one fumble he’s made in a few games, if I’m not mistaken and actually it was a good defensive play.

• east-ky-boy
      4:36 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

I will say a fumble issue can be fixed. I was a running back in high school so that’s true

• CombatMedic_98
      9:23 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Maybe send Wilson some pointers

• CombatMedic_98
      5:24 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Really now…wow!

16. az1006
    4:12 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

I do get the impression we play not to lose on offense far too often. Some of that, I’m sure, is the coaching staff’s obvious lack of trust in our passing game. But, honestly, a lot of our issues the last two games have been other factors too. The biggest one being untimely penalties and the two fumbles. If a few of those penalties don’t get called, or if Wilson doesn’t put the ball on the ground, how much different does the Vanderbilt game look? Same can be said for the A&M game, with regards to penalties. Every time we had any momentum at all, a false start or holding penalty pushed us back again. When that happens, it forces the hand of the coaching staff in many ways because you are behind the chains. With the makeup of our team, you really HAVE to be conservative in those circumstances. Gran has said many times, this team isn’t really built to play behind the chains, and we’ve been doing that far too often lately, 99% of it due to penalties.

Could there be more aggressive play-calling? Sure. But, as the scout said, a lot of it has been Terry not making the throw when it’s there, too. If he stops playing timid, a lot of the issues are fixed (assuming we can play a clean game).

• east-ky-boy
      4:28 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

I agree. Wilson is to blame as much as anyone. But that still comes down to gran being to stubborn to not make a change.

• 4everUKblue
      4:38 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

And some people are just dying to blame Wilson, he is not perfect as I am sure all of his critics are, but he is trying his best and that’s all anyone can do. He is new to the team and I believe he will get better, but all this negative energy helps no one except the negative critics. I sure hope the players don’t read this negative BS.

• east-ky-boy
      4:48 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Why would anyone WANT it to be his fault? I think he’s a overrated player but I hope the kid proves me wrong. I hope he does great. It’s sure not got anything to do with the color of his skin if anyone thinks that. I LOVED Stephen Johnson. That kid had guts! Wilson is a pure athlete and I hope he turns it around.

• 4everUKblue
      4:52 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

I have no idea why any true fan would want him to fail, but it sure seems like there’s a pack of them that lay awake a night dreaming of him failing. Looking at you combat medic.

• CombatMedic_98
      9:24 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

It’s the WHOLE college football AUDIENCE where have you been…

17. kbo24
    4:36 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Title of this should read ‘NFL Scout says QB an issue. Won’t throw the ball when WR has no one within 10 yards of them.’ Nice try Drew…

• 4everUKblue
      4:38 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

you just read the part you wanted to see didn’t you?

• 4everUKblue
      4:48 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Maybe I missed it but I don’t recall seeing any of our receivers open with no one within 10 yards of them, I think I would have remembered that.

• Bobbum Man
      4:57 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

It was an analogy people…. he says that qb is an issue, but that the playcalling is terrible. Gran has always been and will continue to be awful until something is done about whether it’s by stoops or whoever… he’s just flat out bad and yes I get we’re 6-1, but very little of that is thanks to gran.

• ClutchCargo
      4:57 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

And didn’t even read that part very well.

• J-Dub421
      4:58 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Again, that wasn’t about TW, it was an analogy. Read it again.

• kbo24
      5:08 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

I’m with you all and see what you’re saying regarding the analogy…pretty awkward analogy imo, given the circumstances…but anyway…dude doesn’t run the play they call. He was supposed to throw it on some of those plays and didn’t…I don’t know what you do as a coaching staff in that situation.

18. jaws2
    4:42 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Stoops is the CEO of KY football. This is ALL on him. If you’re the CEO of any successful business and a President of one of your Divisions sucks, you find a new one. Same thing in football. He obviously is too loyal, or Gran has him snowed into calling games like he does.
    The parallel passes are practically useless and he’ll run them 3rd and 7, and gain 4 yards; maybe. It’s just a stupid call. Frankly I’m shocked an opponent hasn’t jumped that route and taking it too the house. I think it’s only a matter of time.

19. UKinIN
    4:46 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

I can’t believe fans think the problem is Gran. He reports to Stoops, a conservative, defense first coach. Stoops stops the offense, not Gran.

20. dcforuk
    4:51 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Have you ever watched a football game or a basketball game and listened to some of the things the expert analysts have to say? Do you agree with everything that you hear? Many of those analysts are former players or former coaches. Everybody has an opinion.

• Bobbum Man
      4:59 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

An opinion most every UK would agree with… and he’s not an expert analyst he’s a NFL scout

21. dcforuk
    5:04 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

I think many of us Kentucky football fans are still slaves to the fear of Kentucky football from the past. That’s understandable but it takes courage to think differently. Come on! Let’s go! Throw off the negative that so easily hinders and the lack of faith in Kentucky football and run with perserance this race to a New Year’s Day bowl game. Oh ye of little faith. Come on! Jump on board! There’s still plenty of room on the UK football boat of faith. Don’t be afraid!

22. dcforuk
    5:09 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

If you are an undersized big man in basketball and you go up against the likes of Shaq or Deandre Ayton, sometimes all you can do is block out and your teammates must go get the rebound. Half the battle in turning around Kentucky football program is unbelief and fear. Come on! Let’s go! Let’s believe!

23. JPGott2
    5:20 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

I have been saying this for years!!!!! Grans play calling is horrendous. It is soooo easy to call, and I am no D-1 football coach.

When you combine bad play calling with a QB that cannot make the throws, you have a recipe for disaster. Mix it up!!!

Thank you defense for being there.

• haroldhanson
      6:12 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Maybe… just maybe… the playcalling HAS to be one-sided because of the QB play. What other option do you have? You either run or you pass and if your QB isn’t passing then yes, your playbook is going to be one-dimensional. But hell, we’re UK fans we complain if they throw and fail because “they should have gave Benny the ball” and if they run and fail “oh it’s conservative playcalling”.

• JPGott2
      8:59 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Well, I am not just talking about this season. I have not been a fan of Gran since he got here. If we have a 3 point lead at half he is truly trying to make that 3 be enough.

I do not fault the pass call when it does not work. The Cats cannot give Snell the ball everytime, or just run it all day because everyone just loads the box.

If UK finds a remote passing option, Snell will be running against 6-7 man boxes and not 8-9. It will open up the field and help prevent the 3-out trend UK has experienced since the 2nd half of USCjr.

When people go, ‘well, we are 6-1 with him!’, they totally do not get that certain parts are not why that is.

If UK finds the passing game to complement out running and defense, this could be a team that wins the SEC East. Not taking those chance will waste the beat defense UK has ever fielded.

If the play calling and passing stay the same, Georgia will beat us easily. Another yardage game like Texas A&M where we could not remotely move the ball.

Go Cats!

24. dcforuk
    5:25 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

For those of you that do have children, do you ever give your kids nine presents for Christmas and they ask where present number 10 is? Or, four presents and ask where present # 5 is?

25. gasman01
    5:26 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

We need to find a way to get Bowden involved. Quick slants, jet sweeps, wildcat… He can open things up for our running game.

26. Cats N Pats
    5:27 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

And he’s not wrong. Plain and simple.

27. dcforuk
    5:33 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Exactly! The defense this year is a Christmas present worth talking anout much more than the Christmas present not YET received! That Christmas present (A great defense!) was purchased with great recruiting efforts and great coaching!

28. haroldhanson
    5:57 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

I still trust the coaching staff. We act like we actually know how to coach football but where were you at practice? We are 6-1 in a year I would have overjoyed to be 5-7. I am so excited to be a Kentucky football fan. I’m excited to see what we produce at Mizzou. Minimize turnovers and fouls, we won’t be complaining at all.

Except the kicker. We need a kicker.

29. Le Docteur
    6:04 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Amazing that no one seems to think the OC’s conservative play calling and the poor QB play are causally related. Could the OC be calling a stunted, unaggressive game because he has little confidence in his QB? All you who “trust these coaches” ought to consider whether Gran is telling you “trust me, I don’t trust our QB.”

• notFromhere
      6:17 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Very well could be. His struggles doubled when they expanded the playbook

• 4everUKblue
      6:19 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Does it make you feel like a big man to criticize a college kid? I’ll bet you were a bully growing up, because you act like a bully now!

• bluecrowe
      7:30 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

In theory this could be true, but how does that relate to what we saw in the A&M game, where he tried to “surprise” them by passing. I think you are right, but that A&M game bothers me because if you see how terrified the kid is, then put in Hoak, who at least understands how to pass. You drop back and the ball comes out. It is not complicated. Or you put Snell back in the game and start running it with the best player on the team, instead of Rose.

• makeitstop
      8:48 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

I thought the same thing. The play calling is a reflection of lack of confidence. TAMU was just a case of over thinking it like Seattle not giving it to Lynch in the SB and throwing an interception. And Pete Carroll is a great coach, so it happens. Bear Bryant lost to Tennessee missing a FG w George Blanda sitting on the bench. The only thing unforgivable is if they don’t change, bc we won’t keep winning if we don’t. Terry needs to see the field from the sideline for awhile. It may help.

30. notFromhere
    6:14 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

With our defense as stout as it is, why wouldn’t we be in 4 down, Wildcat territory. Not much chance we wouldn’t gain 10+ yards with 4 downs each series of downs.

31. dcforuk
    6:28 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Do you like being 6-1? I am humming that McDonald’s song! I am loving it and I bet deep down you are too! It’s the fear of Kentucky football of the past that has its tentacles wrapped all around you. Go to your junk drawer and get a pair of scissors and snap those tentacles off!

• WildcatCam
      6:41 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

32. gasman01
    6:29 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

It doesn’t matter to me who plays quarterback but this vanilla offense is unwatchable. Our defense is one of the best we’ve ever had.

• WildcatCam
      6:40 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Love it bro!

• WildcatCam
      6:41 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Meant that for below.

33. dcforuk
    6:32 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

I was on my way a few minutes ago to taking my H.S. daughter to tutoring that she does for middle school and elementary students. She was lecturing me about not debating you all so much. I was trying to educate her and empower her not to be afraid of her opinions when others have differing opinions. I was encouraging her to use logical arguments and not to back down when you believe strongly about something!!

• WildcatCam
      6:40 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Love it bro!

34. WildcatCam
    6:39 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Listen, I’m down for a strong running game, but can we diversify how we run the ball aside from the Wildcat formation? What about some reverses and end-arounds? We have speed, use it! Hughes? Bowden? I’m sure there’s more! Florida always finds ways to get their guys the ball whether they have a good qb or not.

• notFromhere
      6:42 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Hughes and Bowden can also throw

• notFromhere
      6:43 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Agreed, Cam

• gasman01
      6:52 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Amen Wildcat. We are wasting so much talent ( Bowden, Conrad). There are many ways to get them the ball. Let’s use them!!

35. dcforuk
    6:42 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Sorry but two more points. First, is there a little bit of truth to the conservative play calling? Yes, a little but we are winning! A pendulum’s job is not to simply swing back and forth. Its job is to regulate. The coaches realize these things, too, but are first and foremost interested in winning. Remember Herm Edwards. “Hello, you play to win the game.” Second, anonymous opinions definitionally deserve a little less credence IMO.

36. notFromhere
    6:46 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Don’t get me wrong. I’m happy we’re winning as much as I expected. It doesn’t have to be this hard to win these games with the talent they have. Everyone on the sideline will tell you that.

Most UK fans ARE looking for the negative,sure. Waiting for the other shoe to drop, absolutely. Not all are like that though

37. dcforuk
    6:54 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

The reality whether we as fans like it or not is that this is Mark Stoops’ first head coaching job and he is also learning, as is the Kentucky Football program AND the Kentucky fan base how to be in “this” situation. “This” being “success.” He deserves our support because if it were not for his leadership (and Mitch’s courage to stick with him), then there would be no 6-1. What I hear everyone saying is we can be really good and want the offense to be more dynamic. I am with you but I LOVE our record and love the excitement around our program. I will NOT identify a small fire of problems and pour gasoline on it. Which can will you use? The can of gasoline in your right hand or the can of water in your left hand?

38. The Professor
    7:15 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

You don’t have to be a pro scout to see that our play calling is not very good.

39. dcforuk
    7:39 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Is there any correlation between Saturday’s win and the play calling? I watched the SEC video posted on this blog yesterday that had Stoops mic’d up on that game winning drive. I thought his play calling was spot on…….shove the football in Benny’s hands down their proverbial throat!

40. dcforuk
    8:10 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

It is disrespectable to Benny when he carries it 32 times and fans scream that the play calling is not just a little conservative but “horrendous” “awful” “horrible” etc. Scouts are scouts. They aren’t coaches. Since Benny plays so much better angry, perhaps one of KSR’s bloggers should create a blog post entitled “Read These UK Fans’ Posts Benny & Get Angry”.

41. makeitstop
    8:40 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

This is the best team we have had in 40 years, and we have had some prodigious, clock eating drives, big first downs, and we’ve beat some good teams, including a top 10 team on the road. So while I’ve been critical of the QB, and the call at TAMU in OT was in fact terrible, it’s not fair to say the play calling has sucked. There have been 2 bad games in a row. Terry has a turnover problem. 4 TD and 5 INT is truly awful. The fumbles have really hurt – might have blown out Vandy without them and that wasn’t Gran carrying the ball in one hand away from his body. Bottom line, a QB change may alllow him to open the playbook more bc Hoak has an extra year in the system and more precise arm. Loosen those linebackers up and see how good the play calling looks when we break runs instead of getting stuffed. But this Scout is saying what many of us have the past two weeks. We need a “tweak.”

• kjd
      9:42 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Yes, install The Tweak!

42. notFromhere
    8:46 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

The question that needs to be asked is, which scout? As in any profession their are good and bad NFL scouts. Some are good at spotting certain things well and other things not so well. If they were exceptional at spotting things, they probably would be a coach and have their own team instead of just being a scout.

43. Trevathan
    9:06 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

Stoops’ comments and conservative wants on that last drive also had a lot to do with what Wilson had showed up to that point. He didn’t want to waste a down with a dropback and non-pass.

44. kjd
    9:33 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

I can’t blame Gran at this point. Stoops has his hand in it also. I don’t know what the actual play calls are, just see the end result of Wilson’s decision or lack there of.
    I know in the Vandy game, there was running labes to the outside and ball carriers cut inside for some reason.
    Also, Gran has had to scale back his offensive scheme to accommodate Wilson’s inability to execute the full package.

45. dcforuk
    10:00 pm October 25, 2018 Permalink

I think a tweak would be reasonable (as long as we keep winning!). They tried a little bit of a tweak against A&M and it did not really work. The pendulum needs a little swinging regulation the other way but still win. I think the coaches know all of this and are really wrestling with how to respond. Terry is obviously more dynamic with his feet. Downfield passing would open things up. If the answers were simple, the solution would be, too. Gunnar may help. May not help. I know this. When people in my life are upset with me and I refuse to listen to them, they feel ignored. Conversely, sometimes they do need to be ignored!

46. CopenhagenCat
    4:43 am October 26, 2018 Permalink

I been telling my friends this. Everyone blames Wilson. But its always run, run run, and then they expect him to be Tom Brady. They run so much he cant get into a grove. Stoops just wants to run and waste clock.

47. dcforuk
    8:03 am October 26, 2018 Permalink

There is a saying with golf: “there’s no description on a scorecard. There’s just a number.” I have had plenty of ugly pars (and very ugly bogeys and double bogeys)! Sometimes I have chipped in for a par 4 after hitting three ugly shots. At the end of the day, on the scorecard it really does not matter much if 15 of 18 pars were “ugly.” Let’s not get too consumed by the trees and miss the beautiful forest of a 6-1 record but let’s encourage the team and trust the coaches to make the necessary tweaks with the personnel that they have. We are not Alabama but we are pretty darn good this year and that is fun!

48. Blue_Cat75
    8:32 am October 26, 2018 Permalink

When the QB can’t make the plays you send in, you go conservative. When he can’t make conservative plays, you hand it off. That’s been the progression over the last couple games and that was the progression of the Vandy game. Point being, Wilson isn’t getting it done.

49. Bluecreeker
    12:33 pm October 28, 2018 Permalink

UK play calling is nothing short of Joker-esque.

Lets see…3rd and 8 lets pass the ball 3 yards short and hope for the best…3rd and 5 lets throw a flat pass 3 yards short of the marker and hope for the best…this after a game where you have given the opponent a 10 yard field to play on.

CJ Conrad has been on the UK squad a long time, he is arguably a first or early 2nd round NFL pick and he gets nothing.

The play calling and offensive decision making are bad (period). If you play not to lose you will lose. It is a darned good thing UK has such a great D.

Great win, good play call at the end…