New deals for Gran and House, plus the new assistant salaries

KSR-5767

We now know what it will cost to pay Mark Stoops’ two new assistant coaches, Dean Hood and Derrick LeBlanc, as well as the extensions for Eddie Gran and newly-promoted Matt House.

According to Jon Hale over at The Courier-Journal, who first reported the deals, Gran has signed a brand new extension that will keep him in Lexington through the 2019 season. The new contract will pay him $825,000 for the 2017 season with raises of $25,000 each year in 2018 and 2019. Gran’s first contract paid him $650,000 for 2016 and was set to expire after one more year.

Kentucky’s new defensive coordinator, Matt House, received a significant pay raise in his new role, going from $275,000 a year as special teams coordinator to $650,000 a year to run the defense.

As for the new guys on the team, Dean Hood signed a two-year deal at $350,000 per year and Derrick LeBlanc will make $300,000 a year for two years.

Coach Salary
Eddie Gran, Off. Coordinator $825,000 (2017); $850,000 (2018); $875,000 (2019)
Matt House, Def. Coordinator $650,000 yr. through 2019
Dean Hood, OLB/ST Coach $350,000 yr. through 2018
Derrick LeBlanc, D-Line Coach $300,000 yr. through 2018

Also worth noting: the Gran and House deals come with a $150,000 per-year buyout, while the buyout for Hood and LeBlanc is set at $100,000 per.

It’s reports like these that really make me question why I am blogging about college football and not coaching college football.

Article written by Drew Franklin

9 Comments for New deals for Gran and House, plus the new assistant salaries

1. 2Dogs
    11:15 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

It’s a good lesson for you kids out there. Be a coach, have a good season, or even a few good games, for UK football and you’ll get an extension and be set for life. If it worked for Stoops it should work for Gran.

• DACats86
      11:20 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Or, you could just be an ignorant bitter hack living with your mom and jealous of anyone’s success…

• 2Dogs
      11:50 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Mark? Eddie? Is that you. I’m just reflecting on the Barnhart blueprint of rewarding coaches for short term periods of success. As for your comments on me, I don’t think I’m ignorant, bitter or hacky and I see mother from time to time but don’t reside with her. As for jealous, absolutely yes.

2. rem392
    12:03 pm February 22, 2017 Permalink

I’m curious as to where Gran and House rank in the SEC when it comes to pay for coordinators. My guess, strictly a guess, is that they are in the bottom half of the league. I think that Gran earned his money with the job that he did last year. If you get a good coordinator you have to pay them to keep them….or someone else will pay them to take them from you. Obviously, the jury is still out on House.

3. jlkirk
    1:30 pm February 22, 2017 Permalink

What about Hinshaw? Who has the recruiting ties with S FLA?

4. UKPROF
    2:22 pm February 22, 2017 Permalink

Could this be why they had to raise the ticket prices?

5. fatbrat
    2:25 pm February 22, 2017 Permalink

Derek LeBlanc goes from making 90k to 300K..without ever doing squat..

6. bosshogg24
    4:13 pm February 22, 2017 Permalink

Every one of these guys are overpaid! Gran makes bad play calls, 3rd and 20 Gran calls a draw play, 3rd and 2 Gran throws a 40 yard side line pass! Bring in Hood from eastern who hasn’t coached a game yet and never made any money before and give him $350,000!